hitec zebra 3 aero 40 MHZ receiver

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

muchalucha

hitec zebra 3 aero 40 MHZ receiver

Post by muchalucha »

In an act of stupidity , i completely mangled the antenna on my receiver , this was quite a while ago and since then its been sitting in box doing nothing , earlier today i looked up the ariel length of another 40 mhz receiver , i cut a bit of wire to length and soldered it on , at most i can get 3 meters range , which is useless in a FW . If i remember right SimonM has got the same RX as me , so could anybody with the rx mentioned measure the length of the ariel , thanks :).

this is the exact receiver min came with :) http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/sh ... p?id=20546
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
Simon M

Re: hitec zebra 3 aero 40 MHZ receiver

Post by Simon M »

muchalucha wrote:In an act of stupidity , i completely mangled the antenna on my receiver , this was quite a while ago and since then its been sitting in box doing nothing , earlier today i looked up the ariel length of another 40 mhz receiver , i cut a bit of wire to length and soldered it on , at most i can get 3 meters range , which is useless in a FW . If i remember right SimonM has got the same RX as me , so could anybody with the rx mentioned measure the length of the ariel , thanks :).

this is the exact receiver min came with :) http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/sh ... p?id=20546
I measure it tonight when I get home from work.
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
Simon M

Post by Simon M »

it's 100cm matey.
petec

Post by petec »

Although the aerial length does affect range, on these sets it doesn't affect it that much, so you might want to check that there isn't other damage to the receiver. Generally you can work out the wavelength from the frequency and then the aerial can be any length as long as it's a divisor. (i.e. 1/2 wavelength, 1/4, 1/8, etc).
------------
RobotWars101.org
RobotWars101.co.uk
Antweights.com
Antweights.co.uk
AntweightWorldSeries.com
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

i dont think there is any other damage to the receiver , and the TX is OK , so i put it down to ariel length , if the problems dont quite after i replace the ariel , what could it be ? I know there is some source of interferance near me , im not sure where its coming from , but as soon as i go down to smc to ask why theres so much damn interferance , the problems subside :lol: . But this shouldnt affect range , i think.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Antenna length is not critical for these receivers. However, R/C receivers do tend to go "deaf" after a while, especially when they have been chucked around in a robot. The problem I found was that the tuned circuits had gone off, as the coil slugs had moved.

Unless you fancy learning the intricate details of superhet radio receivers the hard way, and have the required test kit, you probably will not get very far. Blindly twiddling will almost certainly make things worse!

Before scrapping the Rx, check that the Tx gives a decent range with another Rx. Check that the crystal works properly in another Rx.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
muchalucha

Post by muchalucha »

i have another set of crytslas , but changing them amde no difference. I have found the main source of interferance was from me , i have forwards only mosfet esc , with a homemade relay H-bridge to reverse it , if i only went forwards it was fine , but as soon as tried to turn or go backwards , it started a cycle of wild relay clicking and interferance witht the RX which further prompted wild relay clicking. im looking in to making a mosfet h bridge , but for the moment its forwards only , even with forwards only , it still stutters , and sometimes one of the motors will cut out or go a different direction , causing me to make a lot of random turns. im going to get another rx from smc next weekend , and im going to ask them if i can take it back if it dosent help at all.

EDIT : changing the arial length made no difference , there on about banning 40 mhz anyway , hell i might as well go 2.4 ghz when i get the money.
Fight or flight ... ?

...suicide