ESC with built-in receiver - interesting?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Kyro

Re: ESC with built-in receiver - interesting?

Post by Kyro »

never mind... on second check it seems like pin 7 on both has no track leading to it...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Kyro, you are exactly right, pin 7&8 are connected on all of the motor driver chips. However, this isn't a design fault, it's actually supposed to be like that (they are the vcc and enable pin). The traces join and some solder tends to wick into that place. It's not a mistake.

There were multiple faults with that board, I think there was a sporadic short under the mcu, one of the motor drivers had a short on it, and attempts to rework it again and again seemed to introduce more faults. I also think I managed to kill the radio during testing, which is not very difficult, as I'm testing with a usb (5v) supply and even a tiny touch of 5v anywhere on the radio chip makes it instantly die (it is a 3.3v part which cannot tolerate 5v on any pin).

The castellated pins on the radio module seem to be a magnet for test-leads containing 5 volts.

If I get this thing into production, I will try to supply the module with a piece of heat-shrink and suggestion to use it, to avoid this fault for end-users (who can use a 2S pack, but 5v is just as bad as 8.4v)

--

I have built another one - this time I used some solder paste (very little!) and a cheapo electric hob thing as a reflow hotplate. This seems more promising, but it is not complete yet.

Also being at home, I'm using lead(Pb)-free solder to avoid contamination. It is actually not too bad.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

At least you have plenty of time to work on it at the moment. Great to see it progressing
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Yes,

I abandoned that prototype and assembled another one. This now seems to mostly* work.

I also took an earlier prototype and put it into a Antweight-sized test robot ("Bernard") and it drives pretty well. Additionally, the receiver in Bernard has working telemetry which gives battery voltage - I am very pleased about that (it's probably not that useful though)

Pictures:

** for some reason the battery voltage sensor thinks the battery is 10.75 volts,which it isn't.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I've done a demo of bind and configuring the channels here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_AwJOI7Lnw
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Ok, it is getting made and will be available for sale!

If you are interested, please fill in this form here:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... =0&c=0&w=1
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

*Sigh* If only Mark would make a DSM version for those of us already wedded to Spectrum TXs... :idea:
Stuart (Tony's dad)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

That will only happen if:

a) The parts are available
b) I have a DSM transmitter / receiver to test with

Right now I'm still trying to get the previous one working.

The radio compatibiility between different chips is an unknown, possibly they will only talk to the same company's devices. The original DSM parts are discontinued but there may be compatible replacements.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Good News!

Our first batch sold out so quickly,

but as of right now, BristolBotBuilders is selling a few more of the "Beta" test units - you can pick one up now if you're quick,

https://shop.bristolbotbuilders.com/product/malenki/

We will make more eventually once the kinks are ironed out - it's working ok so far and manufacturing seems solid.
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Seriously impressive.
For the first time ever, I'm well envious of those builders who haven't already invested in several Spektrum DSM* transmitters. :mrgreen:
Stuart (Tony's dad)