Help out a novice in need!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bitternboy

Help out a novice in need!

Post by bitternboy »

Hi, My name is Jonathan. I was at the Reading robot club for the first time yesterday ( 06/06/2009) :D with my first robot Anti-depressant which won the best rookie award. It was great and I am now planning the build of another robot. Being new to the trade I am not sure what suppliers of robot parts are reliable and well stocked and am also unsure of what combinations of batteries, wheels, motors, servos, recievers etc. are advisable. Can you recommend an internet supplier and maybe some suggestion of what could go into a well built robot.
Team Terror

Post by Team Terror »

Hi Jonathan, I remember you from yesterday. All the top flight ants these days use Lipo batteries and micro geared motors, combined with speed controllers. Also, most antweight builders run there ants on a more advanced radio system: Spektrum/2.4GHZ. The main downside to using these more advanced components is the cost, as well as the wiring being more complex. If you don't want to move to motors, speed controllers, lipo's and spektrum, I would suggest: using speed modified servos for drive instead of standard modified servos, you could also change your 4.8v NiMH battery for a 6v one. You don't need a spektrum RC system to do well in the competitions, all my ants are running on 40mhz, and one of them (Terrior) reached the quarterfinals of AWS 28 and RRC 18. If you don't want to speed mod the servos, I reccommend the Supertec Parkflyer HPXF for drive, as it is fairly quick with a standard mod, and provides good torque. For a weapon servo I would use the park HPX, park HPXF or the HS82 MG. The best 40mhz reciever at the moment is the HFS-05MS.
Hope this helps,
Jack Evans
Captain
Team Terror
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Hi Jonathan

Give us an idea of budget, then we might have a better idea of what to recommend.

Simon
bitternboy

Thanx

Post by bitternboy »

Thanx Jack! that really helps! i'll experiment a bit and come to rrc in october. I would like to spend under 100 pounds but otherwise as cheap as possible. :D
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

Also try looking through old posts, there are alot of information about all these questions that have already been answered.
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

For under ?100 I suggest you stick with Jack's suggestions about modified servos, 40HMz R/C and NiMh batteries rather than going to motors (and speed controllers) 2.4GHz R/C and LiPo batteries, all of which are (probably) better but at least twice the cost.

Simon
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

or alternatively you could use the boards from standard servos as speed controllers :)
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Would it be okay if I attached a 7.4v battery up to 2 Supertec Park Flyer HPX F drive servos and a Park HPX weapon Servo or woul d it start smokin. :-?
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

The HPXF's will take 7.4v but not on full power for a sustained period, IE: over 5 minutes of use.

You will need to have a way of powering the receiver with less power, as pretty much every receiver will cook on 7.4v
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Also, if you're using LiPos, remember that although the nominal voltage is 7.4v, they actually give 8.4v when they're fully charged. Consider building one of these.

Simon