Team BLEEP build diary

All things antweight

Moderators: petec, administrator, BeligerAnt

User avatar
voorsk
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:11 am
Location: Stockport, UK
Contact:

Re: Team BLEEP build diary

Post by voorsk » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:40 am

aah.. all ideas and no build..

last night I was pondering Deadlock, and the way it looks like it rotates when it lifts (well, I thought it did), when I had an idea.

A tin can!

Imagine, if you will, a tin can (or plastic pot or summat) with the top and bottom removed, and a quarter of the circumference cut out. Now imagine it mounted on its side in a 2wd bot, so that the open section faces forward, and driven by a motor. There'd be a small wedge at the front, as a feeder.

Something less blurry and vague than..
Image

The idea would be to ram into bots so they end up at least partially inside the can, then the motor would rotate the can and hopefully pick the other bot up and into it (probably not completely, alas). With a few attachments, the can should also work as a self-righter, I think.

Chances of it working (I suspect my sense of scale is wrong) or driving properly are pretty much zero, but I feel like it's worth a try. :)

Name-wise.. maybe just 'Avocado', or 'Cress?' (a very cut-down Bottom quote) :P

edit: I just worked it out with proper measurements and stuff, and it's looking a little dubious. As suspected, my imagination and reality are not in agreement. :P The can has to be quite small to fit inside a 4" cube (pretty much the same diameter as a drink can), and the opening would be too small to do anything much. Cutting it in half might work, tho. Still lots of options to try out! :D
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon

Decode
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:43 am

Re: Team BLEEP build diary

Post by Decode » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Oh man, I came on here to look for some newbie builds and feel good about my box-on-wheels, but your bots are really good!! :D

I love your updates and your bot designs! So many ideas I hope you get round to showing us!

Does nobody on here make rubbish bots that fall apart.....? haha.

User avatar
voorsk
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:11 am
Location: Stockport, UK
Contact:

Re: Team BLEEP build diary

Post by voorsk » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:46 pm

aw, fanx! glad you like em. :D

mine are pretty rubbish, tbh. my pushbot can't push, and my lifter can't really lift, and i expect my hammerbot won't be able to hammer, and my launcher will probably launch itself.. it's all good fun, tho!

a box on wheels sounds like a good place to start. i made life a bit difficult for myself, really. :P
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon

User avatar
voorsk
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:11 am
Location: Stockport, UK
Contact:

Re: Team BLEEP build diary

Post by voorsk » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:05 am

Another minor update..

Suspicious Houmous is not dead! I was gonna sideline it in favour of different bots, as I'd been having issues with it, but in the back of my head it feels wrong to ignore it. I mean.. it can do backflips across the arena! None of my other bot ideas can do that.

There's one fix I can make that solves quite a few problems. I'm kind've ashamed that I didn't spot it earlier - it needs wheels at both ends, mainly so that it'll have drive no matter where the spikes are. It should also make it a bit more controllable, although it won't stop me reversing into the pit. :P

I can't decide between tracks or wheels.. I'm planning it on paper while I'm in work, but drawing two wheels with a lifter between them just makes it look like i'm doodling crude pictures all over my notepad. :o

edit: I'm going for a mixture! 4 wheels, linked with bands within the diameter of the wheels (if that makes sense). I can't really link them with gears due to the lifter getting in the way.
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon

User avatar
voorsk
Posts: 107
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:11 am
Location: Stockport, UK
Contact:

Re: Team BLEEP build diary

Post by voorsk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:54 pm

I finally tried using Sketchup in anger, and this is the result:
Image

Not bad for a first attempt, I reckon. :)
The idea is to use the printed stuff to fix everything in place, and use polycarb for the top, bottom, and probably sides. I'm gonna try printing it out tomorrow, and then I can see if anything fits, and then make a more detailed model if it all fits in. :D

edit: Ha! As suspected, it didn't work out. I'd have gotten away with it, if it hadn't been for that pesky Vex29.. And the double-size axles (seems pressing '3' while making a circle creates a diameter of 6).. And the ruddy stupid way the wires come out of the LiPo.. The usual stuff. :P
Back to the drawing board!
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon

Post Reply