T_Y's Build Log

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

T_Y

Re: T_Y's Build Log

Post by T_Y »

I asked about those Micron Wings ESCs, they have no BEC and only drive in one direction :( Those JMTs seem promising though, what is the purpose of the switch on them?
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
Ant Ipodean

Post by Ant Ipodean »

The switch on the end of the pair of wires on the JMT (and the Bustophedon) is simply for on - off.
It is redundant in our application, so better to cut it off, shorten the wires, and join them together.

The switch on the corner of the Bustophedon board is for the braking function.
Keep it off, slide towards the corner.

Mike.
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Maybe I missed something but I'm curious how come you want your drive controllers without braking?
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
Ant Ipodean

Post by Ant Ipodean »

Well, braking would generally be a good thing, subject to personal driving preference.
But on these particular ESCs, which I presume are primarily intended for RC cars, braking means you move the stick up to go forward, then far down to stop with braking, then back to centre, then back down if you want to reverse. ie. From forward to reverse: Move stick from forward to reverse to neutral to reverse.
Compound this effect on 2 channels and it's very confusing to drive in combat!

Mike.
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Ahhh. Yeah that sounds awkward. Fair enough. I've only any experience driving with Rory's controllers and on those it's just let the stick centre to brake. Having to pull down, centre, then pull down again to reverse sounds a nuisance. Cheers for the explanation.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

It's been a while since the last update!

My exams are over now, so I can dedicate a lot more time to getting the bots up and running for the end of the month. So I maaaayyyyy have treated myself and picked up a 3D printer... I've spent a fair amount of time printing off random bits and bobs. I'm discovering loads of applications for 3D printed parts, I've been churning off miniatures for DnD!

But back to robots. I've printed off the brackets for Percussive Maintenance and a harness to mount the spanner to the weapon motors. I spent this afternoon cutting and drilling the polycarbonate panels, and now I have the shell!

One thing I've learned is that my accuracy is not the best, but that will improve in time. For now, this will do. The next step is to get all the wiring sorted. I don't have the ESC for the weapon yet (it's still enroute from China) but I can get the drive system working. Another thing I forgot to check was if I could fit everything inside, as the 3D model in Sketchup only models the drive and weapon motors... I may have to make the shell a bit bigger to accommodate three ESCs, a receiver and battery!

I'm still fiddling around with Hello, World!'s mounting system for the armour panels. The original design for the brackets are too flimsy, to the point that I managed to snap a few of them by hand getting them off the raft, so I need to revisit that at some point.
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
DieGracefullyRobotics

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

That's starting to look great! Nice to see something totally new coming through.
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Nice, what 3D printer did you buy?

Have you visited York hack space? I’ve still not made the journey to see if their is a robot building scene or not.

Really neat looking shell you’ve made.
MichaelG92

Post by MichaelG92 »

I love the look of Percussive Maintenance, I can’t wait to see it in action!

Congrats on finishing your exams btw! I too shall be done in 48hrs, it can’t come soon enough.
Michael - Team MG Robotics

Fledgling Surrey based roboteering team

Antweights:

MicroNewton - flipper
ArmamAnt! - pusher
GFB - flipper (under construction)
Fight or Flight - flipper (under construction)
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

that looks really good! nice angles. :)
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot