Antweight World Series 58 - 29th June 2019

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Jonathan J

Re: Antweight World Series 58 - 29th June 2019

Post by Jonathan J »

It’s okay man just wondering because I don’t want to bounce myself out the arena with the spinner.
Jonathan Jackson
Team Unstable
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

There is video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYe_PA5pmVA

The arena has partial drop-offs on two sides, but not corners. Some parts have higher walls than others.

This is a very good design in my opinion, it allows pushing out of the arena but does not make it too easy; it allows powerful flippers /spinners to throw robots over the fence but not without a big hit.

As far as I can remember, pneumatic flipper Anticide got someone over the high fence :)
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Jonathan J

Post by Jonathan J »

Cheers.
Jonathan Jackson
Team Unstable
Jonathan J

Post by Jonathan J »

Definitely coming with vortex and should hopefully be bringing a 2nd robot but il have to see about that but it should be great event cant wait :D
Jonathan Jackson
Team Unstable
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

A query on fitting in the box - can I bend flexible outriggers to fit in? Because Jiggy fits if he goes in sideways and the tail bends upwards as he slides into the box. Otherwise the tail sticks out a fair bit.

Ignoring my poorly constructed box. I am confident it fits within 4 inches if the tail is allowed to bend
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

You can have parts of the robot unfold in the arena but it has to be done by remote control.
You can't just bend bits in that are held there by the cube, the robot must enter the arena in the state but not necessarily orientation that the fit in the cube.
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I suspected that was the case. I can shorten the tail, but it'll pop wheeleys. Damn. I can't really change anything else. Hmmm...
May be time to start designing a version 2.
Or I look into restraining methods that will hold the tail bent until I begin driving. Does it matter if a bit of the robot is literally designed to fall off the moment the wheels start turning?
Last edited by LimaHotel on Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

Does it matter if a bit of the robot is literally designed to fall off the moment the wheels start turning?
I'm pretty confident this would be fine, but I'm not 100% certain. Sounds like one of those "check with the EO first" things. One thing you could try is have the robot start sitting on the tail & use the movement of the drive/weapons to somehow make it roll onto the wheels. My flipper Please Shut Up starts sitting on it's acetate & that has been OK so far.
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

could you not have the tail shorter, mounted lower... to fit in the gap between the bend at the bottom of your polycarb and extend up towards where the wall would sit?
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Getting excited for this now we're into June. Haven't been on here much or able to do any new bots or anything due to moving house and other hectic things these past few months but both my existing ants *should* be good to go. There is a lot of bodge job repair work involved and I'm running rather low on parts but they should make it into the box at least.

Mostly I'm looking forward to seeing all you folks and your awesome bots again though. Bring it on!
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot