mcscruff

Re: Total cost?

Post by mcscruff »

I bought a kit from here..

I really need to learn more
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I am all for learning how things work I even scratch build my own controllers but you need to start somewhere.
When you say you have bought a kit I assumed you meant a complete robot kit like the Shockbots one.
OK Rory has already connected the receiver to the controller and the controller to the motors but that is a small part of designing a working robot.
The problem is at the moment there are few controllers available that I have seen working in antweights and really his is the only one I would recommend.
mcscruff

Post by mcscruff »

I bought the kit from this sites antshop.

Watch this space
hobojoe

Post by hobojoe »

Hey guys, without wanting to make a new thread for the same discussion I thought I would ask here.
You say going for one of the kits is the best way to start, but for me that isn't nessisaraly the case.

I have a transmitter (I fly racing drones) but it is not spektrum. I know I can buy the JT Module, but I would prefer not to. So in my case the kits don't work. The only component I don't get is the motor driver, brushless motors and ESC's are common place in racing drones, but geared brushed motors are new to me.

Motors I get, so I would look at something like this
https://www.pololu.com/product/3063

But would these be the right sorts of drivers for this or am I looking at the wrong thing here:
https://www.pololu.com/product/2130
https://www.pololu.com/product/713

As long as I am on the right track I can figure it all out. I have spare receivers ect lying around just wanting to make sure that the drivers are the right thing.

Thanks Chris
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Motors are fine, but a bit pricey, just get some copies from ebay.

And as far as I'm aware neither of those controllers are suitable. I use these https://www.pololu.com/product/1220 but they aren't plug and play. You have to program them with your own code. I think you'd be better just buying a controller from Rory. Or if you're on a budget, just use servo boards.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Yeah you could just ask rory and buy a kit without RX attached then plug in your own.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Yard

Post by Yard »

Sorry to be another person to piggyback off this thread with their own question, but what kind of basic tools are needed for antweights and does this tend to affect cost much? I know a soldering iron would be a must, for example.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

It depends on your design really. At the most basic you could probably get away with a soldering iron, pliers, mini screwdriver set, scissors, Stanley knife, a file, a ruler and some gaffer tape.

Luxuries might involve a multi tool, 3d printer and a lathe or mill.
Yard

Post by Yard »

That doesn't sound too bad. I'd probably be keeping it basic for my first build anyway. Thanks!
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

I haven't built anything yet but I purchased a dremel that gives me a lot of options. Also considering a 3D printer but it's not essential
Team Shinobi