Thetopcat's build log

All things small and scratchy.

Moderators: petec, administrator, BeligerAnt

thetopcat84

Thetopcat's build log

Post by thetopcat84 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:00 pm

Thought it best to start my own thread for this, but planning on putting together a couple of fleaweights to find my feet in combat robots...

So after getting the final bits through today, I threw a few things together and got something working!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QodoAZwgLtg

In case you're wondering, the thing that flies off was the unsecured battery...

haz

Re: Thetopcat's build log

Post by haz » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:12 pm

melty brain or just turning?
i'm guessing just turning :P
nice work so far

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:09 am

Congratulations! You have made it to the best stage of robot combat - having something that works for the first time! :D

And its looking like it could end up as something pretty cool too. Is it built to go in the 3" cube? Are you planning on attending the FWS/AWS? Looking forward to seeing it in an arena soon!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39

thetopcat84

Post by thetopcat84 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:57 pm

Thanks guys!

Haz: I've got it setup on a single analogue stick with each axis controlling a wheel (so to go straight forward, you push up and left)... it doesn't really like going in a straight line, but it does like to spin!

Dave26: it's far from competitive, this was more a sort of proof of concept for me, throwing together a drive system and taping it to a piece of plastic. From humble beginnings and all that!

Think the next step is to assemble something like a flipper fleaweight, but the longer-term goal would definitely be to rub shoulders with you guys at a F/AWS! :)

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:34 pm

All I do with all my robots is tape components to a chasis and I'm very competitive! lol
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39

thetopcat84

Post by thetopcat84 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:23 am

Haha, well then maybe I should take a leap! Any particular tape that's spinner-proof?

I've linked in a servo on the throttle stick for a flipper now, so the internals are all there (though a switch and charge link would be nice). Just need to assemble a chassis and body.

Question: using towerpro sg90s, is it normal to be almost constantly adjusting the trim? Might be the transmitter (e-flite MLP4DSM). It's just a minor irritation.

haz

Post by haz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:32 am

try re gluing the pots?

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:33 pm

Standard duct tape used properly is very spinner proof. I've had many compliments of how mine hold up. Normal cellotape is a bit weak nowadays though. See Zenith vs 747 on YouTube for proof of that. Lol
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39

thetopcat84

Post by thetopcat84 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:27 pm

Gotta love duct tape... Ever see the Mythbusters episodes? They made a boat out of duct tape!

Anyway, today I have mostly been cutting down on wiring:

Need to order up some 1 & 2mm hdpe and a switch next...

haz

Post by haz » Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:52 pm

why on earth have you removed the gearbox??

thetopcat84

Post by thetopcat84 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:30 pm

3 reasons:

-1 stripped its gears
-The other had a superglue mishap in my first attempt at speed hacking
-I'm too tight fisted to throw something away that can still be used to botch something together

Actually works out ok, it still drives fine and is now narrower, so I don't mind tbh...

haz

Post by haz » Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:56 am

with no pushing power :P

thetopcat84

Post by thetopcat84 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:37 am

Well, I got it all assembled on a chassis, but as you rightly pointed out, haz, it was rather lacking in drive... Will try a new over the weekend and see what I can come up with...

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:01 pm

If your engineering is up to it, you can always mount the largest gear of the servo to the wheel and mesh it directly to the one of the motor. This'll give a single stage transmission with less parts to go wrong in terms of stripped gears. Or you could try and find some more sturdy gears to use.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39

thetopcat84

Post by thetopcat84 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:15 am

Well, this feels like threadro-mancy, but it is my build log after all! After such a long time, I have finally found myself with enough time and pocket-money from the missus to dedicate some time to this again!

Having dusted off all the stuff I'd kept from years ago, I've been through the inventory and fixed a lot of stuff, botched together a drive system again (this time with gear box intact) and found myself wanting more... the drive system is a bit unreliable to say the least, the speed hacked servos tend to give out quite easily with super glue coming unstuck or teeth going missing...

With that in mind, I'm going to put an order in for some new bits and pieces, but before doing so was hoping to pick some brains...

1) for keeping things cheap and cheerful for the time being, I assume I can recover the ESCs from the tower-pro SG90s and re-use them, but bypass the old potentiometer by simply wiring up the gap on board? Or would a couple of resistors be needed to keep it functioning?

2) Channel mixers, would I be right in thinking that a channel mixer would help me off tank steering and onto single stick steering? Leaving the other stick free for a weapon (eventually, walk before you can run, TC)

3) Is it absolutely necessary to stick capacitors onto geared brushed motors? From what I've read, apparently things can get sparky?

Assuming my ideas aren't too far from the mark, my plan is to build some entry-level bots (a wedge, a pusher and a flipper) in fairly quick succession to get me started, and beginning with the wedge, I'm thinking of a couple of cheapy geared motors (possibly some of ebays finest) on a couple of salvaged ESCs from the botched servos above and ideally shifted from tank-style to single stick to get into good driving habits longer-term.

I'm now going to read through a lot of stuff on here to see all the latest and greatest work you guys have been up to!