My first robot

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

You can use the circuit boards out of standard sized servos. You'd need 2, usually about ?6 each. Just take the boards out, unsolder the motor thats already attached and solder on 2 wires to your motor. Good, cheap alternative.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
MichaelGoode

Post by MichaelGoode »

Why so cheep for you haz? what do you get?
Michael
haz

Post by haz »

I used two towerpro 60g ones from giant cod which came to ?10.11 including postage i will link them tmoz, but u can use otbers.
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

60g each? thats quite heavy...
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Thats just the servo itself, probably a big heavy duty winch servo with electronics designed for a bigger motor, the electronics would be still light enough and ideal for an ant.
MichaelGoode

Post by MichaelGoode »

I dont understand :(
Michael
daliad100

Post by daliad100 »

You know how you modified your servos for drive?

You can do the same for a standard size servo then remove the board from it and swap the motor for a micro gear motor for something much more powerful

The upside is that it is a very cheap way to have speed control that works. However they often cannot take very high voltages and as single channel controllers it is a bit more difficult to make each motor work perfectly together.
Team Imperial - What is that, metric?
D0ntstare

Post by D0ntstare »

I would say just purchase one of PeteW's speed controllers they are light, very cheap and perfect for the job :D

I must say matey, you do seem to be making everything rather difficult for yourself considering this is your first robot. After reading through this thread, for example wiring your own battery why not just buy one at first pre-made? then think later on about making your own after gaining some electronics experience and help at an event.

Im taking you lack funds, so are trying to do everything on the cheap thus making a little more awkward for you to build?
'Everyone is brave behind a castle wall'

http://web.me.com/d0ntstare/Team_Stare/
MichaelGoode

Post by MichaelGoode »

Well, im not lacking funds its just I want to get the cheapest so that if it goes wrong, I wont have wasted loads of money, so want to make sure I get everything right
Michael