T_Y's Build Log

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

T_Y

Re: T_Y's Build Log

Post by T_Y »

I think for AWS 60 I'll just use two Arduinos, one for each DRV8833. This will let me re-use my existing code to PWM in both directions to some degree, so I can focus on getting the mechanum wheel design to work.

I've assembled the wheels and printed the chassis off. Temporarily fixing the components in place with blu-tack, I can fit everything inside, with enough room for wiring once compressed down a bit.

At the minute, the bot weighs 119.5g, so I should be able to get the 0.5mm Ti wedge (the current one is just card), wiring and lid in that.

I've also made a 0.5mm polycarb 'scoop', which has a bit of acetate on the front, as the Ti wedge is too long to have acetate on the end and still fit inside the cube. This will be used against bots where a lower ground clearance is needed.

Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I am suitably impressed. Does it drive?

Did you code in mixing so you can have one stick to turn and one to do forward / back / sideways?
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

I haven't had the chance to wire it all up yet. I should have time to do that this weekend.

I'm planning on having translation on the right stick (ELE for forwards/backwards, AIL for left/right) and use RUD for turning. I've worked out how the wheels should turn with either left stick or right stick input, but not how they should turn with both translation and rotation inputs at the same time.

Ants:
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Hi Thomas.

I really like seeing a mecanum wheels on an antweight :) . I did build one many years ago called strafen.

Watch how the wheels move at the start of the video to go sideways. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk6nfKTvEZI

It's effectively 3 channel mixing giving 4 independent outputs, one to each wheel and 4 separate h bridges.

Will it be at AWS60?
TEAM GEEK!
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

Will it be at AWS60?
That's the plan! (Assuming I get it all ready in time :))

Ants:
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

Had an interesting week. I found out that my soldering iron had died, so I had to rush buy one off amazon XD. Another thing I found out is that the titanium I have doesn't seem to like sharp 90 degree bends (or at least, the way I was bending it), and was shearing along the fold. So I'm going to stick with aluminium for AWS for now as I know how to machine that well enough.

I spent this afternoon doing a lot of soldering and now...

Error 404 is now wired up. It's a horrible mess inside and I have no idea if something will short once I power it on, but all I need to do now is program the thing - that'll be tomorrow's job. I only have weight for a 0.5mm polycarb lid, and I still need to add some kind of adhesive to the pins on the wheels to keep them from coming out, I'm currently at 149.5g.

One week to go to AWS 60, hype levels are rising!

Ants:
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

It seems like there are some wiring issues with Error 404. Because I don't have a huge amount of free time between now and AWS, I've made the decision to replace it with HYTTIOAOA for AWS 60 (I'll still bring it along though).

So, here is the competing team, PM2 and HYTTIOAOA V3.

HYTTIOAOA V3 boasts a slightly wider wheelbase and the KingMax servo that is in PM2. The lifter portion is left relatively narrow so it can slip between an opponents wheels. The lifter now has a backstop which should in theory let it actually lift bots. It also lets it drive upside down without needing to open the lifter. With the drive upgrade, it can ram into a wall while upside down to self-right now.

I've also made an anti-hotizontal wedge out of 1mm aluminium.

Getting very excited for this weekend, it's gonna be a good one!

Ants:
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
retropunk

Post by retropunk »

can't wait to see you and your bots there!
by the way, i've been thinking about building a flipper, how is the servo you're using for HYTTIOAOA? :)
team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

The servo T_Y uses in hyttioaoa and in PM2 is one I put him on to. It's one my brother uses is his flipper, Fling Mustachio, and it is torquey as you like. Fast too. And whilst they're still too new on the field to be thoroughly tested, I don't know of any having broken yet. I know that Kaazmin also uses one in SUN, and I'm planning to buy a few for my own future builds, as I only have 2 of the old Pinks. The Kingmax servo does drain battery FAST though compared to the Pink. 180mah is still ample for one fight, but you notice a power drop off in the flip quite quickly if you don't recharge.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291448 ... 4c4doTSRqR
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
retropunk

Post by retropunk »

that’s sick! guess i’ll have to check it out, thanks dude!
team A12 / BANANAPHONE

Solderburn v2 (1-5)