The "Robot Wars" Effect

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

The "Robot Wars" Effect

Post by BeligerAnt »

Since Robot Wars returned to UK TV screens, we have seen a dramatic upturn in members of this forum. :)

In fact, since the first show aired on 24th July we have had 35 new members sign up. Barely a day goes by without one or more new users!

Welcome one and all! Remember we were all beginners once and there is no such thing as a stupid question. Hopefully we will see some of you at future events. All events are announced in the Events section of the forum.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
BeligerAnt

Re: The "Robot Wars" Effect

Post by BeligerAnt »

Make that 36! :D
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

The enormous pile of antweight parts sitting on my desk is another testament to that! :P
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Reala

Post by Reala »

I'd been watching re-runs on Challenge, etc over the years but thought the sport had died off in favour of drones, etc, etc that were making television.

Me and my partner were so excited when we saw it return to TV and a quick Google search proved to me that the community was very much alive!

When it originally aired I was quite young and didn't have any money... Now able to get involved and it really great to be here :D
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

You will definitely start seeing a lot more people at events and the community growing. I think one of the problems people face is that they think there's 1000s of wires inside each of these robots and are not aware of smaller weight categories. I have spoken to half a dozen people this week promoting the hobby and all seemed very keen on get involved. Long live robot wars!
Team Shinobi
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Yeah, had about 2 months worth of kit orders in the last two weeks; not complaining but it's hard to keep up when parts have a 3 week lead time! :P
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I fully expect Roryboard Enterprises to sponsor an AWS at your private castle in Taunton before the year is out at that rate of growth :D

It's extremely heartening to see the level of interest though - I thought that maybe RW coming back would cause us to lose people to heavyweights if anything, but the amount of new signups and new robots and even people coming to the Oxford event just to spectate has been brilliant and hopefully we can capitalise on that to make the next few World Series even better. I've even been able to drum up interest on Twitter around the episode airings!
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
CAJOS

Post by CAJOS »

I loved robot wars when I was younger and always wanted to get into it. Now I can, I want to start with something small and simple to get some understanding with electronics and components. I am starting with one of these kits that everyone seems to always recommend and will likely start asking questions once I get to playing around with it some.
Westie1

Post by Westie1 »

Hi everyone
Your right, I'm one of your new members :)
I was in a camping pod in Cornwall and half cut stumbled upon the new robotwars, my wife wondered what was wrong I was so happy haha!
All I wanted when I was younger was to go see it live for my birthday, hit Google as you do (still half cut) and found this site!
Since then I've got;
blade tx
Lemon rx
2 escs
Lipos and charger from hk today
Brass rod
And a very ambitious weapon plan lol.

Great site and hope some damage is done in Yorkshire as well as down south :)
Asht

Post by Asht »

I have the same bug again ha now I have children and nephews it's something for them as well. I've ordered
2x 50:1 geared motors
High speed servo for the flipper
1mm aluminium for flipper
Sabertooth motor controller
1mm polycarbonate for body any advice and also any events planned near Sidmouth devon