Team 1202 Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Spaceman

Re: Team 1202 Build Diary

Post by Spaceman »

So a ramble post full of promises and ambition...

So my plan for Ant freeze / AWS 57 is weapons. Of all the ants I have made, only one had a weapon which lasted about 3 seconds thanks to a horizontal spinner.

So I plan at this point to have 4 bots for those events.

Crabulon: Current plans for Crabulon is to try and make it a Klann-linkage shuffler. I have several designs for more efficient closed cam shufflers and was working on shuffle drive pods when I decided that Crabulons purpose is not to win, but to look as cool as possible. one of my personal fave robots is Mechadon, an absolutely useless robot but my it looks cool. So my aim with Crabulon is to make it look cool, though I have some ideas for a weapon system fit for the crab lord...

Robototron The MK 5 at AWS 56 was a Frankenstein of a bot built from what I had to hand. I love the ant weight Loader with its hair band-based track system. So I hope to simplify the design of MK 5 to make an invertible track bot in a similar style. weapon wise I’m currently thinking a plow/ lifter arrangement of some form.

Huricianado I said I want to make a spinner. I stand by that Idea. So, It’s fitting that Hurricanado be the bot to do it. current plans are some kind of plastic derived full body spinner, tho This may change so something that can make be adapted from the Robototron chassis (common parts always being good. before my change of heart regarding Crabulon the plan was to be that Crabulon and Robototron would be the same chassis with different drive pods, an idea I may revisit).

Oaf 3: This is all ready designed but was unable to print prior to AWS 56. Basically, it’s the ball concept but using a icosahedron rather than a ball. For those not in the know. The icosahedron is a 20 sided shape and the shape of the 20 sided dice used in D&D. Hence Oaf 3s full name: Oaf 3: Critical fail.

So thats the plan. I will try and update this with pictures and what not as the plan develops and changes.

Also, as a side note. I will probably put Crabulon 1 on Thingverse relatively soon if people want it. I have a bot called shaunbot on there that was a test bot that never actually got printed. Should probably print that at some point...
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Just a quickie:

Crabulon on thingverse:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3195078

Enjoy
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

A quick screen shot of Crabulon 2

still have to fit batteries and Electronics.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
haz

Post by haz »

That's the best thing.
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

ooh - looks compilicated!

which way does it move? flat bit forward, or legs forward?
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
Isioviel

Post by Isioviel »

That is insane and beautiful and I can't wait for it to exist!
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

voorsk wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:25 am ooh - looks compilicated!

which way does it move? flat bit forward, or legs forward?
Yes...
\/ \/
Um My current thinking is the flat is the front with it walking sideways. Like a crab \00/
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Of weapons:

so been considering weapon systems for crabulon. As much is it is about form over function, I would like it to have a weapon system, as this is something I have lacked in previous robots.

I defiantly said at AWS 56 (along with saying the robot will be pink...) That Crabulon 2 would have a drum spinner and the earlier designs factored that in (I may yet use the other design for crabulon as another robot) but the bot as it is dost feel like a drum spinner would be right.

Now I have committed the cardinal sin here of considering the weapon system last. While I shall pray to the robot wars gods for forgiveness on this transgression I am forced to fit the weapon to the design now. And the long and short of it is that Crabulon 2 is not mobile enough to win a war of mobility.

One idea is to turret mount a weapon system. My early idea was to have a parasitic multibot where the turret was its own self contained robot that 'rode around' on top of the drive unit. While this sounds cool I do worry about weight (I worry about weight any way for this one). I think the current thinking is thus:

An Axe. Axes are cool, provided one waits for a good hit. I will probably run it of a N20. I will do one of three things regarding its set up:

Independent turret: as described above for true 360 rotation
Servo driven turret: easier at expense of weapon range.
Fixed. nice and easy at further expense of weapon range. Also could use a servo for this and run it of one ESC.

And I will end by saying writing this has made me think if Robototron may become a drum spinner....

stay tuned.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Yes, run an axe off a N20, then it will be really impressive (even if not necessarily damaging).

I think Derek Dudge's Manticore used a N20 with a beating club containing a big nut, and it was amazing at AWS55.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

A few more pictures

so this was the first version of Crabulon 2 to be almost complete:

I then finally got the test leg printed (will try post a vid of that). From that i decided I could get the mechanism better and from that designted a new version of crabulon 2.

This version dosnt look as nice (yet) but is much more modular which I do like. It also has the option to have various weapons modules. The 2nd version is more geared towards forward walking, where as the first version is about side to side walking.

I am awaiting a new test leg. if that works then I will get the crab printed.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)