Best battery for transmitter

Please post all questions and answers in here. This way people can easily see if someone else has the same problem.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Rambling

Best battery for transmitter

Post by Rambling »

Hi all, First timer here

Im planning on building an antweight bot, most likely a simple flipper (ill make a build diary soon) but I have a small question about transmitter and batteries first.

I was thinking of getting this TX and RX set:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-9x- ... stem.html

Firstly, would this one do? 2 channels used for each of the drive servos, and a third for the flipper servo?

And secondly, what battery would be the best for this? I find good lipo ones, but theyre all graded for around 7.4v, and the RX here says its rated for 4.0v-6.5v.

I found this battery, which I'm guessing would work?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122165361905 ... 2401772223
and if this one would, which connector would you all recommend, and which mAh is the best to get?

Thank you so much in advance! Hoping you can help me here! Looking forward to my build,

Rambling.
BeligerAnt

Re: Best battery for transmitter

Post by BeligerAnt »

First of all, welcome! We're a friendly bunch (outside the arena at least) and this forum is a wealth of information.

That transmitter and receiver looks fine for an antweight, plenty of channels and memories for when you get on to your second, third... robots :)
You may want to check that "Mode 1" is what you really want. Mode 1 has the throttle (usually with a ratchet and without centring springs) on the right hand stick. Mode 2 swaps the sticks with the aileron (roll) and elevator (pitch) on the right stick. Robots are usually set up with forward/reverse on the elevator channel and left/right on the aileron channel, giving all the movement controls on the right stick, with the left for weapons.

You can use the small NiMH batteries you linked to but they are quite big & heavy compared to LiPo. If you are using gearmotors (rather than modified servos) for drive you will need a speed controller. Almost all speed controllers include a "BEC" a voltage regulator that converts the 7-8V from the battery to 5V for the receiver. Whatever you do, don't be tempted to power the receiver directly from a LiPo battery!

Regardless of which type of bettery you get, you will need a suitable charger.

As to battery connectors, most people use the JST 2-pin type, although if you do go the NiMH route you could go with the JR or Futaba connectors which plug straight into the receiver (not sure which type would be best for the Turnigy Rx).
A capacity of 100-300mAh is sufficient for most robots. If you go the NiMH route you may find weight limits you to the lower end with correspondingly shorter run times and consequently the need to buy (more) spare batteries!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Rambling

Post by Rambling »

Thank you so much for your reply!

Very helpful, ah perfect! So I shall be getting myself a nice Mode 1 then.

Yes I understand about the weight, I think if I get a couple of the 120mAh 6v ones (only 18g each) it should do me fine then.

For this first build I’ll be using modified 360 servos for my drive, to save money and so I can understand how to build the thing etc, with a look to potentially upgrade in the future.

If, then, I had gearmotors with the ESC’s, I assume the receiver gets its power through the ESC then?

Next thing for me to search around for is a suitable charger!

Would this charger potentially do?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iMAX-B6-RC-CH ... a @eBay_UK

Thank you so so much for your response! Extremely useful, when all the bits arrive, that’s when I’ll start my build diary I think then.

Rambling
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

That charger will be perfect for the NiMH batteries and will also be suitable for LiPo batteries when you want to get a bit more advanced.

Note that the charger runs off 12V DC so you will need a suitable mains adaptor to go with it. There are some very similar chargers that have a mains power supply built in which is generally more convenient.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Rambling

Post by Rambling »

Wonderful wonderful

Thank you so much!

When all my items arrive I'll start the build diary. You are all so helpful!

See you around