Ellis's (Team BANANAPHONE/A12) build log!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

retropunk

Re: Ellis's (Team BANANAPHONE/A12) build log!

Post by retropunk »

I'm pretty much all ready to get the drive working, just need to plug the LiPo in! Haven't soldered anything though, just in case I have to swap wires around, which is probably gonna happen - I'm just hoping I don't have another unexplainable error like last time.

Also sorted out an issue with the spinner scraping the bottom plate, which was a stupid mistake i made in CAD, but i gave myself plenty of ground clearance after last time so I think it'll be alright if i put all my weight in the back!

team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)
retropunk

Post by retropunk »

Solderburn v2 officially drives, which means I get to go to AWS60! It's still mostly wiring spaghetti (Spaghettiburn anyone?) but it actually does things so i'm pretty stoked about that. Google Drive video attached below!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lJF7no ... sp=sharing
team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)
retropunk

Post by retropunk »

one week left until the event, and we're a little overweight, but that should be fine - gonna drill some holes and hope i get away with it, and also need to add the hole for the switch, but it's going well, especially since i'm in revision crunch time :P

team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)
MichaelG92

Post by MichaelG92 »

Looks good!

I'm hoping someone else can back me up on this, but someone told me recently that there's a 2% tolerance for the scales? So you may not have to save weight. At least that's what I'm hoping, otherwise I'll be hacking bits of MicroNewton on the day. Definitely double check with someone first though, don't take my word as gospel!!

Failing that, smaller batteries and shortening wires always helps as well as drilling holes of course...
Michael - Team MG Robotics

Fledgling Surrey based roboteering team

Antweights:

MicroNewton - flipper
ArmamAnt! - pusher
GFB - flipper (under construction)
Fight or Flight - flipper (under construction)
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

MichaelG92 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:53 pm I'm hoping someone else can back me up on this, but someone told me recently that there's a 2% tolerance for the scales? So you may not have to save weight. At least that's what I'm hoping, otherwise I'll be hacking bits of MicroNewton on the day. Definitely double check with someone first though, don't take my word as gospel!!

Failing that, smaller batteries and shortening wires always helps as well as drilling holes of course...
The current rules state that scales must be accurate to at least 1g, They don't mention a specific tolerance, but I recall seeing a tolerance (can't remember exactly what) within the proposed amendments to the rules but whether or not an EO will utilize it on the day will be up to them. To be honest the wise thing to do is to remove the weight & not have to worry or argue about it at every event. When you're dealing with tolerances & margins of error, there's always the possibility that your scales at home could be reading your bot as lighter than it is, which could push you outside the tolerance at the event. If you can't find some way to lose the weight you should definitely message Dave & sort it ASAP because I have a hunch he won't have time on the day.

Solderburn's looking good so far, you should easily be able to shift the weight with a couple of speed holes (if you're drilling holes for a switch anyway, you may as well).
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

Speed holes are a good way to lose those last few grams - I've done that on just the base plates of some of my bots and saved a couple of grams there.

Solderburn's looking good!
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Personally I'd put much thinner, shorter wires from the esc to RX, perhaps desolder the header pins on the rx and put wires directly into the esc, then heatshrink/ kapton-tape them together. That will save a little weight and a lot of untidyness (maybe you already did that?)
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

yeah i managed to save 12g just shortening some wires down on one of my bots... wires are deceptively heavy
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Like Mark says, you can save a few grams and also make a much neater package by removing the header of the Rx and soldering wires in directly, rather than using the Futaba-style connectors - though I'm not sure I'd want to be doing that so close the big day.
I've standardised on the Redcon 4-ch CM421 dsm2 receivers for most of my builds and with a bit of care, a bit of patience and a cheap desolder pump you can remove the header pins and clean out the holes to make good strong solder joints. Just remember to wrap it up with insulating tape afterwards (lighter than heat-shrink and easier to remove if there's a problem) before it finds an unexpected screw head or something to snuggle up against.

On the subject of brushless ESCs, I had been using the 12A Afro but decided for me that might still be overkill. Fully prepared to be proved wrong on Saturday (in which case Recycler's latest incarnation will be short lived!) but so far all my tests with the little YEP 7A controller suggest it's fine as long as you don't try driving a stalled weapon too hard - and it weighs less than a gram.
Stuart (Tony's dad)
retropunk

Post by retropunk »

since we're so close to the event, and my soldering is not the best, to put it lightly, i'm going to drill some holes and try and shorten some wires to get her down to 150g! thanks :)
team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)