Team Antiquarian & Anthony's Ant Army ready for battle

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MySolderIsOlder

Re: Team Antiquarian & Anthony's Ant Army ready for battle

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

OK, that's enough spinners for now. Time to get flippy.
This is my latest work in progress. Wanted to try something other than the conventional 4-bar flipper mechanism. I did briefly consider copying Alex's gear-wheel arrangement from ICBINS (could have called it "I can't believe it's not {I can't believe it's not Stanley}"?) but I figure that level of finesse is beyond my skills. So instead I decided to make things ultra-simple by using a direct-drive but with a pair of bearing-blocks to secure the flipper arm to the body and protect the Servo.

Introducing "2-bar":

When the arm is right down, it locks into a slot in the front edge, giving extra protection against side impact from horizontal spinners.

Whole thing is only just over 100g at this stage, which leaves me plenty of scope for a curving titanium scoop to fit on that arm.

Hope to have this ready for AWS61
Stuart (Tony's dad)
MySolderIsOlder

Re: Team Antiquarian & Anthony's Ant Army (almost) ready for battle

Little by little, we're edging closer to the point of being ready for AWS61...

Recycler has had a few tweaks, including a new drum and replacing the ABS body with Polymax PC .
From the left; Recycler III++ with it's new drum, the old drum (printed in blue HK Polycarb), plus a new, toothless and safe 'practice drum':

I can swap the drums over in less than ten mins, with no soldering, so we'll be keeping the old one as a spare in case emergency repairs are required.

At AWS60, some kind soul suggested we might benefit from a more aggressive 'bite' on the teeth - so here it is, alongside the old gnashers:

Meanwhile, Maxi & Molly have recovered from their mauling by RBMK and are ready for a rematch.

I had to strengthen some obvious weaknesses in the design of Molly (the flipper), which ate up some of the weight allowance, so I've switched from the Nanotech 180mah 2s to a DIY 75mah 2s LiPo. Should be enough to see us through so long as I swap/recharge after each fight.

Anthony's new cluster, The Spin Twins, is also ready to go. Not expecting this to be a very effective competitor as it's hard to make a <75g spinner that could be effective against a 150g ant - and having two such fleas probably won't add much except chaos and confusion... but it should be fun anyway.

Of my own team, Try again, Flail again is finished, complete with new body styling, 3S LiPo and minimal downforce propellor:

Now I just need to finish my 2-Bar flipper and rebuild Other Way Up's bodywork (got a bit nibbled by Combatant at Oxford, leaving me with lots of fiddly polycarb sheet cutting & bending - though if I run out of time, the old body should still be good for a few more rounds), get everything charged up and bound to the right Tx's, make some more spare wheels & tyres - oh and maybe, just maybe, do some driving practice....
Stuart (Tony's dad)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

the spin twins are a pair of tyre nibblers...
im a fan...

can i get a list of parts used for them as i am looking to build my own 75g spinner to add to my modular cluster...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
MySolderIsOlder

Sure thing...
Drive motors are N10s
MultiStar V-Spec 1304-3100KV for the wpn (currently on offer on Hobbyking).
Yep 7A brushless ESC.
Brushed ESCs are Feetech FT90R servo boards
Rx is an Orange R614xn
Nanotech 2s 180mah lipo
Home made wheels & tyres

Instant ankle-biter kit.
Stuart (Tony's dad)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

cheers... this should help me with mine...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
MySolderIsOlder

You might want to see how they do on Sunday before hitting the 'Order' button!
Stuart (Tony's dad)
MySolderIsOlder

Team Antiquarian & Anthony's Ant Army - AWS61 Report Part I

Well that was a blast!

First up, in case anyone was worried about Anthony's persistent coughing on Sunday, it wasn't Corona virus; just the after effects of a night in an overheated Travelodge (due to Sunday train timetables, a stop-over in MK was our only chance of getting to Wolverton in time). He was right as rain next day.

As for the fights... well I did as badly as usual. Partly due to innate lack of hand-eye co-ordination but mostly due to the fact that we never get time to practice between events. All that's gonna change though, now that I've built a nearly full scale replica of Peter's arena... :lol:

My results first - as there are so few of them ...

Try Again Flail Again...
Something happened between final testing and the big day to upset my carefully balanced weapon. Whereas it had been fairly smooth running at 60% throttle, it was now going into random bounce mode almost immediately. I also realised quickly that the inclined plane of rotation was a disaster if an opponent got behind me! But it was still good for a laugh. I won my first fight, against Oops, who very kindly drove into the pit (no doubt inspired his son's rather vocal critique of his technique). 2nd fight was against my own son, who's newly souped up 'Other Way Up' thoroughly outclassed me. Also lost one side of the flail - where I'd secured it by crimping the stainless steel capillary tubing, it frayed the wire until it snapped. Back to the drawing board with that one! Swapped over to my spare flail for next fight, against 'Mini-B' but that one was even more badly balanced and I was soon in the pit. Haven't entirely given up on flails yet - still got one even whackier variation I want to try.

Polycarbonant
First fight was against 'Breakout' cluster, who soon had me back in the pit. 2nd was against the impressive looking vert spinner, 'Vertigo'. Luckily for me, his polycarbonate front slope meant the disk couldn't get near me. With my 4wd advantage, I nearly had him in the pit a couple of times but just couldn't get the finishing move right. This fight almost went the distance and I might have won - but the irresistible pull of the pit proved too strong - and in I dived again.

2-Bar
In fairness, this was a last-minute rush job; more a proof-of-concept, rather than a serious contender. Basically I wanted to test whether a 'direct drive' flipper could stand up to real combat. First fight was against 'Veorra'. My already slim chances were further shrunk by the fact that the flipper wasn't working at all and sure enough... plop. Back in the pit. Some much needed advice and guidance from the neighbouring table helped me realise the problem was caused not by the robot itself but by my transmitter. Somehow, my botched flipper trigger mod had upset the throttle potentiometer and push it off the range. A quick intervention to remove that mod - and all was fine again for the next fight. Round 2 was against 'Spin Crazy II', who had the misfortune to get wedged against the side wall, handing me a surprise victory. For my third fight, I was delighted to be drawn against Peter's deadly undercut spinner, 'Combatant'. One couldn't ask for a better 'stress test' of a new design and apart from a couple of minor issues (vis a broken flipper and an aerial departure from the field of battle) I was quite pleased with the result. Combatant got behind me quite early in the fight and managed to remove one of my tyres, although I still had pretty good drivability thanks to the serrated rims (a feature I use on all my printed hubs):
Eventually, Peter got a perfect hit on the side of my scoop and off I went. The blow put an impressive notch in the 1mm thick gr5 titanium and snapped the base of the flipper arm but thanks to the bearings, none of the force got through to the servo. I could have just swapped over to the spare arm and carried on - except that was me out!
In terms of lessons learnt, I think the basic 2-bar direct-servo has potential. Theoretically, it should transmit more of the servo's energy than a 4-bar linkage - the only challenge is in making the arm, and its connection to the servo horn, strong enough. But this first outing was enough to make me want to push ahead with the twin-servo version that I've already started working on in Fusion.
Last edited by MySolderIsOlder on Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart (Tony's dad)
MySolderIsOlder

Team Antiquarian & Anthony's Ant Army AWS61 Report - Part II

Luckily Anthony had a much better day than me, in terms of victories, though frustratingly he still didn't quite make it through to the final 16.

Recycler
Our best robot by far, Recycler came to AWS61 with a new drum, sporting a thinner profile and much sharper teeth.
First fight, against 'No1. Best Boi + Virus <3' was one of the highlights of the day for me, with plenty of sparks and aerial action. The little Virus botlet was incapacitated early on when Recycler drove right over the top and nonchalantly removed one of it's wheels. Best Boi proved much tougher though and kept coming back for more, despite losing some bodywork along the way, before eventually rolling into the pit.
The damage wasn't all one sided though; in trying to save weight I'd slimmed down the drum core too far and the 3d printing layers split in a couple of places. Not enough to prevent it working (the titanium axle held everything together) but didn't look like it would hold up for the rest of the day so I swapped back to the old, blunt-toothed drum. The latter is more solidly built but alas far less destructive. Even so, the spare drum proved good enough to incapacitate 'Micronewton' (loose connection?) in round two.
Fight number three was against 'Huxian'; another phenomenally tough little robot and a tribute both to Morgan's building skills and to the durability of Onyx. Huxian got flung up in the air several times and at one point got stranded on top of the spinning drum (which must have been when one of the motor wires was ripped out) but kept soaking up the blows. Recycler didn't have it all his own way - Anthony was struggling a bit with the gyro effects and flirted with the edge of the pit a few times. Eventually though Huxian's luck ran out and with his mobility reduced, into the pit he rolled.
That put us into the Group C finals, against 'B-bot'. Sadly, this one was over in seconds; with a suitably drum-spinner-proof front end fitted, B-Bot caught him almost immediately at the perfect angle and pushed Recycler straight into the pit before he was able to get up to speed.
Fifth and final fight was against 'Veorra'. Again, the different levels of driving experience showed and Recycler repeatedly got trapped against the side of the arena, before eventually being pushed into the pit, though he did have the satisfaction of doing some damage along the way! So, still some way to go with Recycler, but we learn from each event. I think I'm happy with the basic design now - though I have a number of upgrades planned. Key thing is going to be getting lots of driving practice with the 'dummy drum' before the next event.
**UPDATE** Just discovered - Recycler won the "Most Destructive Robot" award. Couldn't be more chuffed!

The Spin Twins
Very much the jokers in our pack, I never expected the spinner cluster to be competitive but as expected, they were fun! First fight was against 'Robox' - possibly the worst opponent for us to be drawn against. The action was predictably short and brutal but at least nothing got damaged.
Second fight was against 'AWG Crimpet' and at least this time we lasted a bit longer. Anthony, driving 'X" (the horizontal spinnner) was pitted first. I almost managed to keep going with 'Y' until the final seconds - but as I teetered on the edge, a wisp of smoke started curling upwards and the fight was stopped as Dave rushed in with his asbestos fingers and emergency LiPO bag. 'Y' then had to sit outside in the smoking corner until he'd cooled off. Luckily it wasn't the LiPO. Post-mortem indicated that the motor had become partly jammed and I must have just fried the wires. I still have one spare 1304 motor so 'Y' may yet fight another day.

Other Way Up
OWU was one of my first antweights and still a favourite. I replaced all of the bodywork after AWS60 but upgraded to a 3S lipo which, with the 4x 1:30 motors, has made it a feisty little character. Anthony's very first fight of the day, OWU against the evil but glamorous assassin, 'Villanelle', was a real 'blink and you'll miss it' affair. Following the principle that you should get in there before a spinner reaches full speed, OWU sprinted the length of the arena and slammed Villanelle against the low pit wall - over which it then gracefully rolled. Watching it again and again on Youtube, I reckon the whole thing lasted about 1.8 seconds.
OWU then made predictably short work of my 'Try Again Flail Again', putting him through to the third round. Unfortunately he was now up against 'Boink', who managed to catch him broadside, front-flipping OWU sideways and propping him neatly against a wall, from where there was no escape.
Final redemption battle for OWU was against the dreaded Yeetus and Retreetus. The fight started well, with OWU's power allowing for some impressive pushing against the fearsome duo. Tragically though, after 20 seconds OWU's electronics died completely and he was counted out. Still haven't got to the bottom of this one (it was working fine again moments later) so I will probably play safe and just replace the Rx and ESC before the next event.

Maxi & Molly
After AWS60, when Molly got terminally incapacitated by RBMK in her very first fight, anything would have been an improvement. In the event our cute cluster did really well, racking up four wins overall.
First fight was a predictably chaotic ricochet-fest vs 'Plank of Wood' (one of Anthony's favourite robots), which after a few jabs and parries, bounced itself into the pit.
Round two was a more conventional contest against 'Poptart & Sprinkle' , who both out-drove and out-cuted us.
Into the loser's rounds then. Next up was the horizontal bar spinner 'Mimas', which was limping along on one motor. Ben gamely carried on regardless and got a good hit on Molly, tossing her into one pit before rolling himself into another and leaving Maxi to claim victory.
Second fight of the loser's rounds was 'Vertigo', now without the front wedge which had handicapped the spinner in earlier rounds. This one lasted a lot longer but eventually Molly managed to flip Vertigo over backwards; the tooth on his disk bit into the arena floor and Vertigo sailed off into the corner pocket.
Next up was 'Sun' - something of a grudge match for us since this was the robot that beat Anthony in his first ever fight (2019 Antweight open). This fight was an enjoyable bit of flipper Vs flipper action as Molly and Sun traded flips, while I tried to confuse the enemy by driving Maxi round and around in random patterns. All ended with a fluky bit of accidental teamwork when Sun got beached on top of Maxi just long enough for Molly to slip in and flip her into the pit.
It was all going so well... but then we came up against Thierry, who charged in a grande vitesse and pitted both of us effortlessly. Game over for another day! On the plus side, neither of them sustained any damage, though the gears of the Molly's tiny D0474HT servo are still making the painful grinding noise they developed after their first encounter with RBMK, so it may be time to swap that out.

As always, enormous thanks to everyone involved in making it happen and for making us feel so welcome.
Last edited by MySolderIsOlder on Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart (Tony's dad)
MichaelG92

Post by MichaelG92 »

Congrats to Anthony and Recycler on Sunday! I was quite worried about facing Recycler before the fight but I thought I was doing quite well! I'm still not 100% sure what happened to MicroNewton, but I think I lost connection because the battery on the transmitter was low. I turned it off and on again after the fight and it worked fine which was frustrating!
Michael - Team MG Robotics

Fledgling Surrey based roboteering team

Antweights:

MicroNewton - flipper
ArmamAnt! - pusher
GFB - flipper (under construction)
Fight or Flight - flipper (under construction)