Another new member!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

PBx

Another new member!

Post by PBx »

Hi,

Thought I had better say hello. After following the goings on within the hallowed pages of this forum, a hirstute gentleman with a penchant for red kindly left me a collection of bits and pieces this Christmas, including a couple of pololu motors, a Giant cod Tx/Rx, and one of Mr Waller's excellent creations!

So all I've got to do now is arrange all the bits in close proximity to each other, and Roberts your father brother. If I manage it remains to be seen :) but I'm sure you gents will be able to dig me out of whatever hole I manage to put myself in!

Boltons a bit far from pretty much all of the 'goings on' but you never know perhaps I may be able to make it to one of the events sometime.

Paul
Team - Yr Morgrug
The joy is the journey
haz

Post by haz »

hello, what designs do you have in mind?
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Hiya Paul, welcome to the forum :)

As Harry says, what designs did you have in mind in which to arrange your components? I'd be very interested to follow the construction process of this as you appear to have a good understanding of what you're getting yourself in for, so best of British luck with all that and I hope it turns out well...and although Bolton is, as you correctly surmise, not in an area with many events planned (there are usually some in Wigan and/or Preston but they haven't been happening this year) if you meander along the M62 there will be a Roaming Robots event in Barnsley at which ants will be welcome early next year, and in the middle of next year I plan on hosting the 35th Antweight World Series in Pontefract so both of those are probably within your reach?
You can always start your own event if you get fed up of the travelling as well, further down the line - make the mountain come to Mohammed so to speak. (that is an option I might well explore myself over the coming years as I may well be spending three years at Lancaster University :P)

Which precise Pololu motors do you have? (I kind-of sort-of presume they're the 50:1 high power motors, but they could indeed be anything, heh)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
ajrobotics

Post by ajrobotics »

Welcome aboard, Paul. Something tells me you and Joey are going to get on quite well. :lol:

I also live quite far away from the usual events, but I made the effort to get to two this year and really enjoyed it. So hopefully something will pop up for you eventually. :)

Good luck with the build and let us all know how you're getting on.
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

Hi there, welcome to the forum!

Just to say that I was not aware peter had a SC that fitted to the giant cod rx...
PBx

Post by PBx »

Thanks Chaps :)

I am looking to start with a standard flipper while I get a grip. An afternoons worth of playing has got the ESC/Rx, motors, and battery cable tied to a bit of PCB and wizzing round the table, so its a case of so far so good :)

Biggest headache so far has been charging, didn't get the charger I expected, instead I got a 2/3 cell balanced charger, which is fine except I have a Hyperion lipo which doesn't have a balanced charge lead.

Joey: I was hoping to go over to Barnsley, and Pontefract is definately possible. Lancaster is less tha an hour away and I pass it pretty often going to/from the Lakes. The motors are the 50:1 HP.
Team - Yr Morgrug
The joy is the journey
haz

Post by haz »

sounds good so far, any pics?
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Welcome to the forum Paul!
Best tip is to read the rules very carefully, to avoid problems with your fabulous creation failing to fit the size/weight limits or otherwise failing to be allowable.
Good luck with it!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
PBx

Post by PBx »

haz wrote:sounds good so far, any pics?

The cunning plan (a weasel) is to:
1) Get some bits and pieces.
2) Just rough up a temporary base to get a grip of the sizes, weights etc etc as I've never seen an ant in the flesh.
3) Work out the layout of the components for the real ant
4) Produce a sensible base/chasis and enough body to work out the flipper
5) Mess about with some thermoforming to produce something nice ;)

So here are the bits and bobs

This is the testbed base without any weaponry

This has been really useful in terms of learning about driving and stuff and allowing me to visualise what I want to achieve. So now I'm working on the final base layout, but don't hold your breath I don't have a lot of time at the mo, so progress will probably be slow.
Team - Yr Morgrug
The joy is the journey
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

The perfect start, its nice to see a lipo bag in there too. I hope to see you at an event. Any ideas for names?
TEAM GEEK!