T_Y's Build Log

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

T_Y

Re: T_Y's Build Log

Post by T_Y »

So I've added forks to the leading edge, cut from 0.5mm plasticard.

I've also added a 1.5mm HDPE shield for the exposed wiring inside the jaw. It's not that strong (especially compared to the rest of the armour), but the angle and the fact that it's right at the back of the jaw should hopefully mean that it'll work to at least keep spinners from cutting all the wires.

I had to cut a hole in the jaw to make weight, but the whole thing clocks in at 149.1g.
Thomas - Approximation Robotics AKA "the one that does the mechanums"

Ants:
PLA-ST Is a Perfectly Legitimate Choice of Material
Percussive Maintenance 4: A New Spinner
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

So I've fixed the wiring for INABIAF. I found the reason for why it was cutting out in a sharp change in direction - apparently I had the motor driver taking power from the Arduino instead of directly from the battery!

Well, the team is now ready for AWS 58.

Ants:
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

Post-AWS update!

AWS 58 was brilliant - I had so much fun there, despite not doing very well. I brought WAI, INABIAF and HYTTIOAOA, and won 2 of my 8 fights - 2 better than last year at any rate! I'm pleased that INABIAF survived against Chaotica, a large overhead spinner, without taking any damage aside from losing two screws - the armour panels and 3D prints held up nicely. And compared to last year, I feel my driving has improved. Now I just need to build robots that can self-right!

Speaking of the 3D prints, I was talking to others at the event about the material I use, and I think I'm going to try PETG.

AWS 58 basically confirmed what I thought - my bots are too slow. I've got a load of much faster motors on order already so that's sorted. I've also ordered two KingMax servos. One will go into HYTTIOAOA, the other is for the next project... CAD pictures should be up soon ;)

For AWS 59 in September, I'm planning on bringing HYTTIOAOA, WAI and said project - if I need to drop a bot due to numbers, I think HYTTIOAOA will sit it out - at this point I've worked out most of the kinks in it, and I really want to continue to develop WAI further.

Ants:
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

So I finished the CAD work for the next bot...

Presenting Percussive Maintenance 2: Tech Support Boogaloo!

Taking some design cues from Blacksmith, this version is more boxy, which means there should be more space inside to fit the components. I'll use a pinless LemonRX, the AWESCv4 I picked up at AWS58 (thanks Chris!), 12V 1000RPM motors for drive. The spanner will be powered by a KingMax servo, geared with a 1:4 gear ratio to get the required degree of rotation out of the weapon. I've taken the opportunity to lay out everything so I know how much space I've got to play with.

I also plan to have attachment points on the front, to allow me to attach either some Blacksmith-style forks, or aluminium plates for fighting against spinners.

One issue I think I'll have is weight. If my calculations are correct, the electrical components, armour, screws and spanner come to around 112g, leaving 38g for the 3D prints. I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit everything I want into 150g. I could cut off the tail section of the bot, as that is not really needed, but I'd rather not compromise on the shape as I like it so much. I could perforate various armour panels, but that runs the risk of giving lots of little bite points for spinners.

How does 1mm polycarb compare to 1.5mm polycarb in terms of survivability against spinners? If I swap all the armour plates to 1mm polycarb I can save around 12g, which might be the thing that lets me get everything in under weight.
Last edited by T_Y on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ants:
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

Dominus was 1mm polycarb... depending how well you think it did against RBMK should give you an answer...

in honesty other than a few gouges, there wasn't much damage to the polycarb... it was mainly the mounts fir flipper and wheels that failed
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I generally only use 1.5mm where I need rigidity. That said you saw the hole that Trigger made in the 1mm (wait, that might've been 0.5mm. I'm not sure) polycarb the 7075 aluminium was bolted to. Also your front armour where you'll have an optional wedge - perforate that to your heart's content as if you're fighting anything that might take advantage of weak or perforated armour, it'll be covered by your wedge. I'd also definitely make the top and upper armour out of 0.5mm. Ant axes aren't that powerful :p
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

Good point about the front armour.

I think I'll stick with 1.5mm for the front, lower sides and base, 1mm for the tail section and 0.5mm for the top and upper sides. That should give me an extra 6.5g to play with. Perforating the base and the front armour panels should also shave off a few grams.

Ants:
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

I bought a roll of PETG filament as I ran out of PLA+ and wanted to see how well it would do. Unfortunately I've been having problems with layer adhesion, particularly higher up the print, as well as with supports, so I need to sort that out.

In the meantime, back to PLA+, I've started wireframing PM2 TSB.

The version that I bring to RoboShowdown will have to be made using the PLA+, as I won't have time to dial in the PETG settings and do everything I need.

Ants:
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
T_Y

Post by T_Y »

Just over a week to RoboShowdown and progress has been made. The armour has all been cut out for PM2:

I did a bit of testing of the axe as well, borrowing the NanoTwo from HYTTIOAOA for that. It's... MUCH faster and stronger than previous iterations. I can't wait to put the complete thing in the arena and see how it performs (it definitely will self this time!).

As an aside, the wheels I've made for this are tiny! Total diameter of 17mm compared to 35mm for my other custom wheels.

I also did a weight test. So chassis, drive motors, wheels, weapon, servo, AWESC and LemonRX (plus packaging to simulate some wiring) come to...

Huh, apparently I'm very bad at calculating weights! Add the LiPo (around 14g I think) takes this to around 130g, leaving plenty of wiggle room for potential front attachments.

This weekend will be spent wiring everything, not to mention putting replacement motors in my other bots. I've also picked up a FlySky FS-i6 and Rx, which I intend to fit into one of my other bots so my brother has something to play around with in any rumbles or 2v2s that might happen on the day. Hopefully that'll get him into the hobby :)

Quick question, if I want to power a servo from the battery instead of the Rx, do I just reroute the power and ground wires from the servo to the battery, and leave the signal going to the rx?

Ants:
Stack Overflow

Beetles:
Déjà Vu/Two
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

That's exactly what I do, yeah.
I'm really looking forwards to seeing PM2 at roboshowdown!
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!