Thinking about a one off competition.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Kyro

Re: Thinking about a one off competition.

Post by Kyro »

now we are just thinking how cool that armour will look, when ricocheting around the inside of the arena ;)
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

I thought that's what my clusterbot was for, when I don't drive it straight into the pit :lol:
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue
Lowtech

Post by Lowtech »

Drive test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBiAT2p ... mbatechist

It's jittery because of a combination of low battery and the fact that I don't own a soldering iron.

The next piece of work is to mount the weapon servo. But since the servo and the lifting arm are in the post, this might be the last update for a while.
Firestorm-in-a-teacup (2WD front hinged flipper)
Hydrant (4WD crusher) (in progress)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

you definitely want a soldering iron... a twist can easily shake itself lose and shorts and lipo's really dont mix well
you can pick one up off ebay for about £6...

if you are new to soldering in general practise on some random bits of wire and if you have any old broken electronics, open it up and desolder and resolder some bits for practise...

i hate the wait for things to arrive... especially if its crucial for the build
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Lowtech

Post by Lowtech »

Kyro wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:34 pm you definitely want a soldering iron... a twist can easily shake itself lose and shorts and lipo's really dont mix well
you can pick one up off ebay for about £6...

if you are new to soldering in general practise on some random bits of wire and if you have any old broken electronics, open it up and desolder and resolder some bits for practise...

i hate the wait for things to arrive... especially if its crucial for the build
If they're really that cheap I might as well go for one
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Yeh the £6 iron will probably get hot, but I wouldn't want to use it much. Get one with a stand and some amount of control.

You will also need some solder and a few other bits, I'd recommend solder wick (for getting off excessive solder) and some flux. Something to clean the iron tip (sponge thing or the brass foil thing) would be good too, if it's not included with the iron.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Lowtech

Post by Lowtech »

https://youtu.be/rhTAVQBZboA

Weapon test. Went better than I could have hoped for.
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i noticed the front raises when you flip, and your design fully encloses the wheels.

do your wheels still touch the floor when the front is raised?

im pretty sure the original had the tyres exposed and an angled rear so it would still have wheels on the ground when flipping as the front hinged flipper tended to buck the nose up (as seen by the method of oota-ing they used)

otherwise its looking good... i just hope we can get an event sorted early 2021 to see all these new bots in action
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Lowtech

Post by Lowtech »

Kyro wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:58 am i noticed the front raises when you flip, and your design fully encloses the wheels.

do your wheels still touch the floor when the front is raised?

im pretty sure the original had the tyres exposed and an angled rear so it would still have wheels on the ground when flipping as the front hinged flipper tended to buck the nose up (as seen by the method of oota-ing they used)

otherwise its looking good... i just hope we can get an event sorted early 2021 to see all these new bots in action
Well noticed.
The arm sticks out about 8mm below the chassis.
I actually haven't measured it out, but it's going to be touch and go as to whether the robot won't beach itself.
My aim was to make the action look a bit more animated and maybe flip other robots over the barrier; I'm not sure whether it's beneficial :)
Lowtech

Post by Lowtech »

MarkR wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:15 pm Yeh the £6 iron will probably get hot, but I wouldn't want to use it much. Get one with a stand and some amount of control.

You will also need some solder and a few other bits, I'd recommend solder wick (for getting off excessive solder) and some flux. Something to clean the iron tip (sponge thing or the brass foil thing) would be good too, if it's not included with the iron.
Thanks, did just that.