I'm giving up

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

haz

Re: I'm giving up

Post by haz »

In addition to Dr FaceReplace/Killed in the face/Face MD spinner I have acquired this rather spiffy frame from Will along with a disc that will be made into something, not uberdestructive but much more reliable, Building your own robots is too mainstream :wink:
Eggbeater has gone back to one of my "screw you weight distribution" designs. but the fact that its blue should make up for it, right? That's how physics works yeah?
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Hey...what smells like blue?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
haz

Post by haz »

*eats popcorn*
haz

Post by haz »

What ho chaps! Did some work on the new spinner.

Frame has holes cut for what I believe is a typhoon something something motor, which is rather expensive to buy new and would be hard to fit in with the disc and design I have planned so I have made up a little motor mount/adapter plate out of some PCB so as to mount the smaller outrunner. I will be trying to attach the disc using a prop adapter, or failing that some custom turned thing. The motor might be a little on the small side but this isn't designed to be super powerful so meh. If i feel it needs more oomph then I'll upgrade.

Motors on this are the 30:1 LV botbitz ones, so I should have a fair bit of speed. wheels are 21mm slot car ones, nicely grippy so I should have a decent drive on this robot. With the wide wheelbase and the slow disc speed this shouldn't have much difficulty driving while spinning.

So far I'm loving the BotBitz 6a ESC's. they are tiny. I removed the capacitors from them to save a little space. here is the two drive ESC and one brushless ESC in one teensy package. When i add the RX i can shorten the wiring a bit more.

Apologies for the picture spam, I really don't have anything better to do!
josh

Post by josh »

The frame was originally designed to internally house a Typhoon 3/3D.
Here's some images from my original builds:
RPD International
www.RPDintl.com
haz

Post by haz »

Ooooh. That's dead posh Josh. Funnily enough I was considering carbon fiber molded thingy for this :)
Cheers for the images!
haz

Post by haz »

Got the eggbeater driving. current weight is 140g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UkGAVZV_N8
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Very cool. Looks very solid Haz, I'm very impressed. Take it you're going to cut the battery cable down? Looking forward to seeing it in the arena, with a suitably silly name.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
haz

Post by haz »

Thanks :) Yeah, i'm going to shorten that a bit, and get a switch/link on there aswell. Still deciding about the name, but it will end up being stupid.
haz

Post by haz »

Well, now I'm total free of school now (until I find out exactly how badly I failed my exams) I can pretty much try and build all of the everything ever.
I did a little work on the eggbeater, which may end up being called What smells like blue? due to lack of imagination. Added some more frame supports to stiffen it and because it looks kinda cool :P Also got a battery to fit in it, changing around the internal parts helped a bit. now just need a lid, probably be hdpe/polycarb unless i get hold of some Carbon fiber.
It all looks worryingly professional, and it is finished way in advance of the competition... who am I and what have I done with the real Harry?
Did some wiring on Critical Existence Failure, but nothing really worth showing, I still need to buy a prop adapter to use with the disc or beg someone clever with a lathe to make me a custom shaft/disc mount thing.

Thinking about it, I think having 3 spinners entered is a bit overkill/pointless TBH so sadly no Killed in the Face this time :(
I'll be entering a machine properly built, well balanced and really awesome looking (okay, its a shell I got from Jim) It was once Rim, and it is made of a 0.5mm folded Ti body and some ex soviet bulletproof vest plates (how COOL is that???) I need to fit some motors and do the electronics. Nothing special, just some botbitz escs and a 3 cell lipo. Trying to come up with an interesting name for it..
despite being a bit crap and just plain difficult/cruel I sort of want to call it (V) (;,,;) (V) Because when you need a robot name?

who needs imagination when you have the internet?