Team 1202 build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Spaceman

Team 1202 build Diary

Post by Spaceman »

Hello all

Now I have relocated its time to start getting back into ants ( and maybe more and bigger).

I have started a new build diary with the aim to regularly post and include stuff that is going to get made or is process of.

So hopefully for starters we have the new Robototron:

Based of Brestroyer (made by work buddy Joe) this is my first Robototron to sport a proper weapon. (Mk 4 had one but was removed about 2 seconds into its first fight a few years ago)

The Tracked version that was at AWS 60 is now gonna be the basis of my first spinner, Djent.

Not sure if Robototron will self right at the moment but plan is to get it built up and see what works.

More to come i hope. Once all the bits are in this shell I will show it in all its glory.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Spaceman

Re: Team 1202 build Diary

Post by Spaceman »

Christmas day and my better half gives me the gift of a N20 with a esc built in from Bristol Bot Builders.

While the kids play with their new stuff and she assembles Jigsaw I start designing a bot around using it as a lifter.

What I end up with is this:

I call it "Fighting Trousers".

It needs a few finishing touches, but my plan is to have this rolling at ant freeze. Its a N20 derived lifter with the Loader inspired hair band track system. I hope to get the brown and brass color scheme for a vague steampunk look.

I shall post on it again as soon as I have something of it built.

As a back burner I am working once more on my Klann walker ant but I will say no more as that is a real back burner project atm.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Had this plonk onto my desk this morning

Not the color i wanted and needs bits adding but Fighting trousers is now a thing.

I will try get the electronics into this and see how it fairs.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
jes

Post by jes »

Looks amazing. Is that PLA?

And have you weighed it?
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Its PLA+

I have not and i am expecting some trimming and lightning. I will report back one I get it near some scales.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
jes

Post by jes »

I estimate the weight of 3D prints by looking at the "Print Summary" shown in slic3r after generating G-Code.

After the G-Code has finished, a box pops up at bottom right that says something like "Used Filament: 1029.53cm (24.76cm^3)". I assume other slicers have a similar output somewhere, you could also look in the generated gcode file and see if it is written in the comments at the top or bottom.

The density of PLA is about 1.24 g/cm^3, so the printed part as above can be expected to weigh 24.76*1.24 = 30.7g. Once you have a reference point you can get a more accurate estimate of the practical density of your exact filament (and your print setup, e.g. slight over-/under-extrusion).

Obviously support material uses up filament but won't be used in the final part, so make sure to slice with supports turned off when getting filament usage estimates.
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Thanks. Thats really good info.

Getting the feeling some trimmings will be needed.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I have found Cura's weight estimates (with PLA) to be very accurate, usually within 1g of the measured weight.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

I think with all the bits it probably is about 160g to 165g ATM
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

So a question:

Can a blades throttle stick be made to self center easily?

Was thiking of running FT or a blade but ideally with a motor driven lifter dont want the throttle to stay.

If not I will find another method.

Thanks
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)