3D printing robots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Hogi

3D printing robots

Post by Hogi »

Hi everyone. what is the most easy to use program for designing antweights for 3D printing? I am trying and struggling to master google sketchup. I am wondering what others use, and if they are any easier to work with, thanks.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
MySolderIsOlder

Re: 3D printing robots

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

While it may sound perverse, I was totally flumoxed when I tried Sketchup but was able to get started quite easily with Autodesk's Fusion 360. While the latter is a bit intimidating and vastly powerful, I found it quite logical and easy to work with, once you've mastered a few basic concepts. Admittedly I had the advantage of having a Pluralsight subscription through my day-job, so I was able to watch some of their training material to get me going - but there's also a vast wealth of freely accessible videos and other helpful material provided by the Autodesk community, both for getting started and for demonstrating specific features.
Best of all, it's one of those software packages that is eye-wateringly expensive if you need it for work but totally free for hobbyists.
Stuart (Tony's dad)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Well I am basically a coder and I want hardware to seem more like software, so I use openscad.

Those who were watching yesterday, will know, that you can 3d-print a flipper out of PLA, but not if you want it to survive a spinner attack (although, to be fair, it took a few hits before completely desintegrating)
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

I also started out with Sketchup Free. It's not be best out there but I made do. Most tutorials on the internet tend to be for the paid version, however.

I've just gotten Fusion 360 (it's free for hobbyists!) so I'm learning how to use that. Haven't printed anything off Fusion 360 models yet though. I've been following along with Lars Christensen's Fusion 360 tutorials so far.
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I do all mine in Sketchup it does get difficult trying to modify curved surfaces but otherwise seems more than adequate.