AWS 50- 23rd July- Basingstoke

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Occashokka

Re: AWS 50- 23rd July- Basingstoke

Post by Occashokka »

I forgot to donate anything, did you get enough?
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Ummm....

A small screw-up on the database front :oops:

A couple of people created users (teams) and robots after AWS50 signup closed last night and before I uploaded the results this evening.
I didn't realise and there was a clash between these additional teams/robots and ones that we had to add at the event.
This has caused the slight mangling of the data mentioned above (which has now been fixed).

It does mean that those new teams/robots added online have been lost, so if they were yours (or you know whose they were) they need to be added again. Sorry :oops:

Also I had to create a team for "Loco Candy" (driver of Antrax). If that person PMs me with their email address I can make the account properly theirs and tell them the password!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Thanks to all for an awesome day today! :)

Really enjoyed the whole competition even though a couple of my robots weren't quite up to scratch.

I'm surprised AntWithTopHat came joint 13th even though the wheels didn't touch the ground properly as they rotated and ULTIMATE Grabby Crushy Lifty Thing did nicely as well despite being brand new so I'm really happy; I didn't think that design would even work but it was grabbing and picking up things just great! Just need to work out how to stop myself driving over the top of those arena walls.

Doktor Power will be reworked though and will come back with its old power again next time; it kept cutting out during battle which combined with the twitchy controls made it a pain to drive. I'm amazed it went out before AntWithTopHat which I expected to lose every fight! Of course, Sir Stampfoot was very good in its own way but unfortunately not so great in a competitive way. I think I'll need a weapon more menacing than a lifting top hat... Bar spinner? :D

Congratulations to Rory, John and Alex for winning the Antweights, Fleaweights and Nanoweights respectively and also to everyone else; everybody did amazingly well and competition this time was amazingly tough! Also a huge congratulations to the newcomers who fought really well and were amazingly tricky opponents.

Thanks very much to Dan + family and all those who helped out today to make a fantastic event! :D Can't wait for the next one!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I had a great time and my robots did much better than of late with three in the last 16.
Thanks to Dan and family for a great event and congratulations to all who won especially Rory who has been so close for a while and has finally done it.
The nylon armour was a great suffering a few nicks but no real damage.
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Thanks to Dan, Vicki, Dave, Gary, and everyone else who organised or helped to run the event on making AWS50 excellent. Huge congratulations to Rory; I'm really pleased you managed to snag the top spot, and you did it pretty convincingly, with a spinner, while breaking Stanley in the process. What more could one ask for?

Congratulations to everyone else who either won competitions or got awards as well, and it was also lovely to see plenty of newcomers getting stuck in. I hope we'll see more of all of you in the future :).

Even after taking some nasty hits in the competition and getting quite a few bits of damage in the annihilator, Void is still running fine, which I hope is some sort of testament to how sturdy it is. That said, I really need to get the new one finished, as well as all the other things I have planned. Hopefully by next time! We'll see!

Looking forward to the next one :D.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
UserFriendly

Post by UserFriendly »

As usual, we had a blast! Thanks to everyone again. Hope you got enough donations! The cake was really nice - if my wife had been there, she'd be asking for the recipe. :P

Thanks to Peter for lending my sons friend a robot, he was so happy to take part.

Well done to Rory, you deserved a good win!

Lost (nearly) all my fights again, but we'll be back with faster, meaner robots. :evil:
Andy B - Team UserFriendly
Reading Cybernetics Graduate 1996
Trying not to take Antweights too seriously. I think I'm failing.
First AWS was 46.
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

Seems like AWS 50 was a blast, look forward to seeing the videos online once they go up! Just wondering where I can find details of the upcoming AWS events? perhaps I'm not looking properly but I can't seem to find a list! Thanks guys :)
Luke H - Team Bandit
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

There are always 3 a year,roughly around spring summer and autumn, there isn't a list simply because we haven't organized who is running each event and the exact day, these are usually decided a month or 2 before the event
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

bot_bandit wrote:Seems like AWS 50 was a blast, look forward to seeing the videos online once they go up! Just wondering where I can find details of the upcoming AWS events? perhaps I'm not looking properly but I can't seem to find a list! Thanks guys :)
They just get posted in the events section of the forum as they are organised.

EDIT: been such a busy weekend I'd forgotten I hadn't got around to posting here yet.

First up a Huge thanks to Dan and his family for hosting another great event! They've really been excellent supporters of the weight class.

The event was great and while I lost the title I was really pleased that it not only went to Rory but also to a spinner aswell! It's been a long time since we saw one of those in the top spot.

My robots did quite nicely with the surprise of Wedge Wedge Wedge actually appearing to be my best entry despite some dodgy driving (Thanks for being team carry Rory.). ICBINS is now a little shorter and with a nice nick taken out the RX so I'll have to figure out some fixing. I Said I Was Sawry was a really fun bot to drive with and while I didn't do well with it with some time and practice (Plus using the right size bolt to hold the servo horn on :P ) it'll be a fun bot. U W0T M9 was its usual self, continually breaking and fixing itself but it worked long enough to take out all 2 other opponents in the NWS! :D I'm hoping to get something together soon to help people build nanos as I'd love to see more about.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

1. There were 3 opponents, how could you forget the lemon?
2.im looking into what I can do with my hxt900's and a nano is quite tempting
3.can we make fresh cake compulsory at every venue?
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)