Antweight World Series 58 - 29th June 2019

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

cmalton

Antweight World Series 58 - 29th June 2019

Post by cmalton »

This basically hasn't changed from last year apart from a handful of details.

Date: 29th June 2019
Timings: Doors from 08:30, Battles to start 09:30 (ish), Aiming to finish by 17:00.
Venue: Dunchurch Village Hall, CV22 6PN
Organiser: ARC Robotics - Chris Malton
Sign-ups open: http://antlog.garya.org.uk/event/18
Sign-ups close: Wednesday 26th June 2019
Arena: ARC Antweight Arena (We will be making some changes from last year to remove the lip in the middle of the floor).

I would greatly appreciate all teams making a donation towards the running costs of this event. A suggested donation is £5 - alternatively buy an AWESC through the ARC Robotics website and all the profits go directly back into combat robotics.

If you are possibly coming (but aren't 100% sure), I'd far prefer you signed up then dropped out than turned up unannounced. For insurance and fire safety reasons, I need to be able to work out roughly how many people I am going to have on venue at any point in time.

Venue map:

General directions

From the North West (Manchester, Birmingham, Liverpool)
  • Take the M6 Eastbound towards the A14
  • Exit at Junction 2 onto the A46, signposted Coventry (E)
  • Take the exit for Coventry Airport, Baginton, Ryton, Business Parks, Retail Park
  • Take the first exit at the roundabout onto the A45 (East), signposted Ryton, M45, M1 South, Rugby
  • At the first roundabout take the second exit to stay on A45
  • At the second roundabout take the second exit to stay on A45
  • At the third roundabout take the first exit, signposted Dunchurch, B4429, Non-motorway traffic
  • At Dunchurch Cross Roads ("The Dun Cow" pub on your left), turn Left onto A426.
  • Dunchurch Village Hall is approximately 0.3 miles up the road on your right hand side
From the North East (Leeds, Newcastle, York, Sheffield)
  • Take the M1 Southbound
  • Exit at Junction 20 onto the A4303, signposted Lutterworth, Rugby
  • Take third exit at the roundabout onto the A4303
  • Take the first exit at the roundabout onto the A426 Rugby Road, signposted Rugby
  • Continue on A426, passing through the center of Rugby
  • You will pass a large Sainsbury's on your left hand side
  • At the roundabout after the Sainsbury's take the second exit, signposted Southam, Banbury, Dunchurch
  • Dunchurch Village Hall is approximately 0.6 miles along the road on your left hand side
From the South (London, Portsmouth, Reading)
  • Take the M1 Northbound
  • Exit at Junction 17 onto the M45, signposted Lutterworth, Rugby
  • At the first roundabout, take second exit at the roundabout onto the B4429
  • At Dunchurch Cross Roads ("The Dun Cow" pub on your left), turn Left onto A426.
  • Dunchurch Village Hall is approximately 0.3 miles up the road on your right hand side
By public transport
  • The nearest railway station is Rugby (served by Virgin Trains West Coast and West Midlands Trains (formerly London Midland).
  • There is a bus stop just outside the venue served by the 63 and 64 buses (operated by Stagecoach Midlands).
  • The nearest airport is Birmingham International Airport. There are direct rail services from Birmingham International to Rugby.
Last edited by cmalton on Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cmalton

Re: Antweight World Series 58 - 29th June 2019

Post by cmalton »

Key points
  • Please arrive promptly! We have a lot of battles to get through and I will make sure that somebody is on front desk from 8:30AM to take registrations. As soon as I can get a second person on the front desk I will, and if there's space and cubes to do it I'll get a third on it.
  • We will, once again, be displaying details of Now/Next/Next+1/Next+2 battles on at least two screens across the room (aiming for 3). Please keep a close eye on them so you know when you're up next and be ready to do battle promptly.
  • There will be no official lunch break. We expect there to be sufficient time between battles for teams to have lunch. My crew will take a break where they can for lunch. If we are sufficiently ahead, we may introduce a lunch break.
  • There will be no time for Fleas and Nanos - sorry.
  • Standard antweight rules apply as per the published rules (I believe v4.2 is current).
  • All robots must pass a tech-check - you will be asked to demonstrate correct operation of all failsafe devices to myself or one of the other members of my team.
  • Sharp edge protection - I only care about this on edges you / someone else might accidentally cut yourself on. If it's a solid lump with a fairly blunt edge (most discs thicker than 1.5mm or so etc) not massively worried about it - please use common sense and if you're not sure, please err on the side of caution.
  • All Lipo charging *really* needs to happen in Lipo bags. If you don't have one I will have few spare.
  • Registration & tech check is mandatory on the day.
  • There is plenty of parking - but please park considerately!
  • Power tools - Avoid mains powered if you can. Battery powered is fine (although please don't drill into the tables!).
  • Chargers, etc - No Heath-Robinson contraption style chargers please. For insurance reasons I cannot allow crazy arrangements with ATX power supplies in cardboard boxes (sorry!). I will, however, have two of my quad chargers (bring your own banana plug to whatever leads) on hand if needed.
  • Other electrical equipment may be subjected to checks by myself, or any one of the team working with me.
  • My AWS wifi will be in play primarily for competition management (and nothing else - please don't start sucking down your Windows Updates over it - I will kick you off it!).
  • Your nearest food vending place is the Sainsbury's ~5 minutes up the road by car. It is not advised to walk it. I would strongly encourage bringing food with you.
If you have a problem with any of the above, please feel free to message me and I will happily explain further or discuss the issue with you. On the day, I'd ask that you bring any issues to my attention as soon as possible so we can fix them.

For those of you still building, good luck - and I'll see you at the weekend!
Last edited by cmalton on Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

Great to hear, it was the last event you hosted that got me into antweights & will definitely attend this one.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Great - it was super last time.

For anyone who wants to come by train- bring your bicycle - there is a really nice cycle path from Rugby station to the venue, I cycled there last year and it was very nice indeed.

Looking forward to it.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Nice one 👍
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

Nothing in my diary, so count me in unless the wifey says otherwise. :D
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Well, I guess it's about time we let some of our ants experience the horrors of real combat...
I'll enter separate teams for me and the boy (otherwise I'd never get a drive) but we'll try to keep it to 2-3 bots each.

Had hoped for something more local but can't hold out any longer. Earliest train from Tunbridge Wells wouldn't get into Rugby until 09:40, which would I fear be too late for the start - but if I can't persuade the other half to get up obscenely early on a Saturday to drive us then we'll just have to make an expedition of it and overnight in some local hostelry. :D

Stop press: Looks like it's the Green Man or the Dun Cow for us!
Stuart (Tony's dad)
Zanbots

Post by Zanbots »

MarkR wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:18 am Great - it was super last time.

For anyone who wants to come by train- bring your bicycle - there is a really nice cycle path from Rugby station to the venue, I cycled there last year and it was very nice indeed.

Looking forward to it.
I just might consider joining you this year. Providing I can pack all the antweights on my bicycle.
Jeremy Hall
Ants; 24601
Oh, Baby!
B-Bot
Valjean
TeamScrewUp

Post by TeamScrewUp »

Aws55 was incredible. So i really don't see why i should miss this
Daaa
Manta ray (2WD wedge bot)
Nom (Grabber)
Arena Sweeper (Undercutter)
FORCE WALL (Front-hinged Flipper)
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

I would really like to get back in to robots so I will hopefully be coming to this one.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)