Team Shakey Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

minionhunter

Re: Team Shakey Build Diary

Post by minionhunter »

MarkR wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:57 pm I've not done any real testing, but I suspect the N20s have more power.

If you're using them for a weapon, I'd recommend the more powerful ones.

I could measure the stall-current or static resistance if you like.

N20s are not all created equal, they seem a bit random, most of the ones I have seem to be ~ 12Ω - 16Ω, I think the Pololu High Power are a bit less (=more current)
So that might be important for a pusher bot to have the higher power, yes?

Thank you!

Also it sounds like I'll have to measure my own once I get them and compare them to some n20s that I'll also have to get.
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

James Williams wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:20 pm Regarding N10's vs N20's George did a couple tests with these & wrote about them on his build diary http://www.robotwars101.org/forum/viewt ... &start=110
Cool! Thank you!
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

minionhunter wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:36 pm 1. Is the power supply for the 4, DC4S chargers something special or will it just show up on searches for them? I'm leaning towards duplicating that set up since I'm building for myself and my 4 children. I think we will all have a lot of bots by the end of the year if all goes well.

Also what would you recommend to get now if you needed to charge your tiny batteries in wedge wedge wedge instead of your really old power supply? Would I also assume that you use it to charge your flea and nano bot batteries?

2. Motors - how fast are the motors in wedge wedge wedge and the wheel sizes? Did you change them from when you first built them? If I'm remembering correctly, I think I remember that they looked really hard to control in the first fights I saw you use them. Did you all just get better at driving them with more practice or did you change out the motors?

Also motors. Is there any reason to get N20 motors for ants if the price is relatively similar to N10s? Do the n20s have more power? I'm just trying to figure out if I should invest in both N10 and N20 motors or just go with the N10s if I can buy in bulk. I am also assuming that the speeds/rpm are relatively similar for this question.
1. Just a standard 12V LED driver power supply (one of the metal mesh ones), can't remember what wattage.

2. I cannot remember at all! I think they are 25mm and 500RPM, not sure if I've ever changed their speed (Wedge Wedge Wedge is actually a fairly old line now). They are difficult bots to control due to their size and the compact weight distribution (Something I intend to fix soon(tm)), various chassis will have controlled differently over the years. The drivers also change fairly regularly for it (I am a solo team myself, just draft in 2 others everytime it enters).

I've not done any proper comparison on N10 vs N20. Really you'll just see N20's mentioned far more often as N10's are a relatively new thing to have entered the class on any scale. N20's have reigned king for around a decade now. Initially I see no reason most bots couldn't switch to N10's.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Shakey wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:57 pm
minionhunter wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:36 pm 1. Is the power supply for the 4, DC4S chargers something special or will it just show up on searches for them? I'm leaning towards duplicating that set up since I'm building for myself and my 4 children. I think we will all have a lot of bots by the end of the year if all goes well.

Also what would you recommend to get now if you needed to charge your tiny batteries in wedge wedge wedge instead of your really old power supply? Would I also assume that you use it to charge your flea and nano bot batteries?

2. Motors - how fast are the motors in wedge wedge wedge and the wheel sizes? Did you change them from when you first built them? If I'm remembering correctly, I think I remember that they looked really hard to control in the first fights I saw you use them. Did you all just get better at driving them with more practice or did you change out the motors?

Also motors. Is there any reason to get N20 motors for ants if the price is relatively similar to N10s? Do the n20s have more power? I'm just trying to figure out if I should invest in both N10 and N20 motors or just go with the N10s if I can buy in bulk. I am also assuming that the speeds/rpm are relatively similar for this question.
1. Just a standard 12V LED driver power supply (one of the metal mesh ones), can't remember what wattage.

2. I cannot remember at all! I think they are 25mm and 500RPM, not sure if I've ever changed their speed (Wedge Wedge Wedge is actually a fairly old line now). They are difficult bots to control due to their size and the compact weight distribution (Something I intend to fix soon(tm)), various chassis will have controlled differently over the years. The drivers also change fairly regularly for it (I am a solo team myself, just draft in 2 others everytime it enters).

I've not done any proper comparison on N10 vs N20. Really you'll just see N20's mentioned far more often as N10's are a relatively new thing to have entered the class on any scale. N20's have reigned king for around a decade now. Initially I see no reason most bots couldn't switch to N10's.
Thank you!!!
Tufty

Post by Tufty »

Thanks from me too, as a noob this is all great info!
Current active ants: Scrooge McDerp | Ply-By-Wire (likely not to see competition) | Grinding Nemo | When Unicorns Go Rogue
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Also more power is NOT needed for a pusher. N20s are overkill - wheels lose traction before the weakest N20 loses power. N10s are smaller and lighter, and from my understanding STILL overkill, so yeah. I'm waiting on a load to arrive to play with
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Shakey wrote: Thu May 12, 2016 10:47 pm I never did my normal post or even pre event update so here we go!

Filthy Casuals
I only finished filthy casuals the night before and it showed in the weapon as it just lacked the throw to be fully effective. The drive worked amazingly well with no issues despite being 2 motor 6 wheel drive and even carried on working after slice to meet you took 2 of the wheels out. Slice did a lot of damage to one side of the robot and the front but the many wheels did their job and kept it rolling with repairs being done in a few minutes after the fight. The big improvements needed are to get the geometry of the weapon right and to increase the speed of the drive. The speed really let me down against Slice To Meet You as everytime I took a hit I wasn't able to get back to Slice before it was up to speed again.
What happened to filthy casuals? I was rewatching AWS 49 and really like this bot. Looks nifty! Will you ever bring him back?
Last edited by minionhunter on Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Shakey wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:35 pm Post AWS 55 update! I know, late as normal but I'm feeling nostalgia for these post event posts.

!Snip!

Charge Block
An issue I regularly have when my team has 6 individual bots running in every tournament is charging. My poor single channel charger does an admirable job but often it just isn't enough. Enter the charge block! THe laser cutter put in some good work to make this happen and now I can charge 4 robots at a time. The DC4's chargers are great and this unit combines a 12V 'LED power supply' in the base with a drawer to hold charge cables. It made my life at the AWS far easier.

!Snip!
Do you sell plans on how to build this? It seems like a great way to make a cheap unit. I'm anticipating needing to charge batteries for myself and 3 kids at the same time and everything else I'm looking at seems like it would cost a fortune to buy anything decent for 4 batteries at the same time. If you have this so it reliably runs off one powersupply that is magic! With four little ones around the potentially dangerous charging of lipos and thinking about 4 power supplies and all those cords... That is a Hell I would like to avoid if possible.

No worries if not but I thought I would ask. I would pay for the plans to build this.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Why not buy a batch of the "super cheap" Hobbyking 2-3S lipo chargers (DC input), and build some kind of splitter cable so they can all run from the same (suitably rated) mains power supply.

They also have (if I remember correctly) screw holes in the back for mounting on a panel, e.g. a piece of timber with wood screws.

Also, at-event charging only really becomes a big problem if you get near to the end of the tournament when the rounds happen much faster (Shakey usually does!). But maybe your events are a lot smaller over there, because the Antweight scene here is now so popular, it's almost a victim of its own success.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

MarkR wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:29 am Why not buy a batch of the "super cheap" Hobbyking 2-3S lipo chargers (DC input), and build some kind of splitter cable so they can all run from the same (suitably rated) mains power supply.

They also have (if I remember correctly) screw holes in the back for mounting on a panel, e.g. a piece of timber with wood screws.

Also, at-event charging only really becomes a big problem if you get near to the end of the tournament when the rounds happen much faster (Shakey usually does!). But maybe your events are a lot smaller over there, because the Antweight scene here is now so popular, it's almost a victim of its own success.
I think, I thought, that's what I'm asking about here. Hobbyking has these DC4S chargers for about $10 each. What I think Alex did was design his own plates (metal?) and make the pictured above out of four of them. I was hoping he might have saved his CAD files for it. I can source my own power supply.

The reason why I need to charge many at once is my kids, they are going to fight each other all at once and they are going to need fresh batteries all at once. Plus if I do this for the girl scouts as I intend, then that will mean more that I have to deal with, I might even need to build two of these things and have 8 ports at the same time depending. Some of the girls parents will get into it, but others won't. I will also need to figure out a basic kit they can put together for the lowest cost to build a simple bot and run it, but that's later...

As far as your scene getting more popular and taking what, ten hours to go from start to finish? Have you guys thought about running two arenas at a time (at least at the beginning) to get though the initial matches? I know it would be an exponential increase in logistics (I REALLY get this) but it seems like you could keep the same general tournament structure intact (but schedule the combat so that the same team isn't fighting in both arenas at the same time) and cut the initial time in half (or allow more bots). The downside is that people can't watch all the fights live (and the logistics and staff needs).