Team Shakey Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: Team Shakey Build Diary

Post by Shakey »

minionhunter wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:20 am What happened to filthy casuals? I was rewatching AWS 49 and really like this bot. Looks nifty! Will you ever bring him back?
Filthy Casuals as a personal bot is retired but it still somewhat lives on. That geared drive iteration worked well enough it formed the basis for quite a few robots since: Sir Digby, Glitter Cannon Bot, Drill bot... etc.

What was kinda the spiritual successor was done as a commission (on the right):

PM me an email and I'll send you the file for the charger. It'll be sketchup so you'll need to figure out the making it an actual thing from that. The plates are laser cut acrylic.
MarkR wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:29 am Also, at-event charging only really becomes a big problem if you get near to the end of the tournament when the rounds happen much faster (Shakey usually does!). But maybe your events are a lot smaller over there, because the Antweight scene here is now so popular, it's almost a victim of its own success.
Also when power in the pits is an issue the 'charge block' becomes a sort of communal charger. I think last Ant Freeze there were at least 5-6 teams running off of it :P
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Shakey wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:06 pm
minionhunter wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:20 am What happened to filthy casuals? I was rewatching AWS 49 and really like this bot. Looks nifty! Will you ever bring him back?
Filthy Casuals as a personal bot is retired but it still somewhat lives on. That geared drive iteration worked well enough it formed the basis for quite a few robots since: Sir Digby, Glitter Cannon Bot, Drill bot... etc.

What was kinda the spiritual successor was done as a commission (on the right):

PM me an email and I'll send you the file for the charger. It'll be sketchup so you'll need to figure out the making it an actual thing from that. The plates are laser cut acrylic.
MarkR wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:29 am Also, at-event charging only really becomes a big problem if you get near to the end of the tournament when the rounds happen much faster (Shakey usually does!). But maybe your events are a lot smaller over there, because the Antweight scene here is now so popular, it's almost a victim of its own success.
Also when power in the pits is an issue the 'charge block' becomes a sort of communal charger. I think last Ant Freeze there were at least 5-6 teams running off of it :P
Thank you Alex!
Ant Ipodean

Post by Ant Ipodean »

A question about the geared drives ...
I'm guessing that the fairly big toothed gears are custom 3D printed?
What are the pros and cons of using these vs the injection moulded production gears from China, with smaller (0.5 modulus) teeth?
Mike.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Ant Ipodean wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:12 pm A question about the geared drives ...
I'm guessing that the fairly big toothed gears are custom 3D printed?
What are the pros and cons of using these vs the injection moulded production gears from China, with smaller (0.5 modulus) teeth?
Mike.
Yes they are custom 3D printed. I don't use injection moulded gears because I can print them and print them directly as part of the wheel. Bigger mods are more tolerant to misalignment and damage.

minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Shakey wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:09 pm Image

ICBINS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjHLbjr8_lE
I apologize if this is an impolite question, please just ignore it if I'm being rude by asking that is not my intention and I apologize.

Does this bot have two batteries? Are they two, 1S batteries to distribute the volume to make the design work where a single 2S would be too big; or two, 2S batteries to get more power like one for the wheels and one for the servo?
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

minionhunter wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:16 pm Does this bot have two batteries? Are they two, 1S batteries to distribute the volume to make the design work where a single 2S would be too big; or two, 2S batteries to get more power like one for the wheels and one for the servo?
Power side it's just a normal 2S battery. I'm using 2 single cells in this bot (in series) as if I used a normal 2S battery it'd have to sit where the ESC does meaning the ESC would have to sit between the two front motors. Which was what got the previous version destroyed! So it's simply about fitting all the components in in sensible locations and providing more 'air' up front for spinners to have to chew through.

minionhunter

Post by minionhunter »

Shakey wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:47 pm
minionhunter wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:16 pm Does this bot have two batteries? Are they two, 1S batteries to distribute the volume to make the design work where a single 2S would be too big; or two, 2S batteries to get more power like one for the wheels and one for the servo?
Power side it's just a normal 2S battery. I'm using 2 single cells in this bot (in series) as if I used a normal 2S battery it'd have to sit where the ESC does meaning the ESC would have to sit between the two front motors. Which was what got the previous version destroyed! So it's simply about fitting all the components in in sensible locations and providing more 'air' up front for spinners to have to chew through.
Thank you Alex! I love your creativity.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Not a fighty robot but a buildy one!

For a long time all my CNC routing needs were done by a basic 3020 which worked 'okay' but really couldn't manage any metals decently, had a small bed size and was slow. I started a long time ago gathering parts for a new one and have finally got around to making it active!

Comes with a side effect of garage tidying:

This'll not only let me make parts better for ants (opening up new materials and just generally being a better machine) but it'll let me produce parts right up to heavyweight level (and for the hacky racers) in house. This'll let me get a bit more mad with the designs as now the cost for parts is simply material. It has a 55x75cm work area which is a big step up from the 20x30 of my previous one.

It is also intended to be used to rebuild a few of my other machines, so getting my laser cutters mechanics up to scratch and improving on my 3d printers (I've been wanting to custom build my own for a while).

So yeah not a fighting robot update but certainly a lot of help to the fighting robots!