New Flippant

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

New Flippant

Post by peterwaller »

I am feeling a bit guilty I had started redesigning flippant and was keeping it all secret and then Andrew starts his topic on Anticide being all helpful and informative.
So I have decided to do one on flippant and just hope the design works out. The two main things I wan't to improve are the power of the flipper and to try and stop the self flipping tendency.
For the power I have returned to an idea I have been thinking about for some time the kinetic flipper. This involves using a brushless spinner motor already running at speed being connected to the flipper mechanism in some way.
So far I have been looking at the design on paper and I think it stands a chance of working. The difference is this time the motor drum and the flipper drum are fixed and I am introducing a rubber covered wheel between them to give the connection which drives the flipper until a cutaway section is reached. Elastic bands then slow the flipper more gradually than a fixed stop hopfully elimnating some of the self flip effects. Below is the drawing so far:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n66/ ... lipkin.jpg
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Peter, you really do have too much time now you're retired! :)
This looks like a very interesting and truly innovative idea.
From a quick look at the sketch it looks very promising to me.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

Looks awesome..... and complex :P
Looking forward to seeing it in action :D
Jack Evans
Captain
Team Terror
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

I'll second that!
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

mmmm, kinetic flipper. I love the idea but i haven't come up with a neat way to get it to work.

This looks like a neat design, what are you going to use to push the rubber wheel into the gap?
TEAM GEEK!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

You noticed the way the actuator arm sort of disappeared and the truth is I haven't quite decided if I need a servo or can get away with a small solenoid / relay. If I get the geometry correct the movement can be small but I am not sure how much pressure will be needed. I have just drawn up the two side plates as is at the moment so I can build up a test bed to do some experimenting.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I have had a look for small solenoids, very hard to find something that could be used. What about a little pager motor? but a tiny 3g servo might work if the gears didn't see the impact.
TEAM GEEK!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I think it will need quite a high contact pressure to transfer the energy efficiently. IMO it's likely to be the toughest challenge.

Not sure a tiny servo will be man enough for the job, maybe some sort of linear actuator? Might be difficult to make in a very tiny package and/or tiny weight limit...

I'm sure you'll crack it eventually Peter, I look forward to seeing the outcome.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I was wondering if I turn the whole thing over so the drive wheel comes in from underneath there maybe a tendency to drag it into the contact like a washing machine ringer for those of you who can remember them.
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

The middle rubber wheel should drag itself in giving more grip. Should it not be as you have it that drawing pete not upside down?
TEAM GEEK!