Team Rocket, Updates and Reports

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Kyro

Re: Team Rocket Robotics Updates and Reports

Post by Kyro »

yeah, i had to change up the design a bit to get various modifications to work as intended...

i needed the ability to grab larger bots and the old design couldn't do it and still fit in the cube...

but, it does what its meant to do, and it does it better than it has with any of the previous versions...

there is still plenty more that can be done with it (this version still has 19g free) but its something i will continue to develop and tweak...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

the pre aws update...

here is my team for the day...
Dominus, Esper, Mantis and the cluster, Twinzer...

here is my son's team for the day...
Juggernaut, Outlaw and (now sporting titanium) dusty...

and the mrs team for the day...
Nightfury and Lightfury...

and finally all the bots posing for a pic with my antweight cassuis, remembering rex thrown in for good measure...

good luck for saturday everyone... i cannot wait...

IT'S ROBOT FIGHTIN' TIME!!!
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

THE SPINNER IS DONE
Oooooohhhh..... Roll on Saturday!
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

almost... just waiting for some motors to arrive as one if the drive motors is dead... weapon however... that very much works...
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

what kind've wheels/tyres are on Dusty? I love chunky wheels! :D
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

these are some i made... inside it all is a fake pololu along with a filler to make up the width then some tyres from an old rc car that i made slick (i don't recommend slicks)

i may switch out the tyres for some treaded ones though
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

so finally, the aws battle report...

we had 3 teams at this aws, myself, the mrs and my son...

8 robots in total that were able to compete (too many bots in the competition so i had to drop my cluster)

i shall start with the mrs as she was first of us all to fight.

she had 2 bots entered into the competition.
Nightfury (4wd flipper) and Lightfury (spinner)

first up was Nightfury vs what are we doing with our lives??

she spent some time relearning how to control a bot as shes reluctant to practise at home but after some back and forth she ended up stuck on the pit edge and was then pushed out...
a loss, but not a huge deal...

second fight was Lightfury vs Mildly Effective

other than about 2 minutes of practice (she really dont like practicing) she hadn't driven this bot and her first fight with the spinner showed this... after being a bit slow with spinning up, then not being used to the gyro when she did fully spin up she ended up giving a few little hits but ultimately drove herself into the pit backwards... she nearly managed to save herself but was a split second too late...

third fight was Nightfury vs insert name here

another fight with some decent back and forth... both bots doing well but ultimately, the team of kids won which really made their day...
they pushed nightfury into the pit which was game over for that bot...

the forth fight was a bye...

the fifth fight was Lightfury vs life and death: resurrected

a clash of the spinners... vert vs horizontal... the mrs, now with 3 fights experience behind her, charged into this one...

after taking a few hits from l&d:r she ended up upside down... the self righting of lightfury worked as it should have and rolled back onto its wheels... another hit, upside down again... same again with self righting... a third time she ended up on her back... a third time self righting... she chose to wait in the corner and keep the spinner pointed at her opponent... which worked until she was knocked out of the corner... she drove to the middle of the arena where l&d:r drive into her, spinner to spinner... she was knocked back to the pit edge almost going out, but that didnt matter...
l&d:r flew at least a foot into the air and out of the arena... a win for the mrs...

the sixth fight was Lightfury vs Baphomet

quite a nasty spinner... after activate was called Baphomet drove over and to the side of Lightfury... she turned in time to hit weapon on weapon, but she came out worse off, being thrown against the wall and bouncing off... by the time she regained control, she was close to the pit edge and again nearly saved it, but not quite in time... Lightfury and therefore my mrs, was out of the competition... she still had fun and that is what i wanted so all is good...

now, my sons fights...

first up was Dusty vs Killerbite

this fight didnt last long... Dusty got Killerbite onto its side in the first few seconds where it couldn't self right and that was that...

second fight was Juggernaut vs Pyramid Scheme

clearly a very inexperienced driver and Juggernaut didnt have much trouble pitting Pyramid Scheme... win #2 for my son

third fight was Outlaw vs Having big dreams but no realistic way to achieve them

after some back and forth, my son ended getting stuck on the pit edge before going in... a first loss...

forth fight was Outlaw vs Gru 3

this fight consisted mainly of Outlaw pushing gru around the arena before gru ended up in the pit... win #3

fifth fight was Dusty vs Up the Antie

my son drove pretty aggressively, pinning UtA against the arena wall a few times and generally bullying UtA... but was pushed into the pit after some good driving from UtA in reverse

sixth fight was Juggernaut vs Have you tried turning it off and on again

again some pretty aggressive driving where Juggernaut pinned hyttioaoa against the arena wall where it couldn't get down again... it managed to wiggle its way down a split second after it was counted out... really close, but not close enough... another win for my son.

seventh fight was Dusty vs Matador

a fairly close fight as both drivers had simmilar skill...
both got chances to pit the other and both drove well to avoid it, but matador ended up being a little to thumb heavy and drove into the pit... another win for my son

eighth fight was Outlaw vs mildly effective

after advising my son to slow down a little and fight with precision rather than all out aggression, he listened... he slowed right down and this in turn improved his control...
but he also decided to toy a little with the much slower bot, pushing it a little and then letting it push him a little before pushing it around the arena and flipping it over at one point, Mildly effective self righted so then the pushing continued...
a short time after, mildly effective lost a wheel so my son decided to finally pit it... yet another win for my son...

ninth fight was Juggernaut vs i can't believe it's not stanley

he had all but forgotten to keep it slow, but then, Stanley is a fast and well driven bot... as fast as Stanley is, was as fast as the fight was over with Stanley pitting Juggernaut... another loss for my son...

tenth fight was Dusty vs Sprocket Racoon

another pretty even fight early on until Dusty flipped SR which didnt run too well upside down... after almost being counted out and surviving by managing to move, Dusty then pitted Sprocket Racoon (i must add, i liked how SR looked)
win #7 for my son

eleventh fight was Outlaw vs Little Kit 3.0

my son flipped LK early on which i felt should have been counted out as it was upside down and unable to self right for about 15 seconds but no count started... so my son pushed it near the pit where it was upside down once more and had started being counted but managed to self right, but then my son pushed it into the pit... thats now 8 wins my son has accumulated... he is doing really well

fight number twelve was Dusty vs kharuul

the driver of kharuul being one of my friends i decided to give both drivers some advice... for my son "flip him over and try to get him stuck, leant against the wall" advice for my friend "drive over, touch him then drive in the pit"

most of this actually happened... my son flipped kharuul over, and my friend not being so great when inverted, drove into the pit... i have such nice friends :) although my friend didnt take my advice, id like to think he did...
win #9 for my son

fight number thirteen (unlucky for some) was Juggernaut vs Lambo

after some even pushing, my son managed to flip Lambo then push it out of the arena... 10 wins...

fight fourteen was Outlaw vs The Tim Rackers Experience

after taking some decent hits from Tim and keeping his flipper pointed at it, Tim ended up rebounding out of the arena... win #11 but at a cost, flipper panel was missing a corner and a piece of one of the wheel guards had broken off... a quick fix to the flipper panel was needed before the next fight... some polycarb bent into a new flipper panel, the original cut off and the new one bolted in place was the answer...

fight fifteen was Dusty vs Bzwroink

for some unknown reason, my son decided to wait this one out at the start... after a warning that movement was needed he started to actually fight... bz's acetate was much lower than Dusty's and kept pushing him around then eventually into the pit... a loss and now, dusty was out

fight sixteen was Juggernaut vs devious plot

after some pushing, my son managed to make the bigger half of the cluster pit himself by turning away from a pushing fight near the pit... now, just that little pink bastid left to get... littlest oink (i think its called) was driving near the pits in hopes my son would try push it out and miss... my son didnt take the bait... after forever it seemed, he finally managed to catch LO and pit it
win #12

fight seventeen (i regret writing the numbers as words now) was Outlaw vs Baphomet (that nasty spinner from earlier)

after going back to aggression, Baphomet ripped Outlaws flipper clean off... my son pushed Baphomet into a corner and held it there for a few seconds before taking another hit which ripped out one of the screws that held the top on and left the top half off, the next hit sent Outlaw out of the arena and out of the competition...

fight eighteen was Juggernaut vs Esper

yes, they pitted father vs son... at the start of the fight i drove over to him, got under and pushed towards the pit... i stopped before pitting him and gave him a few little flicks with my flipper just to tease him... after considering letting him go i suddenly remembered the time he said he could easily beat me... nope... sorry son... the evil in me pitted him and that was that for him in the competition... am i evil? probably... should i have let him stay in the competition? probably... am i a terrible father for stomping his hopes and dreams of antweight glory? probably... i slept well that night...

after all this and 12 wins, im proud of how well my son did with all of his bots finishing top 30 (antlog stops counting placing after 13th so i dont know his actual final results but he was in the top 28 bots on the list with all 3)

so finally we get onto my fights...

after writing this im seriously considering less bots in the next event so i don't have to spend hours writing a novel for you all...

well... fight one was Dominus vs insert name here

it was a quick fight that ended with me pitting inh in the first few seconds

win#1

fight two was Esper vs smart ant 7

sa7 was a walker with a very fast and powerful flip which I wanted to avoid at all costs... i drove over, got around the side and pushed to the pit edge where it got stuck... a little flipper showboating before finishing the job

win #2

fight three was mantis vs SLAB

well, mantis did exactly what it was designed to do... i drove slab to the wall, picked it up and dropped it into the pit... the crowd seemed to love it...

win#3

fight four was Dominus vs What are we doing with our lives

after both driving and missing connecting with eachother a few times we finally connected where i flipped wawdwol into the pit... another win... another fight over quickly...

win #4

fight five was esper vs for fox's sake

after considering the offer of a tenner to let him win, we both drive pretty aggressively... i pinned him in the corner a few times before he drove himself into the pit... yet another fast fight and win #5

fight six was mantis vs Ripper 2

ripper being a fast bot and extremely well driven was hard for me to get hold of... i managed one grab hold of his flipper which didn't work out too well, but then managed to pick him up and drive towards the pit... Ripper managed to flip enough to make me fall onto my side where once i let go he managed to get me out of the arena... with mantis being hard to operate, and how well driven ripper was (and how he drove rings around me at the start) I wasn't surprised at the loss...

fight seven was mantis vs : )

after getting : ) on his back i grabbed him and dumped him into the pit... 7 fights, all over quickly...

win#6

fight eight was Dominus vs Hogi v7

from the gate i was under him and flipping him over... then flipped in quick succession to make him bounce around and unable to self right before leaving him on the pit edge where self righting would have put him in... which is what he did...

yet another fast fight and win #7

fight nine was esper vs devious plot

plan of attack, go for the big guy first... after a bit of pushing (i just could not get under his acetate) i managed to get him to pit himself by turning away at the last second (almost a mirror of what my son did in his fight which was later in the competition) now to tackle that little pink bastid (de ja vu anyone?) i went over and pitted him... win #8

fight ten was mantis vs Tick Tock

horizontal vs vertical grabber...
activate was called, i drove over and grabbed TT, lifted it up and dumped it out of the arena... another really fast fight and win #9

fight eleven was Dominus vs yoink!

a fight i was pretty nervous for as i know how well driven the pink bots are... the first half of the fight was me getting flipped all over the place, the second half was me flipping him all over the place... finally though, him trying to push me and me reversing made him drive into the pit... probably my longest fight so far and win #10

fight twelve was Esper vs i can't believe it's not Stanley

the second matchup that made me nervous... another brilliant driver... and boy did it show... after being schooled and wedged against the wall, and after finally thinking i had escaped... nope i was pitted... out classed massively... i still have a lot to learn...
and another fight over in a few seconds...

fight thirteen was mantis vs Betsie

betsie, being one of the larger bots and the whole top panel being a flipper i knew was going to be tricky to get hold of...
but after trying to grab i managed to push her into the pit instead... i was actually quite sad i didnt get to try and grab Betsie to see how it would work out (whiteboard next time Mark??) but ahh well, a wins a win... and this was #11

fight fourteen was mantis vs Diotant

this was my favourite fight of the day... after a little back and forth at the very beginning i managed to get Diotant in my grasp (he was the perfect shape for it) where i proceeded to showboat just a little, pirouetting on my way to the pit edge where i decided, nah i want to put him in the other side... i went over and before i put him in, decided another spin was necessary... then i dropped him into the pit... this was actually my plan with all of mantis's fights but i guess the excitement of the event put it to the back of my mind... win #12

fight fifteen was Esper vs Juggernaut

you already read about this one so i shall move on
win #13

fight sixteen was mantis vs Ripper 2 (again)

i didnt think there would be fights doubled until later on in the competition but i stand corrected...
so after having the same trouble i had the first time around, and him doing the same pushing me into the pit as last time it almost went the same way as last time... only this time i managed to wriggle free at the last second leaving him to drive himself into the pit... win #14

fight seventeen was mantis vs Yoink!

well... all i can say is i was wiped the floor with... finally being flipped into the pit... mantis was out... but he had a good run and the crowd seemed to love it...

fight eighteen was Esper vs anty histamine

after getting the better of ah early on, the fight changed fast when he got under me and pushed me straight into the pit... i did try to spin out before i went in hoping it would cause him to go in instead, but i didn't do it in time... it was about this time i had noticed the rules changed from first to touch the bottom of the pit back to the original agressor rule from before... not implying i lost because of it because either way i would have lost, i just feel that the rules should remain the same throughout the competition...

anyway, i digress...

Esper, after another pretty decent run, was out... she did well in her first big competition though so i was happy with the result

fight nineteen was Dominus vs unorthodox

much like the smart ant 7 fight i planned on avoiding that mad flipper, and much like the sa7 fight i did exactly what i did the first time around and got round the side and pushed it out of the arena... win #14

fight twenty was Dominus vs RBMK

i had planned on box rushing and did... but damn this thing hits hard... after smashing my flipper panel off, and removing some motors from their mounts, i just kept throwing myself at it in the hopes of gaining some advantage... i should have conceeded earlier and taken less damage as dominus still had 1 fight left after this... but nope... i kept going until i was unable to move due to my rear gearbox being bent slightly to where it no longer contacted the output of the motor... giving me nothing left to throw myself at it with... i was counted out...

cue the most stressful 10 mins of my life... i was shaking (i never get like that) dropping screws, supergluing myself to parts... supergluing myself to myself...
all trying to get dominus up and running for my last fight... all the while being asked every 10 seconds it seemed if i was ready...

thanks to everyone who did some Whiteboards to give me some extra time to get dominus working again...

but a mere 10 mins after it was destroyed, dominus returned looking practically the same as it did before... flipper working and all...

fight twenty one Dominus vs Trigger

now as rushed as my repairs were, and how much it looked like i had managed to pull off the greatest repair job in history, the glue i used to hold dominus's new flipper support in place hadn't dried properly... another 2 mins and i think i would have been ok...
activate, and i box rushed trigger... took a good few hits before my flipper panel bent upwards... i can no longer get under trigger so dominus is now a battering ram... i keep ramming and ramming until i notice one of triggers wheels has stopped working... so i back away to see if he can move out of his circumference... but i guess the adrenaline was still pumping and i stupidly backed away and got myself caught on the pit edge... after trying to get myself free, i just ended up falling in... and that ladies and gentlemen, was me out of the competition... but im happy that i was only beaten by the bots that finished 1st and 2nd... losing to the 2 best bots on the day is something nobody can be upset with...

i had a great run... my bots managed to finish in 13th place for both esper and mantis and i managed 5th place with Dominus... my best results ever at an aws...

it was a hell of a day...

between myself, the mrs and my son we managed to leave with 28 wins overall, 2 bots that were smashed but all had a great time...

i gave dominus's flipper panel to George as i feel it was well deserved, plus it was the more important trophy of the 2 he got that day...

a big well done to George for winning

and another big thanks to chris for running that record breaking event... heres to the next one (although i don't think i will make it to Sheffield for the next aws)

and finally, a huge thank you to anyone who made it this far reading this stupidly large post

Luke
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

so.... this kinda happened...

left is the all new Dominus. titanium bar and kevlar reinforced carbon fibre shell

middle is Dusty. titanium bar and 1.5mm polycarb with .05 titanium shell

right is Lightfury. carbon steel bar and 1mm polycarb shell (doubled to 2mm in some places)

Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

so, report for antweight open 2019.

this time, im not going into huge detail because its a long read and even longer to type.

so at this event my son was sadly too ill to attend, so just me and the mrs.

teamed up for the 2v2's and managed to finish 3rd, but you are all here for the main event... so...

first up, Lauren.

her 2 non destructive robots didnt do so hot... both losing their first 2 fights and were out. but her newly named spinner "Here's Johnny!" performed really well... she managed to net herself 4 wins and the award for the most destructive robot (sorry betsie)

now myself... both Esper and Dominus performed pretty well, picking up a handful of wins before finally being knocked out.
Mantis however, in its new 4wd configuration performed about as well as i could have hoped... it drives exactly how i want it to... i managed a lot of wins with mantis (sorry betsie) and even managed to take out 3 of team efforts robots, and we all know how well driven they are. so i made it into the final... against team oink... another ridiculously good driver... sadly i think my nerves got the better of me... after some back and forth i ended up reversing myself into the pit... stupid way to end the event, but boy was it a good one...
managed to spot a few area's for improvement with mantis and already have done some alterations ready for aws 60.

so we arrived with 6 working bots, and left with 6 working bots, 3 certificates (mantis got 2nd place certificate and best engineered certificate) and a trophy that lauren earned (thanks Mark)

but as with every other event, i had a great time, Lauren had a great time and a big thanks to Dan for organising the event and to everyone that showed up to make the day as great as it was.

i will apologize now for the state of the future of combat robots, i heard at least 3 people say they want to build their very own mantis...

thanks for reading
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Hey it was a pleasure being beaten :)

Betsie even got the award for "most destroyed", which was spectacular but didn't damage anything crucial.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands