AWS56 - 13th October, Bristol

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

UserFriendly

Re: AWS56 - 13th October, Bristol

Post by UserFriendly »

I've seen a few individual fights on youtube from AWS56, but just wondering if anyone took a video of all the fights since Harry wasn't there?
Andy B - Team UserFriendly
Reading Cybernetics Graduate 1996
Trying not to take Antweights too seriously. I think I'm failing.
First AWS was 46.
James Williams

Post by James Williams »

There was a camera set up so I'm sure there will be footage going up at some point.
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Harry was there and filming as usual (his ants did good too) I'm sure the full video will be up sometime this week.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
UserFriendly

Post by UserFriendly »

GeorgeR wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:13 pm Harry was there and filming as usual (his ants did good too) I'm sure the full video will be up sometime this week.
Ok great! Thanks, I thought Harry said he wasn't going to go... (no rush tho Harry...)
Andy B - Team UserFriendly
Reading Cybernetics Graduate 1996
Trying not to take Antweights too seriously. I think I'm failing.
First AWS was 46.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Was AntLog used at this event? Someone downloaded the event data and locked the database, but no-one has sent me any results.
Now I can unlock the database manually, but if the results exist I'd rather add them (which also unlocks the database in a more controlled manner).

EDIT: Razerdave, I know it was you! :D At 8:49 on Friday 12th October.
All this gets logged in the database (if I go hunting for it).
If you have results please send them to me, if not please let me know and I can sort it out manually.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hey all
Gary: Chris Malton should have sent you the results.

Sorry I’m a bit late to the ball here, but just popped in to say well done to Team Oink in their 1st and 2nd place, you’re a hard team to beat :).

Talking of Team Oink and Team Effort, I had a conversation with their father who complained about the two teams having to fight each other twice with the same robots within 2-3 rounds.

I’ve talked with people smarter than me (not difficult), and whilst it is possible to randomise the losers and winners, rather than have them split into heats as is currently the case, it doesn’t seem likely that it’ll do much, or as they put it:
"We can't guarantee we'll change anything, but we'll have a look at whether doing this shuffle makes a difference to the probability of certain robots hitting each other twice in quick succession"

As another point, our rules are currently getting an overhaul by the active members of the committee. Some rules have been settled but others are going in for a timed vote on their wording; the committee is discussing the best wording to avoid the usual “discuss to death and nothing gets done”. Simple choice vote.

Look forward to seeing you all in the new year :)
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

All the results are now available on AntLog.

The main problem with shuffling robots between groups is that you increase the chance of a team being drawn against itself in the early rounds. It's not technically difficult to shuffle the losers, but it's debateable whether it's better to prevent teams fighting themselves with the small risk of fights repeating within a group, or to prevent repeating fights but running the risk of teams having to fight themselves before the final rounds.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Hi,

We formed team "Unnecessary complexity" with my robot Betsie and Vance's robot "This Way Up!". Our team managed to bring quite a group of spectators - I think we had five at one stage (although one is only 9 months old and it's not clear that she's that keen on little fighting robots).

This Way Up! unfortunately lost in the first fight of the day to "Having big dreams etc...", despite being fairly evenly matched.

Betsie did slightly better and we beat Pete's dangerous undercutter Anticyclone, albeit taking a bit of damage.

---

Unfortunately after that things got worse, "This Way Up!" had to retire due to electrical problems.

I then managed to complete my two subsequent battles by driving Betsie into the pit, twice.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands