Clubs and Tournaments

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

DeeperMadness

Clubs and Tournaments

Post by DeeperMadness »

Hi, all!

I'm new to this forum, so apologies if I'm not quite doing things correctly. :oops:

In my workplace we are looking at holding a small robotics tournament, preferably around the 150g weight class due to the cost and simplicity with them. My bosses are happy to pay for parts, however they aren't quite ready to commit to an arena that may only get used once, so they suggested that we look for a local(ish) club or tournament and get started there and if it proves to be popular enough with colleagues then we can expand into an inter-depot tournament. We currently have roughly 20 people who have shown keen interest.

I've done some searching online and I can't seem to find an active club around the North London area (a lot of websites are either defunct or haven't updated for some considerable length of time). What sort of places should we be looking at for getting started? We've been looking at getting things ready in time for the AWS later on in the year (the June one would be too soon for us, given our lack of expertise), but if there are any more that we could visit or meet up with some pros then all the better.

What would be our best options? We know of quite a few places to source parts online and most of the people who signed up to the work club are familiar with the basic tools involved, we just want to meet some people locally who are into robotics and get some practice in so that it can take off in our workplace (and hopefully the other depots as well!).

Thank you to anyone who has some helpful advice! :D
LimaHotel

Re: Clubs and Tournaments

Post by LimaHotel »

Milton Keynes Bot Fighting Club?
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

As stated above we have recently started a club at the Milton Keynes Maker Space as per facebook www.facebook.com/groups/401967580594580/
There is a club arena and I also have another and we meet at the Men in Sheds in MK on a Wednesday evening.
We are hoping to arrange competitions in the MK area and have already had one in a back garden in Waltham Cross which is probably nearer to you.
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

hello, one of the mkbfc admins here.

where in north London will the competition be based?

we have an arena available for use and i am also happy to show yourself and your colleagues what you would need to build your own combat robot's.

i also have a decent amount of bots i can bring along for demonstration purposes and to show you how i build mine. there are many ways to build and many different materials available to use, so the way i build mine is merely one of many ways to build them.

i look forward to hearing back from you as it is always good welcoming new people into this hobby.

Luke
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
DeeperMadness

Post by DeeperMadness »

These all actually sound like brilliant suggestions! We're in Enfield just inside the M25, so although Milton Keynes may be a little far away for regular visits it could definitely be somewhere that we could get to a few times a year. But Waltham Cross is right on our doorstep so that could be a very promising venue!

I actually sought out someone on Reddit who also posted about a Milton Keynes group and by sheer chance they also live in the same area. I'll have a meetup with the guys at work tomorrow and see what they think of it all and see what happens, then get back in touch either on here or on Facebook. Thank you so much for getting back so fast!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

yes that is my friend from reddit, the same guy who hosted our event in waltham cross...

small world
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)