Peter Wallers Robot Ramblings

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Re: Peter Wallers Robot Ramblings

Post by peterwaller »

I have for some time been thinking about trying interchangeable weapons again as used in Variant.
I had a halfhearted attempt for the games event last weekend but with the possibility of helping a local school looming I thought the idea might be adaptable for that.
What I thought I would suggest was that they start with a basic box like module that holds the main parts such as the receiver, controller, motors, wheels, tyres, switch and batteries and then make slide on modules to produce the different robots.
Here is the basic module I have come up with based on Rory's controller. :wink:
Here is a lifter module based on flippant that just needs the servo plugging in and then sliding into the basic modules slot.
https://youtu.be/rSgCCodK44c
Eventually I am proposing to try this on a more competitive robot.
One thing while getting a bit carried away with the idea I thought I could have a spare basic module in case of breakdown or damage but then you are effectively changeing the whole robot.
Last edited by peterwaller on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

The idea of the drive module is fantastic. can see this working especially well in schools but don't see why it couldn't be competitive too! It brings to mind the question whether two robots would be allowed to share one of these modules given that everything else stayed the same? It would allow for making multiple robots on a budget which is an advantage for some people.
Luke H - Team Bandit
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

bot_bandit wrote:It brings to mind the question whether two robots would be allowed to share one of these modules given that everything else stayed the same? It would allow for making multiple robots on a budget which is an advantage for some people.
This question (although sort of in reverse) was asked a few weeks ago. The question then was whether 2 robots could share interchangeable weapons. The conclusion was that whilst it wasn't strictly prohibited in the rules it really wasn't within the spirit of the rules and likely wouldn't be allowed by an event organiser. I think sharing a drive train takes things even further - one drivetrain really is one robot, you can't treat it as two!
Nothing to stop you coupling the same drivetrain to different weapon systems for different events - which is precisely what Peter did for the Oxford Games recently.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

I recall that conversation which is why this question came to mind. Was wondering people's thoughts on the 'reverse' side of this situation!
Luke H - Team Bandit
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Here is the first attempt at a more competitive module.
And here it is with a possible weapon module still in the design phase.
Last edited by peterwaller on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Made a few changes to the drive module and built a drum spinner module although it still needs a few changes.
Here are the two module separate.
Here together.
And here is the drum running.
https://youtu.be/_4M7ekbW64U
The drive is a bit slow even with the big wheels but that may not be a bad thing with my driving.
The Drum seems to get up to speed very quickly and some of you may remember the spring steel blades from an old walking version of Mutant.
Last edited by peterwaller on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Very nice! What weight is the drum?
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I had a a lot of problems getting the weight down on the drum I think its around 35gms including the blades.
The drum is made up of 3 blade carrier discs which are solid plus 4 hollow spacers and the motor and bearing adapters all printed in nylon and held together with 3 M2.5 studs.
There is a further 2 mm piano wire up the center which passes through each blade to center and retain it.
Reala

Post by Reala »

The 3D Design work is impressing me. Sketchup still? Such impressive software...
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

How do you attach the motors in your drive units? Are they screwed in from the front?
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)