Devo 7E Transmitter

Places to spend cash or learn things!

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Rapidrory

Devo 7E Transmitter

Post by Rapidrory »

This is something I came across recently; The Devo 7E Tx is a 7 channel transmitter with a 30 model memory, 8 mixing channels, a nice back lit display and many many other fancy features, and they sell on ebay for less than £40. (http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from= ... e&_sacat=0 )

I picked one up for £37 thinking there must be some catch, and you do have to upload the 'Deviation' firmware to it via the little USB port in the back so you can bind to DSM2 RXs (walk through of that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj36KytnsQo) , but once you've done that it works fine with the lemon RX and others. Gonna use it to put all my Nanos, fleas, and misc ants on to free up the Orange TX for my more competitive bots (I'm more used to the slightly larger grip of the Orange now). Means I don't have to haul 4 blade TXs around to events :L

Just thought you guys would be interested, seeing as I know a few people have more than 10 working ants across multiple TXs, and the 30 model memory allows you to condense some of them down onto one TX.
Last edited by Rapidrory on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
UserFriendly

Re: Devo 7E Transmitter

Post by UserFriendly »

Thanks for this Rory, just bought one!
Andy
Andy B - Team UserFriendly
Reading Cybernetics Graduate 1996
Trying not to take Antweights too seriously. I think I'm failing.
First AWS was 46.
trev502000

Post by trev502000 »

hi rory
i have just got into ants working on my first 2 with a bit of help from mr waller i brought a devo 7e just stuck the new firmware on im just stuck on mixing for twin polou tank style motor control any idea?
Trev
UserFriendly

Post by UserFriendly »

Hi Trev, I've not had too much experience, but here looked like a useful page:
http://www.deviationtx.com/manuals/html ... e-mix-type

Not done it myself, but intend to shortly!

Andy
First AWS was 46.
decap

Post by decap »

This is the cheapest I have found for a UK delivery for anyone that may be interested.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
patlinnett

Post by patlinnett »

Hi there guys,

I bought a Devo 7e to use with my antweight I'm building - but I'm having some issues installing the firmware that makes it compatible with the NanoTwo. The issue I'm having is that my computer isn't registering it when I plug it in, so DfuSe can't see it - I've tried different cables, different sockets, and different computers, to no avail. I've trawled the internet for solutions but I haven't come up with anything. Has anyone else run into a similar issue?
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

patlinnett wrote:Hi there guys,

I bought a Devo 7e to use with my antweight I'm building - but I'm having some issues installing the firmware that makes it compatible with the NanoTwo. The issue I'm having is that my computer isn't registering it when I plug it in, so DfuSe can't see it - I've tried different cables, different sockets, and different computers, to no avail. I've trawled the internet for solutions but I haven't come up with anything. Has anyone else run into a similar issue?
Are you turning the TX on in the correct mode? It won't be recognised otherwise. Follow the video in Rorys post. Plug the TX into your PC then turn it on in the right mode.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
patlinnett

Post by patlinnett »

It's definitely in the right mode. I followed the instructions very closely!

The first issue I've run into was that the cable supplied was not a USB cable. It appears to be an audio cable:

I did, as a last resort, try connecting it to my computer's Microphone socket. Interestingly, a microphone popped up in my device manager when I did this - so the actual connection isn't mechanically faulty.

So, naturally, I bought one of these, which seem to be the 'official' cable.

This, however, does not work either. I have installed all the drivers for it (after much searching of the internet) and while my computer can see the UP02 itself, it cannot see the transmitter. Still. I have also tried using the UP02's program to upgrade the transmitter but to no avail.

So, I borrowed a cable that looked about right to me off a mate:

And, staying on theme, this did not work either. Am I missing something blindingly obvious? I currently suspect that the issue is that I'm trying to do this all with a windows 10 computer - all the manuals seem to be referring to windows XP as the most recent OS! I'm getting access to an XP computer on Tuesday, and I'll be trying everything on there.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

There's a USB port on the side of the Devo 7e. You're trying to use the trainer port.

I use a Windows 10 PC to reprogram all my devos and it works fine.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
UserFriendly

Post by UserFriendly »

What Alex said. Picture :
First AWS was 46.