What to do with old and leftover parts

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Dazmund

What to do with old and leftover parts

Post by Dazmund »

With two complete robots and awaiting parts to finish a third one, I have made plans to make a fourth. I have two unused 300RPM motors and three that were originally on Fili-PA with two of them getting their gear reducers replaced. I also have polycarbonate and a LiPo to spare too.

Thing is, with my rather limited experience and skill, I was planning to make a very low 4 wheel drive box robot with 20mm wheels and static prongs, which is going to be slow and boring as hell. I then thought I could make a 2 wheel drive robot with 30mm wheels and the front motors to be made into a 360 blade/lifter of sorts ala DUCK! and Shockwave. The latter robot will have me ask questions to those who have made a robot of this ilk before, as well as commission someone with a 3D printer to create parts that can fit the motors and the polycarbonate weapon together?

So what shall it be? 4 wheel drive super low pronged robot, or a 2 wheel drive 360 lifter robot? Help me choose!
DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)
Watta Doze (tank tracked pusher)
Wolfhead (front wheel drive flipper)
2-2 Liftman (fork lifter)
The Ting Goes Grrrab (grabber/control)
Kyro

Re: What to do with old and leftover parts

Post by Kyro »

4wd... although i may be a little biased
!
!
\/
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i always go for a strong drive, because if your weapon is damaged or stops working, you still have good drive to fall back on...
4wd also adds redundancy... you can lose a wheel from each side and still move... 2wd, you lose 1 and your driving in circles...

4wd also feels much better to drive IMHO

Harry from team panoramic made an antweight duck, but i believe he used a cheap triple esc to have drive and weapon all running from the 1 esc...

if you use a flysky transmitter, the Malenki nano is a great choice. built by our very own MarkR from the forum...
its a triple esc with 2 pwm channels giving you 3 brushed channels and 2 channels for a servo or brushless motor. and has a receiver built into it.

it also has a ton of built in features and for £20, is worth every penny as you just need a malenki, battery and a couple of motors and you are good to go...

simmilarly, you can pick up a servo cheap enough later on if you want to upgrade your 4wd in the future...

towerpro mg92b is cheap, powerful and basically bombproof... its a little heavy though so if weight is already close, a lighter option may be needed. but for around £8 (iirc) from servoshop (everything on there is genuine) its a decent servo...
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Dazmund

Post by Dazmund »

I'm not looking to do anything too flash or buy more high-end stuff as I'm making this one out of leftover or used parts. Besides, I have two perfectly operational antweights already.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CHagTMcHd6d/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CIApOrhHt-T/

I've already use Bristol Bot Builders' dual ESC in Watta Doze and my third to-be-completed antweight, so I will use that again for this one. The 360 lifter was something I wanted to do to differentiate from other machines, so I'm likely to buy a single ESC for two series joined motors to operate the weapon should I make it. However, I have already cut out the polycarbonate baseplate for the 4 wheel drive machine idea, which won't have a moving weapon and have static prongs at the front. It'll be slow when I give it the small wheels, but it'll have some push.
DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

I understand wanting to just use parts you already have for a build. the servo suggestion was just for a future upgrade option...

best of luck with your build, i look forward to seeing what you come up with as what i am picturing from your description is probably a bit different to the actual finished product.
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Dazmund

Post by Dazmund »

Bit of a discovery after putting this new robot together. Turns out that the spare unused motors I had were around 600RPM, so while I was committed to making a 2WD box-shaped forklift, the drive turned out to be fast. Sitting on a goldmine for all this time... d'oh! I'm currently waiting for a VEX29 controller for the front motors to power the forks, so I have no idea how fast they'll be with their new reducers until I hook it all up.

So yeah, it turns out this supposed machine of leftovers will be so much more different from the two flippers and tank pusher I've already made.
DAZ DUZ BOTZ

Fili-PA (wedge flipper)