My first robot

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Jordanmann

My first robot

Post by Jordanmann »

I'm finally about to build my first ever robot I've come up with a design a wedged shaped flipper.any pointers for a newbie :D
Rhys

Re: My first robot

Post by Rhys »

Keep it simple, and get lots of driving practise. You'll find that's usually enough to get good results in your first competition.

As for more specific advice, I would say a wedge shaped flipper is a good place to start. Very effective and quite easy to build. I would say avoid modified servos and go for gear motors for drive. The GWS HXPF is probably the best servo you can get for a flipper, so get one of those if your budget can stretch to it. Do you have and parts/equipment already? Good luck.
Jordanmann

Post by Jordanmann »

I have got 2 gear moters from robotwars101 and some other stuff

I picked a wedge shaped flipped for exactly the reasons you said.i would love to build a spinner but I think that's a little too complacated for me :P
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

The GWS HPXF should do very nicely for most robots but the gears aren't immune from stripping - if you find that happens a good alternative is the Hitec HS82 MG, which is slightly slower but has metal gears which are a bit more durable.

As Rhys says, driving practice is essential - spending even five minutes driving your robot and knowing how well it responds will help hugely in the arena. Make sure you have good traction with the ground, enough ground clearance to be able to drive off wedges should you be got underneath, and a low front to get under other robots, and you'll probably do very well and put up a good fight against the majority of competitors at a given World Series!

Best of luck Jordan, and feel free to ask about anything else :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Jordanmann

Post by Jordanmann »

Thanks Joey ill make sure I practice driving and make the front low as possible :)
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hey Jordan :)

There is a Robot Wars show in a week in Widnes, which is only half an hour from you in Bolton, so if you want to come and see the show and meet a few ant builders (like me) and ask some questions in person, feel free to :).
Jordanmann

Post by Jordanmann »

Maybe I will Dave

I watch your YouTube and you are awesome :D
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Dave will you have your full spinner arena at Widnes? Might bring Inertia 5 and Momentum along to test between the shows.
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
Psychostorm

Post by Psychostorm »

Will, it's a lid. Can you bring the lid?
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I'll bring the lid for the case :). Spinner demos a go-go :)