20th August 2016 - The Oxford Games, Carterton

Place discussions about upcoming events here in this thread.

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

razerdave

Re: June 4 2016 - The Oxford Games, Carterton

Post by razerdave »

Sorry about the lateness of all this guys, issues with money and venues not helping.

Slight communication breakdown between Joey and me, the raceway is a 2 robot event like the football with each robot facing each other over 3 laps.
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Will be along.

Warning: one of my bots is Oaf.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

The format sounds really interesting and fun my only reservation is the football.
If both robots have to compete then single member teams will have to find someone to help drive and if one of the team is a spinner it is not really suitable or safe to use on the football pitch unless it is put in a covered arena which makes putting the ball and robots back in a lot more difficult.
Couldn't each team put up one robot and you draw to see who they are partnered with for the football.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

The problem is that complicates scoring because then you need to attribute the points from matches to more than one team, and it all gets a little bit confusing :( I see it as a bit like the old Robot Wars format - it encourages people to bring spinners they can actually drive and control as well, rather than just a weapon on wheels. (it's a shame you don't still have Variant!)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Hey Pete

Yeah the drawback of the football is the requirement of a second driver. The spinner bit, I would hope people would have the sense not to run one in the football nor run the weapon if they have no choice.

The one thing that could be done is if you can't find another driver (or all your robots are on 1 TX) then we could potentially run it 1 on 1.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

If each team is allowed only two robots and you want a spinner for full combat you have no choice but to run a spinner in the football.
Where you can tell people not to use the spinner the throttle could be opened accidentally or a fault could develop so you would need to be in an enclosed arena for safety reasons.
Maybe the answer is to allow 3 robots per team, only one of which is a spinner then no spinners in the football.
playzooki

Post by playzooki »

you could draw teams for a 2v2 and then give the winning people the amount of points you would normally give one person for football.
botomatic1000

Post by botomatic1000 »

Aww shame Titanomyrma was designed for football but I don't have any other bots.
Ethan Wall KINGS HEATH COLLIDERS
Current Robots: Sprat Bait: The worst 150g Wedge ever built...
Elysium 1.4: Antweight Undercutter, built by Team Riptide, Brummie glass cannon edition!
Barracuda: Beetleweight Vert... hates working...
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I had a couple of these concerns about the football too, but this is what was decided on - the safety concern is valid though, so after some discussion:

ADDITIONAL RULES FOR THE FOOTBALL

> The football matches will be held in Dave's football arena (which the older hands amongst us will recognise as Simon's football arena). For any matches involving robots with live spinner weapons (see below), this will be placed inside John Denny's arena (which I believe Dave is procuring the use of) to act as a battlebox.
> Spinners are not allowed to be activated during football, even in the battlebox. This will be a yellow and then red card offence (robot warned and then removed from the field of play).
> If you can disconnect the spinner power source, or physically remove the entire weapon (not just the blade), please consider doing so, as it saves us having to stick Dave's arena in John's arena.

Peter: The issue with three robots per team is making sure everyone has something to do during the day; with the format we have, each robot gets to take part in at least one event and a round (3 fights) of full combat, plus more if they win the group. If you have three robots per team someone might only get to take part in an event and not get to fight, and if you've travelled a hundred miles or so to be there a single round of nuts isn't very much return! If we have three rounds of combat then you start to dilute the whole 'games' aspect, and etc. etc....I hadn't thought about the safety issue though :oops: so thanks for pointing it out!

Ethan: Sign up anyway, single robot teams will be paired off on the day so you'll be in a team :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

That still seems pretty silly to be honest. A spinner with its weapon cut off might no longer be able to self right and might just get pushed around all over the place.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!