The smart ant's and flea's

All things antweight

Moderators: petec, administrator, BeligerAnt

Team RobotMad

Re: The smart ant's and flea's

Post by Team RobotMad » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:12 pm

(this account is the same person, i forgot my login to the old account and don't have access to its recovery email address anymore. so i made a new account)

finally committing to getting to AWS 57 so i guess i need to make some progress towards a working team.

SmartAnt 5 V2.1 was completed a while ago and will be ready for aws with a little fine tuning.
SA8, maybe renamed RUDI, Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly Imminent, has now got a working prototype, but with only a 3d printed plastic beater bar it would not do very well in a fight. so we shall experiment with different metal inserts or bolts and if that is still not good enough then we will CNC mill a block of 7000 series aluminium into a solid mental spinning bar.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kKAv1Q6XRuAc8cAA8

here are 2 testing videos mostly at 1/2 power with a few seconds of full speed to test out the 'Death Humm'
one of the videos was filmed though a mostly clear but slightly cloudy plastic box for safety.
Lincoln Barnes
Maker of "SmartAnts", and autonomous Rover project, "Geoff".

Team RobotMad

Post by Team RobotMad » Wed May 29, 2019 11:46 am

With only a week and a bit between the end of exams and AWS, i won't have time to complete the spinner. (this is probably about the 10th time i've had to put off completing it over the last few years)
this means my 10 degree angle wedge flipper (this needs a better name as currently its SA9 which makes no sense as SA8 doesn't exist yet) will probably be the robot being built in that week, adding to the team of SA4 and SA5, 4th entry yet to be decided possibly a quick reprint of SA7 as its currently very damaged but still technically functioning.

After this AWS i will be spending my time developing an autonomous drone and then in September ill be going off to uni and i don't know if i will continue to build antwights or not. i have plenty of ideas for new robots but budget, access to facilities, time, and other projects may mean continuing antwights not possible.
Lincoln Barnes

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller » Thu May 30, 2019 7:22 am

That would be a shame but your education comes first and you can always return to robots after if you are still interested.
You never know your uni might have a robotics club.

Team RobotMad

Post by Team RobotMad » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:56 pm

new plan for the next AWS
SA4 with new hopefully more grippy wheels
SA5 v2.1 the slightly improved version of SA5 v2 which was an improved SA5
possibly SA7 v2 a reprinted SA7 with a better flipper shape, i say possibly because the other robots will be prioritised over building this one.
i previously said i would make SA9 (SA8 is the spinner that is still being prototyped) which will be a 10 degree angle wedge roller, but using having a team of 3 rollers is too boring.
so meet UnorthodoX
a wide flipper walker, with a insane servo weighing just under 70g that's twice as fast as the one i normally use and over twice the torque.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/N35Zw1ZwyJy6hwQ96
here's a couple of pictures.
Lincoln Barnes