a quote

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Kyro

a quote

Post by Kyro »

so, im looking for someone with a 3d printer who can make me some wheels...

i would want them light and strong.

i have a wheel i would like coppied size wise, but spoke format and weight saving holes would be down to whatever works best for them.
the lighter the better...
needs to fit the 3mm d shaft standard for n20's.

i would imagine it easiest for me to post the wheel in question to you so you would have an original there as i doubt i could be trusted with just sending measurements... i would want 10 printed in maybe ABS or something equally strong.

here is a pic of the hubs for a size guage

https://gyazo.com/df4ee782ee7f57b273e04933f20f23e4

so... whos up for it and how much would your time and materials cost me? feel free to pm if you dont want to discuss prices publicly.

thanks in advance

Luke
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
MarkR

Re: a quote

Post by MarkR »

Hi,

I have done quite a lot of experiments with 3d printed wheels.

If you use 3d printed PLA (standard 3d printer material), then one good hit from a spinner is likely to totally shatter the wheel, it's quite brittle. ABS or other material (nylon?) might fair a bit better.

I printed mine in flexible (TPU) filament which is close to indestructible but restricts the design a fair bit (because it's squidgy).

Materials cost is fairly negligible for 4x wheels (or even more) because they typically are in the 3-4 gram range of weight. (per wheel) - lighter ones are possible too. (My wheels are ~ 30mm diameter)

I use N20 motors with a pre-cut slot in the shaft which helps the tpu wheels to stay attached (really, they don't come off easily), I modelled a narrower section in the D-section cutout which helps the flexible filament to grab on.

Please design your wheel in a cad package (sketchup, fusion360, openscad, whatever).

I can probably do it for £6 donation to Reading Hackspace (depending on postage costs and number of wheels) - I'd recommend getting at least a couple of spares.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

I have some designs already set up, all I have to do is alter 3 dimensions. I only print in PLA though I’m afraid. As long as they don’t get hit by a spinner they work great 😅.I will PM you later tonight.

With these wheel you have to make your own silicone tyres. I can either show you how to do it. Or make it for you.

Paul
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

thanks guys.

honestly i have never used any form of cad software so its unlikely id be able to successfully replicate these wheels. hence why i said i would send a wheel.

i know PLA has a habbit of turning to dust after a hit... my wheels would be protected but i would still like something that would hold up as i know spinners have a habbit of getting into sensitive areas easily.
i have tyres already from the wheels i want copied and modified to suit n20 shafts...

as I mentioned, id want 10 printed and am happy to cover postage costs on top of labour charges... if its easier, and your going to ant freeze, i could give you a wheel there to take back with you... after they are done i would paypal the cost over along with postage then when its received you could post them... just to be sure im not pulling a fast one seeing as I'm new here and you dont know me from adam...

also happy to donate to anything if prefered, but for the time and effort put in i would prefer the maker to also receive something more than just a thank you...

also, the colour of the wheels won't matter at all so if you have some filament you figure you'd rarely use (turd brown... bile yellow...) then feel free to use that

thanks again

Luke
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)