Thats looking really good.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Paulmchurd

Re: "Flip-it” new build/project

Post by Paulmchurd »

Thanks spaceman!

“Finished” another robot today. However it has a 3D printed weapon. Going to have to buy a bar of aluminium.

Introducing Stolen Concept weighing in at 132g.

Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Made myself a Transmitter. Printing lid and adding in a switch still need to be done.

I am powering it using a 1s lipo (18650 rescued from a broken laptop) and boosting it up to 5v.

I have now built all the components for a DIY robot. When I get some spare time around Christmas I am going to write a guide on building an antweight robot for less the £20(even without a 3D printer).

MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Cool, how've you done that?

I see some kind of Arduino-type board, what protocol does the radio run on?

Does it use a RC protocol? Or bluetooth? Wifi? Something else?

Mark
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

MarkR wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:17 pm Cool, how've you done that?

I see some kind of Arduino-type board, what protocol does the radio run on?

Does it use a RC protocol? Or bluetooth? Wifi? Something else?

Mark
It uses RC protocol, you have to set the frequency up to match the modules. Here is a guide on how to use the modules. I just adapted it suit my needs and added mixing into the code.

https://dronebotworkshop.com/nrf24l01-w ... -joystick/
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

It looks like the RadioHead library has its own set of protocols which are not necessarily compatible with anything else. I don't see any mention of standard RC protocols in there (e.g. the dsm2 and dsmx or flysky protocols?)

But that's ok if it works for you.

I'm looking at how to build a receiver / control board using a nrf52832 module, it seems that it's possible to run RadioHead on there, so that's an option (and use your transmitter). The module also supports Bluetooth LE (aka Bluetooth 4) which seems like it's something of a headfuck; Betsie currently uses "Bluetooth Classic" with a PS3 controller.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Ah ok, I just presumed the Nrf24l01 was the same as an RC protocol just didn’t link to any of the well known brands.

The Radiohead library works on quiet a few modules. I just chose the NRF24l01 as you could get one with a amplifier and one that was small enough to fit in an Antweight. Plus there are lots of guides on how to use it.

I can email you my code and list of modules used if you want to see how I’ve got it working.
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Lastest batch of student built robots, mainly year 7s. Notice D3 in the middle...his passion for building is amazing. Hopefully in 2 years we can build a school heavyweight.

Imagel
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

Building a new arena for school. With the potential to add in a polycarbonate shell afterwards. That can either be clipped on to use spinners or removed completely to use non destructive robots. Working towards hosting a AWS next year at the school. :)

I bought a 6mm MDF board for £14 and 2x CLS wood for £2.5 each. Super cheap to build the base...the expensive bit will be building the polycarbonate protective outing I think...