"Flip-it” new build/project

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Paulmchurd

Re: "Flip-it” new build/project

Post by Paulmchurd »

After many hours of coding... anger...more coding... it has finaly all come together.

I’ve made a cheap and simple controller using an arduino. This has all been done before by other people around the world.

However their coding was over complicated and in some cases had issues with delays and unresponsive controller movements. Also most people used shop bought RC transmitters that can communicate with an arduino. In this case I am using an analog stick from a ps2 controller.

Now I’ve got the prototype working my next stage is to condense the wires and boards into a nice neat stack which could slot into a robot.

The whole purpose of this project is to reduce costs. So I can use the tiny after school club budget I have to build as many robots as possible.

Items used:

2 x Arduino Pro mini. £3.20
2x NRF24L01 and 3.3v adaptor board. £4
1x L9110S H-Bridge 44p
1x analog stick 75p

Total = £8.39

This build combines Transmitter, reciever and ESC into one package. For only £8.39!!!! Bargain.

I’ll put a github of my code up at some point. Let me know if you are interested in seeing it.

It’s seems like a lot of batteries however once wires are spliced it will only need 1 battery per arduino. The H-bridge was drawing to much amperage through the arduino so I just added a second battery to keep it simple. Really I could of used the breadboard to split the voltage....

That’s one white knee... need to get out the house more 🤣
Fulford

Post by Fulford »

This seems like a really neat solution, as someone who know nothing about programing will it be possible for you to add a weapon control to this set up?
First ant under construction :o
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Fulford wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:40 pm This seems like a really neat solution, as someone who know nothing about programing will it be possible for you to add a weapon control to this set up?
Yes, you could either use the button built into the analog joystick. Pushing in the joystick, It was a function in ps2 controllers that I don’t think anyone used. Or you could add a separate button to act as a switch to turn a spinner weapon on/off or activate a flipper. It’s more simple to add a button then programming the mixing for the analog stick.

The tricky issue that I will have to tackle is adding a failsafe into the system, to allow usage at AWS. I’m sure it’s possible as commercial Tx have them.

I’m planning on 3D printing a controller to mount buttons,joystick and battery pack on to.
Fulford

Post by Fulford »

That makes sense, although I could see using the analog stick button to be a bit of a pain.

The 3d printed mount sounds like a good idea, will you add any other buttons to that?

Your kids are really lucky to have you putting in all this work for them!
First ant under construction :o
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Thanks Fulford. It’s fun for me and hopefully even more fun for them.

I now have my arduino “blob” working. Weighs in at 12g.

My code seems to get confused with its self when changing direction there will be a half second pause where it stops then changes direction. This seems to happen only with the NRF24L01 module and not my shop bought TX/RX this doesn’t happen.

Maybe I need to do less transmissions from the joystick a second? I’ll test it later.

I’m still using two batteries but will switch over to 1eventually as I soldered the VCC input instead of the RAW power line. Messing around with electronics takes a surprisingly long time....
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Thought I’d revisit one of my bots. To improve its flipper.

I am onto my third iteration of the weapon. Originally I used a fork like flipper. Which was was an awful idea in hindsight, I did it to try and save weight. If it tried to flip a robot the forks just bent and had no power. I added a small support panel on to it which helped a little.

I then used 1mm polycarbonate instead of 1.5mm to make a full panel flipper. Which worked great however a little flimsy. Sometimes not being able to flip 150g very far at all.

So I decided to do some weight saving on the robot to build a 1.5mm thick flipper. Drilled some speed holes, Took off the RX case, chopped some wire and swapped to some lighter wheels.

Short video of flipping other robots...https://youtu.be/oWYEO90w0lU

Jobs left to do:

Trim the carbon fibre rods.
Remove stencil and protective film.
Add acetate to the flipper for better scooping.
Possible paint job
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Spoilt by my family...30th Birthday gift 😁

Took me about 1 hour to level the bed as the sensor had not been placed in the right location. 🤯
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

My first printed wheel, got my D-Hole dimensions wrong.... nice loose fit 😂

Back to the drawing board.

Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

NEW BOT! Introducing...

Stolen Concept, going for a fully 3D printed design. You may recognise this from somewhere. Hence the name 🤫🌚

Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Can anyone guess what I’m making?

I just need some banggood post to turn up today....please🙄