Tashic's ants

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Roboteernat

Re: Tashic's ants

Post by Roboteernat »

Now i do like these bots, nice engineering/soldering and mechanical stuffs not just 3d printed and plastic :)

I love these, remind me of my heavyweight bots days by looking at thise pics...

must get printing my new bot haha

Well done
Some projects done: Wirelessly controlled mechanical hand/arm
Heavyweight: Short Circuit
Antweight robot : Locking wheel nuts, dell-apidated bANTtry...
Featherweight : Wanna Choppa, CASPer
Check out http://www.Roboteernat.co.uk for more details
Tashic

Post by Tashic »

The build didn't really go according to plan, because of weight issues.
I had to remove large parts to make it less than 150g, and this is how it ended:
IMG_3896.JPG
IMG_3896.JPG (210.76 KiB) Viewed 10990 times
IMG_3897.JPG
IMG_3897.JPG (203.92 KiB) Viewed 10990 times
IMG_3899.JPG
IMG_3899.JPG (197.95 KiB) Viewed 10990 times
No armour on the back, exept for two strips to not let it rest helpless on it's back (if it gets stuck on the back, the torque of spinning the wheels is enought get back on the wheels).
Large chunks on the bottom have been taken out, especially where the battery and ESCs/rx are.
Also the flipper has glitches, the servo goes up and down by it's own, but only when the battery is fully charged, and doesn't last long.
I'm guessing that the servo that I took the electronics out wasn't intended for a fully charged LiPo.

Asside from these problems, the robot is reasonably fast, controllable and torquey, the flipper, even if is not very powerful, even for servo only flippers, is springy enough to flip easly my other two robots upside down and self right.
I probably going to get back to this robot, and try to put at least a back cover.

In many points F3 (this robot) is the polar opposite of it's predecessor.
F3 is better performance wise, but lacks protection, while F2 was made like a tank, but had just smallish servos for both drive and flipper (more like lifter), and wasn't very drivable, mostly because of the very wonky wheels being far back.

Guess F3 isn't completely a fail.

What do you think guys?
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Better than what I've built! :p. no that would be harsh on you to compare you to my standards, I think it looks really good and I'm glad your Italian because if you came here i could add you to the list of amazing robots that I am in trouble if I'm drawn against.Great stuff dude.
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Tashic

Post by Tashic »

Thank you :)
I will eventually go back to this, somewhere I can lose weight for that back cover.
And I would really like to come there, but if I go to the UK, it will be for a feather competition, at least for the first trip.
Tashic

Post by Tashic »

I said I would come back to F3, and so I did!

Meet F3.1:
IMG_4187.JPG
IMG_4187.JPG (123.13 KiB) Viewed 10127 times
IMG_4188.JPG
IMG_4188.JPG (114.53 KiB) Viewed 10127 times
IMG_4189.JPG
IMG_4189.JPG (134.21 KiB) Viewed 10127 times
This time I decided to use the servo that Rory told me about, and it's pretty powerfull!
I's also very small, so I was able to have a much neater layout of all the components, keep the baseplate from becoming swiss cheese, and actually finish the armour on the back.

This time I decided to use some car rubber tubing for tyres, because rubber bands degrade easly and are easy to pull of the wheel.
The flipper now is about 1mm aluminium, I incorporated some HDPE into the structure, and some screws are m2.
Because of the rear horns, it takes a bit to self right, but I like them, so they remain!

Now is time to design a spinner 8)
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

These bots look fantastic! And the engineering and construction behind them is some of the best I've seen on here. In a way I am glad that you live in Italy as you would beat many of our UK bots! :P
Luke H - Team Bandit
Tashic

Post by Tashic »

Thanks bot_bandit!

Here is a video of F3.1 in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghjGAv9 ... e=youtu.be
Tashic

Post by Tashic »

my next robot is my first try at a spinner robot:

UpperCut
IMG_4213.JPG
IMG_4213.JPG (142.47 KiB) Viewed 9311 times
IMG_4214.JPG
IMG_4214.JPG (142.16 KiB) Viewed 9311 times
Uses an Afro 12A, and the dys BL motor that Rory suggested, and is supported on both sides.
For drive uses servos that I had already from a previous robot, and to not burn them with the full battery voltage, I hacked together a regulator from components of random circuit boards, and the regulator only powers the servos, the RX uses the ESC's BEC.

Already tested against a test block of wood with a 0.8 aluminium wedge, and it goes through that no problem.

The disc is single tooth and handmade, so it vibrates quite a bit, but it stabilizes at full speed.
Can self right using the power of the weapon.
IMG_4216.JPG
IMG_4216.JPG (162.52 KiB) Viewed 9311 times
The disc is made of mild steel, and if it hits something hard it gets blunt, as seen in the photo.

The build was mostly try something, and then think of the rest later, and because of this, even after all the holes made, it's just under the weight limit (149.9g).

And yes, it gyro dances!
Tashic

Post by Tashic »

So it's been a while.
Sorry for not posting anything but I have a bad habit of not posting stuff until I've finished the robots, but I do realize that if I post things as I build along that would be more interesting and informative.

Anyways I decided to update my Vortice robot to version 4:
IMG_4386.JPG
IMG_4386.JPG (131.95 KiB) Viewed 8486 times
Wanted to change things a bit from the usual Vortice robots.
It's now using the same thickness of alu that I use for the flipper and spinner. Still way too thin, as I proved by my spinner just going through the stuff like nothing. Should probably use polycarb for the scoops as well, but I like the look of alu...
Luckly I originally designed the robot to have multiple front attachments, so a poly wedge isn't out of the question, along with some hinged metal forks/wedge so when upside down it's not without wedge.
Also as you can see I was not happy with the protruding bolts in the wedge, so I used countersunk bolts* and hammered them into the alu until they where flush. Less bits for spinners to bite.

* (originally not countersunk, but made them countersunk by using the pillar dril as cheapo lathe and a file. Recycling!)

Previously on the rear it had a smaller and steeper wedge, to have something to push with when upside down and for protection, but this time:
IMG_4387.JPG
IMG_4387.JPG (146.54 KiB) Viewed 8486 times
I decided to have no wedge or protection for the wheels, but to give the robot the ability to never lose traction with the floor if lifted to much from the front, and hope to always keep the front end facing the opponent.
That meant that I had to use the top and bottom poly plates to hold the sides together, this made the build more complicated, but I made it.
IMG_4388.JPG
IMG_4388.JPG (131.53 KiB) Viewed 8486 times
Also I had to change the wheels as the alu hubs where too heavy.
I used the same round rubber things that I ended up using in UpperCut, but with more holes for weight reduction.
They aren't that grippy, but none of my wheel solutions are. I know I will eventually try silicon thread, but not now.
Main problem with these wheels is that because the rubber things are not designed as wheels, they arent perfectly centered, so I had to try and sand them down to "close enough". I stopped at that before making things worse.

Not entirely happy with it have to say. The construction ended up being way more complicated that I wanted, it's basically an unnecessarily convoluted jigsaw puzzle.
All because I wanted to have this specific shape, and 6wd, and using no 3d printing.

But here it is finally in a state that I can call finished.

Right know the main three robots of my "team" are done (pusher, flipper, spinner), so next will probably be a walker.
Never made one so far, so it will be interesting.
Might revisit the crusher idea as well. :D
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

That is one beautiful looking robot. And a very impressive build, I don't think I could do better even with all my CNC machinery.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!