ESC with built-in receiver - interesting?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Re: ESC with built-in receiver - interesting?

Post by peterwaller »

Just putting one of my controllers together for my new ring spinner and thought the spec might be of interest.
It can take the Lemon DSM2 receiver mounted on pins, has a 5V 1.5A low dropout BEC, 4A on each of the two drive channels, both 5v and full bat out on the servo connector, power switch and built in mixing on a 21 x 29 mm board.
The 7 pin connector on the left is from top to bottom Bat +, Bat -, Mot 1a, Mot 1b, Mot 2a, Mot 2b and bind.
The 4 pin servo connector on the right is Bat+, Sig, 5V, Bat -.
It is rated for 2S or 3S operation.
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

peterwaller wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:24 am Just putting one of my controllers together for my new ring spinner and thought the spec might be of interest.
It can take the Lemon DSM2 receiver mounted on pins, has a 5V 1.5A low dropout BEC, 4A on each of the two drive channels, both 5v and full bat out on the servo connector, power switch and built in mixing on a 21 x 29 mm board.
The 7 pin connector on the left is from top to bottom Bat +, Bat -, Mot 1a, Mot 1b, Mot 2a, Mot 2b and bind.
The 4 pin servo connector on the right is Bat+, Sig, 5V, Bat -.
It is rated for 2S or 3S operation.
This is awesome Peter!

I don't know enough to ask questions without sounding stupid, but I guess I'll ask anyway...
How many channels does it have and what rating? (my guess is 2 from the mot pins that can control 4 motors?)
Do you have the option to turn off the mixing?
Does it have an option for brake or is it built in?
Can you control your weapon from it too?

How much weight does it save to mount the rx on the esc?

Sorry for the idiot questions, I promise I'm learning from everything and reading all I can occupies all of my spare time.

As always thank you very much for your time and help. I sincerely appreciate it.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

It has two motor drive channels each of which can supply 4 amps so you could hang up to 3 standard motors on each channel up to 3 S or 12.6 volts. These channels are mixed which cannot be turned off and braking is on.
You save a couple of grams direct connecting it to the receiver but it is more the space saving and reliability improvements.
The servo output which is the 3rd channel has four pins the first three take a standard servo connector the 4th is the full battery voltage for high voltage servos when running on 2S. This is also useful for brushless controllers running either 2S or 3S batteries.
Here is the completed controller with the receiver board mounted and a 12 A Afro brushless controller added as well.
The whole module comes in at just under 10 gms.
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

What's the switch do?
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Its a power switch so you can plug the battery directly into the board and save some more wiring.
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I gotta say Peter, that is a NICE board.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Yes- I've seen Peter's board stack-up and it's very space efficient and looks like it's very reliable. Those rz7899 chips I've used in my previous speed controllers and they seem unbreakable and are rated at more current than an antweight robot should reasonably need (for drive, anyway).

PCB tracks and soldered connections are always better than having wires floating around, I always end up breaking some wires doing maintenance (e.g. this happened at Saturday's Ant Freeze event), a mixture of cack-handed prodding with a screwdriver, difficult working environment and the pressure of the event (getting the robot fixed)
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Team RobotMad

Post by Team RobotMad »

I'm currently changing my next board to be more aplealing and easyier to use to other people.
spec not set in stone yet, thus any ideas are welcome as to what would make people want to buy one.

12mm x 14mm, yes its realy that small.
2x 2A motor drive,
2 or 3 (still being designed so I don't know how many yet) servo outputs, on input voltage.
3.5v to 24v input, motors run on this voltage so realy its like 9v
any single wire output reciver, such as OrangeRx R614XN, (this is what it'll be designed for but others will be compatable)

I need to know what kind of revicers people would use so I can get the software to handle them.
i don't know price yet but probably around £20 before PnP.
trying to understand how much intrest there is ans the features people want, so far this thread has been very usefull at that.
Lincoln Barnes
Maker of "SmartAnts", and other autonomous projects.
Electronic enginering student at Nottingham Trent University.
PM to order the RM NanoESC
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

my absolute requirements for an esc would be ability to take 2 motors per side, option to turn off/on mixing as i prefer to do my own via tx, but also have a pistol tx i give out if i have many visitors that has no inbuilt mixing.
small/light compared to an equivalent esc and rx combo.

if the esc would also incorporate an rx, flysky all the way with 2 extra channels (so it could be used for Mantis)

as for price, it costs me around £15 for an esc and rx which is currently my go to setup, but would be happy to spend a little more if i had the same reliability with a weight/size saving in an all in 1 setup.

layout wise, i would like either all wires exiting from 1 side, or motor wires on each back corner with battery wires on a front corner and (if rx incorporated) 2 sets of through holes to attach 2 extra accessories (possibly the option to add pins)

i think this would cover almost every option anyone would ever need (minus being flysky only compatible) with the current style of robots...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Team RobotMad wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:08 pm I need to know what kind of revicers people would use so I can get the software to handle them.
I'm using the Turnigy FS-A8S receivers for AFHDS2A protocol, they are super tiny, weight about 1g and have outputs which can be configured for i-bus, sbus or cppm. Usually I prefer i-bus because it's more sane (s-bus uses "upside down" signals, an unusual baud rate and scales the stick positions by an inconvenient factor), but my own ESC board supports all three (with autodetection), you can see the code for that it's pretty crazy, mostly in here: https://github.com/MarkR42/malenki-esc/ ... esc/rxin.c
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands