Team Rocket, Updates and Reports

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

voorsk

Re: hello

Post by voorsk »

love the grabber!

I'm so jealous of people who can build a bot from anything in seemingly no time. I've spent loads of evenings working on my melon-shaped axe/grabber, and it's pants. :P
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
Kyro

Re: hello

Post by Kyro »

thanks for the help and compliments guys.

i have relocated my switch to the bottom where i am now making it as hard as possible to switch off by hand. figure if its tricky for me when im trying, itll be even trickier for another bot... in theory...

voorsk, if you lived near to me, id be happy to come and help with any builds... i mean, im no expert on anything, but i am the king of bodging it til it works.

im not expecting dusty to last very long seeing as its less than 1mm polypropylene but i figured id get more arena time with 2 bots and thus, more experience... plus im not sure on how well itll work so rather than comit to building it from materials that cost money, il build it from crap and see how it goes.

another question, you know theres that 7% rule for speeding? is there something simmilar with weight? because im sure not evey set of scales is exact...
so if i built a bot that weighs 149g but my scales are 2g out and weighs 151g on the day, is there a "well thats within our maximum allowance" thing or is it a "you better go drill some holes quick before its too late" situation?

sorry for so many questions, but my first time id like to go without any hitches... plus, the more you know........
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
MarkR

Re: Lukes ramblings

Post by MarkR »

In my experience scales are within 1-2 grams.

I would personally suggest that you build it to 149g or thereabouts, there is only a small chance of it weighing 151g on the day. If it does, yes, lop a few bits off.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

thanks... last time i weighed all the parts of 187 i was at 150.68g but i still had a fair bit of trimming to do which is now done and its currently drying up... i have plenty of inner chassis i can add speed holes to if need be so getting it within weight shouldnt be a problem for me...

im nearly finished with 187... completion is so close i can taste it... after its dry, i just need to work on a way to attach the top shell then tie up some loose ends and its good to go...

im sure i will shed a tear when a spinner turns it to dust though...

as for dusty, largely untouched since my last pics although i have made a test flipper and a test grabber... surprisingly, the flipper is enough to overturn 187 fairly easily... not bad for a cheap mg90s servo held on with electrical tape...

im having trouble keeping the front down when the grabber is up, but i still have a decent bit of weight to work with so thatll likely be a chunk of steel as a weight/armour for the back of my dustpan...

going to get 187 finished before i complete dusty though as id rather have 1 finished bot over 2 half finished bots ready for antfreeze...
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

trimming is complete. done a few modifications and am now weighing in at 144g... plenty for attaching the top shell with a little to spare... not entirely sure how im going to attach it just yet, but i will find a way...
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

so... other than putting names on them, i think im about done...
i sure hope my scales are correct... five quid jobbie off feebay...

dusty has a grabber and flipper that i managed to make weigh exactly the same, so i can swap between matches depending on what i require...

2.5mm aluminium front armour and dustpan support with some really thin aluminium below... self rights no trouble with both weapons and from every feasible angle...
187 no longer looks shiny and pretty but i quite like the battered look... wont make it seem so bad coming out the arena with more added to it...

heres some pics...

as a final note, my lipo bag arrived today... antfreeze gets more and more real for me as the days pass... i shall enjoy putting faces to the names that have helped me out with all my questions... thanks alot guys, it is much appreciated
Last edited by Kyro on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

so i actually made this a few days ago but forgot to post it...

this is my bodge job bot that i have decided to name useless... its made from bits of crap i had laying around... the reason for the name... its a 3 wheel drive push bot with next to no power... actually, the motor for the steering has some power, but the wheel has next to no grip. it handles like a bag of wet rats to the point that it barely steers without giving it some throttle, and reverse is practically non existent... i built this with losing in mind as its really just there as a joke... although i spent more time than I probably should have making the funky wheel to allow rolling in 2 directions... basically a load of tiny bearings with heat shrink around each to provide some "grip"

its mainly held together with electrical tape and superglue, so it should explode into tiny pieces if it meets a spinner...

it does however have a 400mah lipo so i shouldnt need to charge it for a while (probably the only positive for it)

it is invertible, but when flipped, it has to drive backwards because as I mentioned reverse has no guts whatsoever... but then, forward is not much better... it struggles to push 187 along when 187 is not even pushing back... and even then i have to wiggle from left to right to get it moving even a little...

weighs in at around 145g... and is my third and final bot for ant freeze (i have more parts on order for the AWS at the end of feb and should have a couple of less useless bots built in time for it)

and now for some pics

Last edited by Kyro on Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I think you missed a trick, with a simile like that you should have called the robot "bag of wet rats"

Drives like a bag of wet rats :)
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

ok, so the night before antfreeze and both 187 and dusty have been rebuilt...

well both look nothing like they did the last time i posted...

dusty is no longer a dustpan or grabber and 187 is no longer a pusher...

i have handed the reigns of dusty to my son for the event while i will be driving 187 and useless...

he has had maybe 10 mins of practise driving dusty so im hoping he will learn more as he goes... also hoping we dont meet spinners on the first fight...

i guess we can only wait and see...

good luck to all going tomorrow, and i look forward to meeting you

Luke
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

the journey has begun... I'll see you all in a few hours
Team Rocket