Small ESCs outside the UK

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: Small ESCs outside the UK

Post by Shakey »

Just to clarify a bit:

When it comes to RC ESC's there are 2 kinds of brake talked about.

One is the motor brake (sometimes called drag brake) like GeorgeR says and is a very desirable feature in fighting robots, I dislike driving robots without it. It just makes it so much more controllable. This kind of brake means the motor is always trying to stop rather than coast and keep going. This is implemented in the way the ESC powers the motor.

Outside the world of combat robots a lot of RC stuff considers the other kind of brake. Which is what Lima is talking about where going from forwards to reverse on the stick is actually a stop command rather than reverse. You have to re-centre and then put the stick in reverse again to go backwards (as a side note I drove a feather with this for a long while, it was horrible :P ).

I did put up a short guide on achieving braking with a das mikro a while back here: http://robotwars101.org/forum/viewtopic ... 504#p57290
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
phlextro

Post by phlextro »

Shakey wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:40 pm This is implemented in the way the ESC powers the motor.
Thanks for clarifying! Thats along the lines of what i thought i knew about Power Electronics. :)

Seems my best bet are the servo-boards, which should be fine, and while i wait for them, the ol' sabertooth will have to do!
EDIT: The endbots one though... thanks for the tip! :D

I guess shipping outside of the UK isnt getting any easier either with brexit and all?
"Dad, where's all the robotstuff from back in the days?"

Electrical enginering student from Sweden
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I mean brexit has been delayed until October and if the last few years are anything to go by, I doubt anything's gonna happen then either.
Regarding the servo boards - there's been an update on them. If you look in the antweights sub forum, there's an ongoing discussion about them. Apparently they don't have a true dead zone (still giving 0.3a which is enough to turn an unloaded n20), and don't give full power to the n20s regardless of trim etc. So they might not be too good of a choice.
Still looking forwards to getting mine. I'll find something to use them on!
Another option I know people take is the arduino route, though I've never done that. I believe it's fairly space consuming? So possibly not what you're after.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

A query on acquiring the 50ohm resistors for implementing braking on a non-braking esc like the DasMikro btw: uuuh yeah. That. Where do you guys get your resistors?
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!