Search found 1137 matches

by joey_picus
Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:46 am
Forum: Events
Topic: Antweight open 12th November 2016
Replies: 71
Views: 23056

Re: AWS/Antweight open 12th November 2016

I think a couple of other people did? I'd kind of prefer it to be a more fun event, as in my head the AWS should move around a little and not be held in the same place twice in a row, but I'll turn up either way hopefully :) it should be good no matter what the event is!
by joey_picus
Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:22 pm
Forum: Antweights
Topic: Antweight first build diary
Replies: 28
Views: 9121

Re: Antweight first build diary

Epoxy can work but you'll probably want something on top of the polycarbonate to stop the chassis getting too damaged, obviously it'll be harder to repair onsite! I'd advise against aluminium from personal experience as it takes damage quite badly; titanium or thin steel is the way to go with metal.
by joey_picus
Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:19 pm
Forum: Antweights
Topic: Sort of Newbie...
Replies: 8
Views: 2986

Re: Sort of Newbie...

Servos are still an option for drive but the speed and maneuvrability of current robots generally favours gearmotors; I'd have a look at videos of recent competitions on Youtube and make a decision based on that. People who use servos seem to favour the SG/MG90 as it's quite easy to speed modify and...
by joey_picus
Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:36 am
Forum: Events
Topic: Question re: running an event
Replies: 5
Views: 2264

Re: The "Robot Wars" Effect

Personally I'd go to Devon for an AWS, but it would be at the very least an overnight stay :)
by joey_picus
Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:11 am
Forum: Questions (and answers)
Topic: Beginning electronics kit / Arduino kits, etc?
Replies: 12
Views: 3755

Re: Beginning electronics kit / Arduino kits, etc?

You can get 10A brushed ESC's from China for R/C cars (you want the ones without a brake function)... I dunno about 10A, but I do have a couple of these on order (Banggood being absolutely the name of a place you want to buy delicate power electronics from!) that look quite promising; I'll do somet...
by joey_picus
Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:25 pm
Forum: Questions (and answers)
Topic: Beginning electronics kit / Arduino kits, etc?
Replies: 12
Views: 3755

Re: Beginning electronics kit / Arduino kits, etc?

Antweights tend not to be that intensive as far as electronics go; 90% of it tends to be 'wire board to other board' and the other 10% only comes into play if you need to fix something!
by joey_picus
Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:16 am
Forum: Events
Topic: Regional and Nationals
Replies: 6
Views: 2176

Re: Regional and Nationals

Regional events would be nice as a complement to the existing system, I agree that we should never lose the openness of any antweight event. I miss the Reading Robot Club though, and the Brighton University events and everywhere else I used to get up at 4am to travel to :( For me the problem has nev...
by joey_picus
Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:08 am
Forum: Antweights
Topic: The "Robot Wars" Effect
Replies: 24
Views: 6607

Re: The "Robot Wars" Effect

I fully expect Roryboard Enterprises to sponsor an AWS at your private castle in Taunton before the year is out at that rate of growth :D It's extremely heartening to see the level of interest though - I thought that maybe RW coming back would cause us to lose people to heavyweights if anything, but...
by joey_picus
Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:02 pm
Forum: Antweights
Topic: Bot Building Questions!
Replies: 35
Views: 9724

Re: Bot Building Questions!

I'd echo Alex, although servos are a tad more user-friendly for attaching arms to - I think your best bet re: Y-leads would be to splice one together yourself as commercial ones tend to be quite bulky.
by joey_picus
Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:59 pm
Forum: Antweights
Topic: Meet Killer-Wolf
Replies: 25
Views: 7796

Re: Meet Killer-Wolf

I can see them :)

That very charger is used by a few people I think, it has the standard four-button interface used by 90% of chargers so should be good. Having a built-in power supply is good too as then you don't need to carry a brick with you!