Self righting from side

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

AntRoboteer

Self righting from side

Post by AntRoboteer »

Hi again,

I am unsure of how to get my robots to self right off their sides. Does anybody have any idea of how to go about this (either static or moving options considered)? Thanks!
EpicentrE

Re: Self righting from side

Post by EpicentrE »

There's a few ways that most people do it. You can have sides that are sloped downwards, such that resting on them makes you automatically fall onto your top, from where you can self-right normally. Alternatively, you can have a small ridge or bolt sticking out that serves the same purpose. A third way is possible if you have exposed wheels, which is to design it such that the sides of your wheels are touching the floor while on your side. From this position, you can drive backwards and forwards to wiggle yourself off your side.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
daveimi

Post by daveimi »

Yeah agree with Epicentre. Easiest way if you've already started building etc is to literally have something poking out the sides so that if the robot gets rolled it can only come to rest on the top or bottom. Some feathers in Oz even have full roll over bars! Youtube Scissorhands at Robowars.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

thunder strike ( my grabber robot ) had a problem self righting from the side so i literally taped a bit of wire to each side and it's fine now.
Attachments
HNI_0074_MPO.JPG
HNI_0074_MPO.JPG (89.92 KiB) Viewed 8043 times
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Thanks so much guys!

Hogi: I will definitely use your idea of a bit of wire taped to the outside of the robot. That is simply inspired!

Thanks to you all for your helpful suggestions!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Play around with shape and centre of gravity to ensure the robot is not stable in a position it can't get out of. Make sure it always rolls onto its back or front.
It's also worth checking that your flipper has enough throw, and the C of G is in the right place so that the robot can reliably self-right. Adding a spike or two to the top of the flipper arm can give some extra 'throw'.
If you look at pictures of RONNY you can see the angled shape that ensures it always rolls onto its front or back, and the bolts on the top of the flipper to ensure it self-rights reliably.

If you have the sides of the wheels exposed and enough overall width, adding a lump close to the rim will work as a cam to tip the robot off of its side.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

I have now totally rebuilt my robot with sloping sides and it self rights perfectly in every way. Thanks very much to all of you - you were all very helpful!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

When do we get to see a picture dude?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Sorry, you will have to wait until AWS 45. It will be called Hoondal, the new addition to the GiANT/TopHat/Power team.

I am hoping to do well with this one!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Haha. I can't wait!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39