Design-Build of Fe, my first competitive ant.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

shangalaing

Design-Build of Fe, my first competitive ant.

Post by shangalaing »

So this is the beginning of my earnest entry into the antweight world. Fe is a simple servo powered flipper with servo drive, simple using electronics I have lying around from my drones. The chassis is designed for 3D printing, which I will get started on in around 3 weeks and I'm intending on the armour being steel, hence Fe. I don't know if it will be competitive, but this is more about learning the ropes, finding problems etc.

I shall keep updating!
Attachments
Chassis, flipper frame 3D printed. Servos in place
Chassis, flipper frame 3D printed. Servos in place
image.jpeg (86.86 KiB) Viewed 10309 times
How it should look hopefully
How it should look hopefully
image.jpeg (125.49 KiB) Viewed 10309 times
joey_picus

Re: Design-Build of Fe, my first competitive ant.

Post by joey_picus »

The design looks good, but I trust you've done the weight calculation if you want to armour the entire robot in steel? You might be able to do it with less than 0.5mm thickness for that much surface area (going on eyeballing) but 0.2 or 0.3mm thick anything isn't going to offer much protection at all!
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
shangalaing

Post by shangalaing »

Yeh the chassis and components should come to around 80 to 100 Grams, I'm looking at 0.75mm steel, but I am weight conscious.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

0.75mm might work; I would look at spring steel maybe (ebay?) as that's probably going to have better antweight properties than mild steel for the same weight. Good luck with the build and weight!
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
shangalaing

Post by shangalaing »

So I printed the frame, modded some servos and found I really don't have enough room in this design for all the components, plus I realised the metal gear servos are slightly larger than the nylon counterparts, so back to the drawing board.
Roboteernat

Post by Roboteernat »

shangalaing wrote: metal gear servos are slightly larger than the nylon counterparts, so back to the drawing board.

Thats whats so great about this hobby and having access to your own printer, if it doesn't work, redesign and reprint, learn from mistakes and improve :)
Some projects done: Wirelessly controlled mechanical hand/arm
Heavyweight: Short Circuit
Antweight robot : Locking wheel nuts, dell-apidated bANTtry...
Featherweight : Wanna Choppa, CASPer
Check out http://www.Roboteernat.co.uk for more details
shangalaing

Post by shangalaing »

Yes! Second iteration is a drastic design change but seems to be working well. Also just printed my second iteration of a spinner design. Hopefully it will be ready for Saturday.
shangalaing

Post by shangalaing »

So TWO yes TWO antweights completed! When the first design went downhill I went from it being called F-E to Iffy. And the spinner is called sketchy.
Attachments
Iffy and Sketchy
Iffy and Sketchy
IMG_0664.JPG (226.68 KiB) Viewed 9877 times
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Very impressive what material is sketchy printed in. :roll:
shangalaing

Post by shangalaing »

PETT. I realise if it gets hit it will most likely shatter, but this is more of a learning experience right now. The spinner sounds scary whet up to speed