Team Shakey Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: Team Shakey Build Diary

Post by Shakey »

https://youtu.be/3r1RhCDyTm0

I've been testing out walking mechanisms for antweights a little bit. It's a bit bouncy but that might just be the fact the test chassis is only 80g however the speed is alright with a good amount of grip.

Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

That looks very good, I have been toying with the idea of adapting the walking mechanism from Shuffleaction into an Ant with maybe a spinner.
It needs to be reduced in height quite a lot and the spinner would be easier in the vertical plane but otherwise it looks doable.
Seeing yours might just give me the incentive to get it built.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Go on Pete, we've been pretty short on walkers recently!
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I never did my normal post or even pre event update so here we go!

I Can't Believe It's Not Stanley
In the lead up to AWS49 I completely rebuild ICBINS and repaired its electronics thoroughly. it now features side armour to help keep pesky spinners that make it round the side from doing any damage and a more effective scoop made out of polycarbonate which is also proving to be a more capable armour than the aluminium I used before. I added 2 LEDs to the front because why not? ICBINS did really well at the AWS and I finally managed to win against ALBOF, it was hugely difficult each time but a change from my normal strategy helped out a lot and didn't open my robot up so much when I made mistakes in the driving. It didn't take any damage and I don't have to worry about it before next event which is a bit of a change!

Test Robot Please Ignore
Test was it's usual happy self getting reasonably far though some unlucky bouncing put it out earlier than I'd hoped. It still needs a new disc cutting out of my grade 5 titanium and that should be on there before the next event. Had a lot of fun in the annihilator(s) with it and had most the front of the bot shortened by 'Optimistic Chances Of Self Decimation'.

Wedge Wedge Wedge
I don't think the chaos of Wedge Wedge Wedge will ever stop amusing me, they also managed to face down one of the most powerful horizontals and live only to be taken out by another one of the most powerful horizontals. That combined with some truly awful driving in one match put Wedge Wedge Wedge out but it was a good laugh which is the clusters entire purpose!

Filthy Casuals
I only finished filthy casuals the night before and it showed in the weapon as it just lacked the throw to be fully effective. The drive worked amazingly well with no issues despite being 2 motor 6 wheel drive and even carried on working after slice to meet you took 2 of the wheels out. Slice did a lot of damage to one side of the robot and the front but the many wheels did their job and kept it rolling with repairs being done in a few minutes after the fight. The big improvements needed are to get the geometry of the weapon right and to increase the speed of the drive. The speed really let me down against Slice To Meet You as everytime I took a hit I wasn't able to get back to Slice before it was up to speed again.

U Wot M9
U Wot M9 had somehow fixed its drive by itself from the previous event so went strait back into the fight with only a charge. Some good work in lemmings had me quite excited for the NWS. Though there were only 3 competitors (one of whose battery ran out during the fight) U Wot M9 won. I don't see any need to change this bot, very prone to falling over but that's part the fun of it!

Optimistic Chances Of Self Decimation
I built this spinner on commission after a good friend asked what I could do with an 80mm ti disc. The name comes from the fact we were convinced it wouldn't survive the event just from being unable to contain its own power. However even when hitting tooth to tooth with Bad Idea the robot stood up impressively well. Should be a bot to fear in future as it's new driver becomes more experienced and the final tweaks to the design are done!

Team Shots:

RANDOM STUFF TIME!
Today I maybe got a bit too bored and well... This robot now exists:
https://youtu.be/7n3GtLS1sWk
Mounted to the walking chassis for no real reason at all this is a continuous axe mechanism. It allows the axe to strike continuously without stopping or reversing the motor. It does this through weird gear trickery:

Printer update
After my 3d printer very uncerimoniously attempted to quit its job I completely redesigned and rebuilt the x carriage basing it off the new-fangled E3d titan extruder. It's an amazing piece of kit that has made my printer so much easier to use and has increased the print quality significantly along with the more ridgid bolt on bearing design. The new design also means I can now get my print cooling fan back!

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

A quick Pre AWS 50 post showing the new robots to my team!

Wedge Wedge Wedge
All new wider chassis, no longer legal fleas but much better pushers with some control ability. Now in bright distraction colours!
A quick in print photo!

I Said I Was Sawry
Coming to attack top armour near you I built an overhead saw! Packing 120W of cutting power it slices through armour scarily fast.

And a quick full team snap showing all my bots running tomorrow:

peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Looks like my nylon printed parts will be getting a good testing I only hope its as strong as I think.
botomatic1000

Post by botomatic1000 »

I would have called the blue one Dust pan and Brush(less)
Ethan Wall KINGS HEATH COLLIDERS
Current Robots: Sprat Bait: The worst 150g Wedge ever built...
Elysium 1.4: Antweight Undercutter, built by Team Riptide, Brummie glass cannon edition!
Barracuda: Beetleweight Vert... hates working...
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I finished up these two guys yesterday, they're to be sold to help fund repairs to my featherweight team.

Test video for the left ant: https://youtu.be/ELMygE_SkRQ
Test Video for the right ant: https://youtu.be/uURhrf_ffhs
The left ant is a rotary flipper so that mechanism can rotate all the way around the chassis.

Post AWS 50 Rundown
I realised I never did one of these!

I Said I Was Sawry:
Not the best of draws plus my inexperience with the robot punished it in this AWS but I was pleased with it and it was a fun robot to try and use. With enough practice I'll have you all running for the pit! :D

Wedge Wedge Wedge:
Surprisingly this seems to be my most competitive bot now even after the dodgy driving we displayed!

OCOSD (Running under Test Robot Please Ignore):
Last minute switch into the team after realising Test was in no fighting shape. This bot did me proud exploding a few bots and managing to place 5th along the way. I'll be a little sad when I actually have to hand it over to its owner might have to build myself one!

ICBINS: It did pretty well but it seems that it just doesn't have the armour to deal with spinners anymore!
As punishment for not winning though I ductaped it to a bot and entered it into Hebocon:

Hebocon Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txqfRsQkFMc

Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

I was looking at being 'original' and designing a 2wd version of breaker box / shockwave and now you built one better than mine and my budget, interesting technique of rotation tho, I might have copied you if I hadn't cut the 3rd and 4th motors off like 20 minutes ago goddamnit
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Mine is to be sold so you can still make your own.

If you're interested it uses 2 70 RPM motors for the flipper powered by a single VEX 29 ESC (available for ~£10 from RS). Pretty cheap to build.