Build Diary for a new antweight

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

botomatic1000

Re: Build Diary for a new antweight

Post by botomatic1000 »

Looking great. Doesn't Oni mean devil in Japanese.
Ethan Wall KINGS HEATH COLLIDERS
Current Robots: Sprat Bait: The worst 150g Wedge ever built...
Elysium 1.4: Antweight Undercutter, built by Team Riptide, Brummie glass cannon edition!
Barracuda: Beetleweight Vert... hates working...
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Yeah pretty much. I missed out some details like the clubs Onis carry but it looks trollish enough haha :D
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

Just wondering how you cut the aluminium for the flipper and what thickness it is? I'm looking to add some to my bot! thanks :)
Luke H - Team Bandit
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

All mine are aluminum ranging from 0.7 to 1.5mm and I use a hacksaw and if I need a precise circle or something really accurate I use a dremel but a small hacksaw is usually fine
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

I just used scissors for the front scoops, it's 1mm so not massively thick. Also bear in mind it bends when cut, and is a little difficult to cut, so you have to get the hammer on it once cut. I had to bend mine some more because of the way my flippers angled, not all of it will touch the floor if it's all completely straight. Also to drill into it I didn't use any lubricant as I couldn't find the WD 40, it was thin enough that the 2mm drill bit went through without much issue.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

I'm having a little ESC trouble. One of my ESCs in Roc burnt out, or there was some kind of issue with it, a week or so back, so I cut it out, and resoldered all of the connections. After all of that, it works fine, however during the testing phase, the signal wire in my other ESC broke off, and the other two wires tangled. So I ended up pulling them off and trying to resolder. My soldering isn't the best, it's new to me, and my soldering iron tip is poor. If I soldered incorrectly, then the motor would continuously spin whenever I turned the transmitter on, but after resoldering the ESC numerous times it has now gotten to the point where it won't move at all, meaning somethings not connected, generally, but everything was connected, the connections were a little messy, but everything was firmly on, no cold solders. Upon close inspection it appeared to move ever so slightly for a split second when the battery was plugged in, but nowhere near as much as the working motor would. Anyone have any suggestions? I guess I could post attachments but I undid most of the solders after the last failed attempt.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

ESC Trouble: Part II

After giving up on the broken ESCs, I went for a pair that had BECS. I originally went for a pair with brakes but I also have a pair without coming in the post. After soldering some clips onto the motors, the ESCs can be switched out easily, but after taking the advice on here and other forums and only attaching one battery, a 2S LiPo, one motor appears to be much more powered than the other, and forwards results in whichever ESC having the battery overpowering the other motor and turning in the opposite direction in an open circle. I was wondering if there was any fix to this, maybe the charge was down on the battery and it's only powering the one motor the most? I've tried disconnecting the live wire from the second ESC on the receiver connector but that just kills the ESC. Anyone got any ideas?
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

I'm not entirely certian how you've wired it up, but without easily being able to draw a picture at the moment, here goes a (hopefully) clear step by step description:

Connect the battery to BOTH ESCs.
Remove the centre (usually red) lead from one of the ESCs.
Connect both ESCs to the receiver.
Connect one motor to each ESC (obvs!)

It's best to connect the battery and ESCs together in a "Y" form, or if you connect them in a line put the battery in the middle and make the wires the same length.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Thanks, I thought I'd have to do that but I didn't want to mess with anything just in case. Need a new mixer though, I think something went wrong with mine as it was sending the robot into full forwards, or was wired up so one of the motors was backwards. I could switch a motor upside down I guess and try that but the wires were very thin so I'd worry it would short out, and the mixer from Oni worked fine on the new electronics so I've bought another turnigy one. Still suffering with weight though, the robot will be very close to the wire and that's without all the decoration I like to add with my robots, and I've made the chassis as small as I can just about fitting everything in.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Drill some holes in it! :)

(There are over 500 in R.O.N.N.Y. :D You can get away with removing quite a lot of material from a chassis)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt