Malenki-ESC open source Antweight ESC

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MarkR

Malenki-ESC open source Antweight ESC

Post by MarkR »

Hi,

I've designed an open-source hardware Antweight ESC.

It is still under development, but I now have my first actual board made. It doesn't work yet because the firmware isn't finished.

* Three channels of DC motor drive (maximum current TBC, but should be at least 2A)
* Takes PPM/CPPM/ i-bus (and maybe S-bus) single wire signal from a RX (like drone controllers do)
* Open source hardware; open source firmware.
* Almost as small as a Dasmikro (about 24x26 mm)

I will post more information later. In the mean time,

Source code is here: https://github.com/MarkR42/malenki-esc

Schematic: http://vectrex.org.uk/mark/esc-marketin ... ematic.pdf

PS: apologies for installing R2 upside-down, all the electrons will fall out :) - I will do it the right way next time.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
MySolderIsOlder

Re: Malenki-ESC open source Antweight ESC

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

This is VERY exciting (or should I say 'ochen volnuyushche') news, Mark! Support for cPPM would make life so much easier, especially if/when HK ever get the OrangeRx R614XN back in stock. Best of luck finishing it off.
Stuart (Tony's dad)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Now THAT looks exciting! :D
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Now I have a strange issue.

I've got the ESC working and decoding PPM signals. They seem to work ok, my receivers will stop sending pulses when they lose signal, and after a short time then we turn the motors off (as you'd expect) to implement failsafe.

I'm now working on supporting serial protocols such as Flysky/Turnigy i-bus.

But using the Flysky I-bus protocol, the Turnigy iA6C (this one) continues sending pulses (with the sticks in their last known position) even after the transmitter is turned off.

This would be really inconvenient and violate the rules, because we can't implement failsafe, a spinning robot could keep spinning until its battery ran out.

I've got another receiver which is the Turnigy FS-A8S which doesn't exhibit this problem.

I'm guessing that the "smarter" telemetry rx is trying to be clever, or waiting for telemetry from the drone it's in (good luck) before it stops sending packets.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

menu, rx setup, failsafe... play with these settings... may help with your issue...

works only for the afhds 2a as the regular afhds seems to do it automatically if signal is lost
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Update:

What works/ is done:

* The motor drivers work. I've tested it with a spare N20 and it can drive it with no problem at variable speed in both directions.
* Tank-mixing
* The receiver can automatically decode PPM signals or ibus (Turnigy)
* I wrote some end-user documentation

What is still TODO:

* Decoding S-Bus signals (S-bus uses a different serial speed, inverted signals and requires some bit-twiddling)
* Make a better programming / testing system - because right now I have wires soldered on to surface mount pads
* Build a test robot!
* Fully document the hardware (BOM, assembly instructions, PCB manufacture notes)

I have made some very minor revisions to the PCB for the next batch to allow easier assembly and update the silk-screen.

If anyone is interested, the hardware design and firmware, etc, is all here: https://github.com/MarkR42/malenki-esc
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Another update:

* Firmware is mostly working, it reads PPM, ibus or S-Bus and will autodetect (there is only one rx pin)

I intend to build a robot with it shortly to see if it will actually bot :)

Here is a size comparison, left to right: £1, DasMikro2S6A (2-channel), Malenki-ESC (3-channel), €1

Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

This looks awesome, however I’m a little confused. Does this only work through a single signal wire?

All 3 Signal wires are through 1 wire??
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Yes, there is only one signal wire.

Drones commonly use this, the signal wire speaks one of several commonly used protocols, either CPPM (which is several PWM signals multiplexed in time) or one of the serial bus protocols S-Bus or i-bus.

It allows more channels with fewer wires. I can incorporate more than three channels, for example, channel 5 I used as an invert switch in case the robot is upside down.
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

So how does that work with regards to wiring it into a receiver?
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!