Antweight Rules Proposal

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

GeorgeR

Re: Antweight Rules Proposal

Post by GeorgeR »

Just seen the updated wording for 4k, looks good.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

Thanks for finally getting these rules written down, they seem like they've covered all the major issues.

One other thing though, at AWS60 we implemented a rule where cluster bots had to enter as a cluster (ie: no removing one botlet in order to drastically modify the other & enter it alone). Was this rule solely for this AWS or will it be back in the future?
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

regarding the above... if a cluster has one half damaged beyond repair but 1 half fully working, it should be allowed to compete but with no modifications... so a 75g half a cluster should remain 75g.

also, regarding a cluster, i feel like there should be something that clears up modular clusters... like 1 half of a cluster has to remain unchanged but the other half can be swapped out for another half providing it stays within the weight/size limit...

and speaking of modular... whats the rules here? when does a robot stop being modular and becomes a different robot?

ie, where is the line drawn to stop me building 3 robots under 1 name, calling it modular and picking the best design for each robot i face?

like would it be a percentage of the bot that has to remain? or maybe something like the esc must be the same?

i think something should be added to clear this up
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I'm a little worried that it's all getting silly.

I hope there is a solution but I can't think of one.

---

As a side note: I should mention that I (accidentally) fought one of the fights in AWS60 with the wrong robot. This was a mistake and caused by an administrative problem where one robot was fighting under the wrong name anyway.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

With regards to clusters, I don't see a problem with only running one part of a cluster if the other part has been destroyed, but only if the cluster would still be legal if all parts were running. (so no adding extra armour with the weight that would be part of the unused robot)

I don't think modular clusters (where different robots are chosen depending on the fight) should be allowed, unless all parts of a cluster (not just the botlets used in any one fight) fit in the cube/150g weight limit.

I think the rules as they are written already cover both the above scenarios - "All parts of a clusterbot must altogether meet the size and weight limits of the class in which they are competing."

With regards to modular robots generally, I'd say the main chassis or largest part must remain the same for it to be considered the same machine. It would be hard to write a rule for it in terms of % weight or whatever, but common sense should cover it. (whether an object is still the same with some parts changed is a very old argument - "ship of theseus")
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I think maybe we should codify the rule which Dave informally described at the beginning of AWS60,

"A cluster bot must demonstrate some controlled movement of at least two of its parts during each battle, or be disqualified". So if part of a cluster was damaged in the first fight, it needs to be repaired at least enough to work in the arena in each subsequent battle.

Just to stop people from putting extra armour on to one part of a cluster - it must actually be a cluster in every fight (in some sense).

I don't see a problem with Wedgewedgewedge fighting with only two parts of its cluster (I think this has happened), because it's still a cluster :)
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

MarkR wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:41 pm I think maybe we should codify the rule which Dave informally described at the beginning of AWS60,

"A cluster bot must demonstrate some controlled movement of at least two of its parts during each battle, or be disqualified". So if part of a cluster was damaged in the first fight, it needs to be repaired at least enough to work in the arena in each subsequent battle.
But then that seems to be a restriction on Clusters than other entries don't face. No other entry has to actually prove functionality before a fight.

On the cluster debating and modularity though I don't think these rules are ready for incorporating into this set yet. I think the community needs time to have a fully fleshed out debate on it first as it's not quite so cut and done.

For the record I actually very much like George's suggestion of, "With regards to clusters, I don't see a problem with only running one part of a cluster if the other part has been destroyed, but only if the cluster would still be legal if all parts were running. (so no adding extra armour with the weight that would be part of the unused robot)".

What I'd love to focus this thread on is combing the proposed set, adding in stuff there is a strong consensus on and stuff that already happens just to get ourselves to a checkpoint of having an updated ruleset. But I think stuff needs to reach that consensus first, rather than adding in rules still under wide debate and holding back the entire set for their sake.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

That sounds like a very sensible plan Shakey. In which case I would absolutely support the current wording. It certainly appears to cover all the relevant points.

I know I said before, but did anyone else have a view on heat based weapons? (obviously it can wait 'til a later date if it's controversial)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Ok forget that idea then it was a silly one... no robot needs to prove its functionality.
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Regarding bot modularity and when is it a different bot - what about spare chassis (EG. Like Cosmic had)?
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!