Peter Wallers Robot Ramblings

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Re: Peter Wallers Robot Ramblings

Post by peterwaller »

I fitted the new controller in my old Flippant which had died.
It ran faster than on the old controller and actually ended up being my most successful entry in AWS58.
Very pleased with how it ran.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Good stuff Peter, so we rate the rz7899 as "combat ready" ?

I also ran Stacie with the rz7899-based Malenki-ESC, and it ran nicely, it did a lot more heavy duty work in the kids' arena :) , and was still working at the end.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

My drum spinner Anticyclone has terrible gyro effects when turning due to the large mass and speed of the drum. I have redesigned it with a much lighter 3D printed drum which has 3 double ended Titanium blades with an indirect geared down belt drive. The robot is also my first try at printing in Carbon X a carbon fibre filled nylon material.
Below is a video of it turning with the drum on full throttle on a 3 cell battery.
https://youtu.be/JixlPH39ElA
Wigs

Post by Wigs »

Love it
Adam

Team Optimism
Not the face
Armoured "thing"
Hopper
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Just been doing a couple of repairs from Roboshowdown both of which can be partially blamed on poor maintenance.
The weapon motor in Anticyclone was the one that came out of Combatant with a broken shaft. As a quick repair I replaced the 2mm steel shaft with a carbon fibre one which I was going to replace but forgot. This broke and the resulting current seems to have overloaded the on/off switch. I have now fitted a steel shaft and just need to replace the switch.
Flippant had sustained damage to the self righting tynes at the AWS when I picked up a drum spinner but I thought they would be OK.
One was quickly taken off in an early bout and then tacked back on with superglue and sellotape but Morning Dew soon detached that again and half of the next one. They were printed in Polycarbonate which showed signs of delaminating so I have reprinted them in Carbon X.
Unfortunately this was slightly heavier than before so I have had to thin the armour somewhat and reprint it so I have done that also in carbon X and it has come in at 143 gms.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Here is part of the team with the new team logo.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Although the shell of Combatant only received superficial damage at AWS60 I decided to reprint it to try and add a little more overhang at the front in order to try and stop the blade catching the arena so much causing it to fly out. As it already a tight fit in the cube I wasn't able to add more than 4 mm. I also to the opportunity to dye it orange.
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

combat clemANTine
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Age-ANT Orange?
Stuart (Tony's dad)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

My granddaughter is probably going to be learning python next year at school so as her self appointed technical assistant I decided I had better find out how to program in python. I purchased a Raspberry pi 4 starter kit and HDMI monitor from Pi Hut and set about the task. I decided I would start with a Robot Battle Control system very similar ( It is always easier to copy other peoples work ) to the excellent one John Denny produced. It has so far taken about 3 weeks but apart from some improved audio files I am working on it is more or less there. Basically it consists of three timers the 3 minute battle timer, the 20 second hold / pin timer and the 10 second disabled timer. The control box has 7 segment displays for the operator but the much larger display with audio is provided for the roboteers.
Below is a video of its operation.
https://youtu.be/9SSK4TzgN4k